Gap in classes???

ET Brackets - Open
Super Street - 10.90 Index DOT & Tagged
Pro Street - Heads up with weight min. (4500 lb.?)
Pro Stock - Heads up with weight min. (2500 lb ?)
Top Diesel

This will keep Super Street from basically becoming Pro Street as it has this year.

Greg want to buy a truck?:D

I don't care for bracket racing myself, but it is the only way to give a fair shake to everyone when the ET's have a big spread. But nothing is more frustrating when a guy shows up with a 17.50 dial-in, and runs the same ET every pass because it doesn't spin the tires, and he leaves from idle.

The way many tracks deal with that is Bracket 1 and Bracket 2. I suppose for diesels it would break at 14.00 since that's where the helmet break is.

We had 2 bracket classes until this year. We melted the two together to create Super Street. Its hard to add classes when you can't fill the ones you have.

I've never seen that rule but the track always has the right to makes tighter rules than the NHRA dictates. Carlsbad made everyone wear helmets regardless of ET, and no passengers ever.

If you look on page 65 of the 2009 NHRA rule book under protective clothing it says that any Non OEM turbocharged vehicle, the driver must wear a SFI 3.2A/1 jacket. Some track officials read it as "it came with a turbo, you don't need one" others "thats not the turbo(s) it came with, you need one"

ET Brackets - Open
Super Street - 10.90 Index DOT & Tagged
Pro Street - Heads up with weight min. (4500 lb.?)
Pro Stock - Heads up with weight min. (2500 lb ?)
Top Diesel

This will keep Super Street from basically becoming Pro Street as it has this year.

I would vote for this one for sure. except for the brackets being open, it wont be fair to the fast guys to run against a 20 second truck in bracket... just opinion.

I think Super street needs to be heads up for sure, fully insuarable and registerable vehicle with DOT tires. a 10.90 index on superstreet would be allright.

Superstreet may grow huge with this index or it may hurt it... hard to say.
I know the orange truck will be most likely running in some class next year, but with a new driver behind the wheel.

And I think she would rather run alittle slower so the index works for us.

Aaron

The fire jacket rule has been in place now for two years. All the tracks that I've been to have enforced it.

Our super street truck was insured and tagged in 09.

I guess we could work with Greg's idea. Our super street truck becomes a very heavy pro street truck, or is way detuned and runs super street. I'll just have to redo the 5 position switch tuning.

This might get Mr. Breedlove back in 2010.

Last edited:
until more trucks start filling the classes, and people start going to more events that aren't in there back yard, i say leave the classes alone for one more year to allow the sport to grow. please post how many events you went to last year, and how far from home they were. dockgirl did you even attend any nhrda events last year and how many.

dockgirl did you even attend any nhrda events last year and how many.

More than you did numbnuts! LOL
_1014673.jpg

_1014806.jpg

_1014853.jpg

_1014915.jpg

_1014951.jpg

_1015006.jpg

_1015008.jpg

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8MD0W6AUGk[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAmZQxVsMs[/MEDIA]

until more trucks start filling the classes, and people start going to more events that aren't in there back yard, i say leave the classes alone for one more year to allow the sport to grow. please post how many events you went to last year, and how far from home they were. dockgirl did you even attend any nhrda events last year and how many.

I attended 12 events in Divisions 1, 2, and 6 running in the Sportsman ET class. Here are the one way distances from Kent, WA.

1500 - Speedworld Dragstrip, Phoenix, Division 2.
150 - Portland International Raceway, Division 1.
60 - Bremerton Raceway, Bremerton, WA, Division 1.
870 - Castrol Raceway, Edmonton, AB, Division 6.
750 - Top Gun Raceway, Fallon, NV, Division 2.
830 - Yellowstone Dragstrip, Billings, MT, Division 1.
740 - Medicine Hat Dragstrip, Medicine Hat, AB, Division 6.
250 - Spokane Raceway, Spokane, WA, Division 1.
180 - Woodburn Dragstrip, Woodburn, OR, Division 1.
870 - Castrol Raceway, Edmonton, AB, Division 2.
450 - Champion Raceway, Medford, OR, Division 1.
570 - Redding Dragstrip, Redding, CA, Division 2.
490 - Firebird Raceway, Boise, ID, West Regional Finals.

Total distance one way - 7710, round trip 15420. That's just getting there and back.

40 mi. - Portland Int'l Raceway- Portland, Oregon
200 mi. - Bremerton Raceway- Bremerton, Washington
375 mi. - Spokane Raceway Park- Spokane, Washington
15 mi. - Woodburn Dragstrip- Woodburn, Oregon
260 mi. - NW Nationals - Champion Raceway- Medford, Oregon
450 mi. - Regional Championship - Firebird Raceway- Boise, Idaho

That's a measly 2600 miles for me

Jim, even if you don't race next year, come say hello at a race or two if you can make it. It was a pleasure racing with you this year, and congrats on your accomplishments.

Jerry

I attended 12 events in Divisions 1, 2, and 6 running in the Sportsman ET class. Here are the one way distances from Kent, WA.

1500 - Speedworld Dragstrip, Phoenix, Division 2.
150 - Portland International Raceway, Division 1.
60 - Bremerton Raceway, Bremerton, WA, Division 1.
870 - Castrol Raceway, Edmonton, AB, Division 6.
750 - Top Gun Raceway, Fallon, NV, Division 2.
830 - Yellowstone Dragstrip, Billings, MT, Division 1.
740 - Medicine Hat Dragstrip, Medicine Hat, AB, Division 6.
250 - Spokane Raceway, Spokane, WA, Division 1.
180 - Woodburn Dragstrip, Woodburn, OR, Division 1.
870 - Castrol Raceway, Edmonton, AB, Division 2.
450 - Champion Raceway, Medford, OR, Division 1.
570 - Redding Dragstrip, Redding, CA, Division 2.
490 - Firebird Raceway, Boise, ID, West Regional Finals.

Total distance one way - 7710, round trip 15420. That's just getting there and back.

Jim what you did was totally amazing. YOU DA MAN!!! If even half of the people who race in NHRDA were as dedicated as you we would be on easy street as it pertains to participants.

But nothing is more frustrating when a guy shows up with a 17.50 dial-in, and runs the same ET every pass because it doesn't spin the tires, and he leaves from idle.

Every once in awhile, Michael redlights, so he is beatable. :D :D :D

Seriously tho, I dont care for the spread either. Im on the slower side of things at 15.60's, and lining up against a truck that runs 12's, and making him wait at the line for three and a half seconds sucks. Thats not racing. Its even worse when they go up against michael at 17.40's

But be that as it may, what has really been stopping the trucks I race with in the NW is crank shaft height. Many of the guys from my ford club are "over legal" even tho they run faster on the freeway TOWING than they do at the track.

The current rule is 36" to center. Typical ford with 6" lift and 35" tires is in the 39" range. Id like to see 14.00 and slower be the bracket class, and be allowed 40" to crank center. 12.00 to 13.99 lowered to the 36" rule, and then down to 24" as the rules state for faster classes.

Ive been told dont bother showing up to Mission. Bremerton gives me a harder and harder time each race, Portland knows Im over, but lets me race purely because they "know me". Seattle never checked. And I didnt make it to any other tracks this season.

Since most tracks don't have tall enough safety barriers I doubt that will ever get changed. But some tracks check crank height, some do not... kind of a crap shoot. I do agree with you however, if a truck roling on 35's, 37's, 40's wants to run in the brackets I don't see a problem with it, most of the time that truck is not going to run faster than high 15's anyways.

the lifted truck rule i agree with. I seen a lifted chevy gas job on 37s hit a guard rail couple years back at my home track the guard rail took out the front end it stayd on the track side of the wall. The truck went over the rail and when the back tires hit the rail it flipped over on the roof and landed hard. the driver of the truck was paralyzed from the waist down. We had an RCMP crash investagater there and he said that a stock height truck would have been contained by the rail.

Im a firm advocate that lifted trucks stay off the track.
just my two cents

I believe there is a gap in classes but also the rules of these classes needs to be inforced. Let the sport grow another year then think about changing things. But when you leave a track and you get beat by a truck that is known to be way to light but you never weighed the truck and you pass through tech and the scales are right there thats whats frustrating to me.

I believe there is a gap in classes but also the rules of these classes needs to be inforced. Let the sport grow another year then think about changing things. But when you leave a track and you get beat by a truck that is known to be way to light but you never weighed the truck and you pass through tech and the scales are right there thats whats frustrating to me.

We were never confronted with that problem, maybe a heads up to the guys running the event if you think the truck is light. Most tracks have scales some do not. Even better tell the officials running the event you believe truck X is too light for the class, and if it's in the money it should be weighed. We are probably only talking about Superstreet there.

When I was racing the 12.0 index classes in DHRA and NADM we were averaging from 12 - 18 trucks per race. One of the best races I remember was the Alabama Comp D race where the whole field of trucks were capable of running in the 11's so it became a game of cutting a good lite and trying to push the other guy out. It is a fun class and super close racing.
I think an 11.8 or 11.75 index would be great so you could run it with out putting in a bar and you would still get alot of fast daily drivers in it.

i feel like there is a big difference between prostreet and superstreet, i beleive a truck running superstreet needs to be completly "dot sound" mirrors, tires, tagged, even go as far as winsheild wipers you got have them for inspection. The aspect of superstreet is awesome i just think its being stetched and rules should be inforced. These are trucks that are suppose to be street sound. Just some thoughts.

i feel like there is a big difference between prostreet and superstreet, i beleive a truck running superstreet needs to be completly "dot sound" mirrors, tires, tagged, even go as far as winsheild wipers you got have them for inspection. The aspect of superstreet is awesome i just think its being stetched and rules should be inforced. These are trucks that are suppose to be street sound. Just some thoughts.

Just curious where you are coming from with this. Are there trucks your division that don't meet the current rules? You keep saying rules need to be enforced....?

Quite frankly the specs you listed don't really restrict anything.

I think I understand what you are saying. But anything short of a car seat complete with baby and/or a dog riding in the bed is pretty hard to say what a real "street truck" is.

I agree Cole and why I believe SuperStreet needs to be Indexed. If it is left "open ended" ET wise it will become, and already has IMO, ProStreet. Where typically those with the most money/resources dominate. Index racing is still heads up racing but it puts a limit in place that forces you to move up in class if you desire to go faster. There are plenty of "Street" trucks that are capable of running high 10's, low 11's. That is why I suggested a 10.90 Index. If you don't want to put a bar in, run 11.5 and take your chances. It is still heads up but you know you won't be racing a 9 sec. truck and 1/2 a sec only takes a small mistake to over come. Having an Index with a safety margin for the bar rule (11.8-12.0) basically leaves the 11 flat guys languishing in the "gap" still. Way too slow for ProStreet and having to slow way down for a 12.0 Index.

Strictly going by "Current Registration" and/or "DOT sound" will be difficult IMO also for a number of reasons.

One, here in Maryland atleast, a vehicle only gets "State Inspected" once before you apply for a registration and also diesels are exempt from the anual "Emmisions Inspection". So, basically once you have a diesel truck in Maryland registered and tagged, you can literally strip and chop it into an all out race vehicle yet it would still have and be able to keep a "Current Registration".

Two, someone at the race would need to tech this "DOT Sound". The track Techs are not going to do this so that would fall on an organization offical. A clarification and specific rules would need to be written declaring the definition and rules of "DOT Sound" that would be more than just "Current Registration".

As in all racing, every competitor has the right to issue a "Protest" if they feel another competitor is not conforming to the "intent" of the rules for a particular class. Especially if that person is "In the Money".

Back