Good idea hauling two trucks on one trailer?

mjf1989

How safe is it to haul two pulling trucks on one gooseneck trailer with a one ton dually pick-up truck?

Ive seen a crew cab short bed dmax and a ext. cab long bed dodge on the same trailer at a few pulls around here. both of them are pull trucks. It worked out fine from what I saw.

Both trucks are dodge 2nd generations one is a regular cab long bed and the other is a extended cab long bed.

With the suitcase weights they weigh 16,000 pounds together

I would do it with a dually in a heartbeat... might be alittle squirrelly with a SRW.

Provided the trailer is built for that weight and it has brakes on it, I don't see the problem provided you can balance the load correctly.

A dually dosent help squat for pulling. In fact you actually lose GCVW with a dually. A dually really shines when you have a direct load on it.

As for 16k,, no problem,, probably not legal, but I towed my 5th wheel with my 2500 duramax, it was 15k dry.. I usually loaded up with water etc

Anyone who has ever towed with a dually will know your statement is wrong, Morkable. My boat weighs 18k with a tongue weight of around 1600lbs. My single rear wheel F-350 sways bad towing the boat, but you almost forget it's behind my Dually. No way a single rear wheel is more stable. Just simple physics proves that 4 rear tires provide less sidewall flex and a more stable ride.

If you are having swaying issues towing your boat there is other problems than having a dually,, I have towed lots (and I mean lots) with both duallys and non duallys... a dually is great is you have a heavy static load (like a camper or a load of grain or whatever) as it as you stated gives you that side to side control (extra width more rubber on the ground) But when towing, you only have 300 to 1000 lbs on the truck,, unless of course you dont balance your load right. With this weight on a hitch it isnt going to change anything if you have a dually or a single rear wheel... what a dually does do is cut down your gcvw rating as it is much heavier... which is simple physics..

A dually dosent help squat for pulling. In fact you actually lose GCVW with a dually. A dually really shines when you have a direct load on it.

As for 16k,, no problem,, probably not legal, but I towed my 5th wheel with my 2500 duramax, it was 15k dry.. I usually loaded up with water etc

If thats true, then if you have 2 identical trucks, but one is DRW and the other SRW, why does the dually have a heavier weight rating? I'm just saying, that in my experience, a dually is alot more stable with a load behind it.

10% of 18k is 1800lbs. Tongue weight on a triple axle trailer should be 9-14% of gross trailer weight. Trust me it is set up perfect. There is NO WAY a single rear wheel will pull equal. Unless you are talking Dodge dually to Ford single because good engine or not Dodge's tow like azz. LOL

morkable usually has some intelligent statements but, i gotta go with sinner on this one except for dodges towing like ass....... Dually handle the load so much better.

Your going to be standing alone on this one Kevin, dually hands down. I'll give up that tiny bit of GCWR any day of the week for the wide axle and two extra wheels.

:umno: With a dually you have more control in turns, Can haul MORE wieght, and have the added benefit of two rear tires per side. Controling a dually with a blow out is easy, but on a single rear wheel truck you are going for a ride. BTW I had a dually and a single rear wheel dodge at the same time, and the dually pulled trailers better and safer than the single rear wheel

If you are having swaying issues towing your boat there is other problems than having a dually,, I have towed lots (and I mean lots) with both duallys and non duallys... a dually is great is you have a heavy static load (like a camper or a load of grain or whatever) as it as you stated gives you that side to side control (extra width more rubber on the ground) But when towing, you only have 300 to 1000 lbs on the truck,, unless of course you dont balance your load right. With this weight on a hitch it isnt going to change anything if you have a dually or a single rear wheel... what a dually does do is cut down your gcvw rating as it is much heavier... which is simple physics..

Prob why they run singles on OTR trucks :umno:

If thats true, then if you have 2 identical trucks, but one is DRW and the other SRW, why does the dually have a heavier weight rating? I'm just saying, that in my experience, a dually is alot more stable with a load behind it.

A dually can haul more weight in the box, but can tow less. (legally) This due to the fact that the dually weighs more than a srw. It is right in the specs for the truck.

I know I am standing alone on this, but I am ok with that. I have towed alot, and not just with a dodge, I have had chevys and fords too. In fact as much as I hate to admit it, my duramax that I just got rid of was one of the best tow rigs I have ever had.

When I have towed with duallys I have found that I have gained nothing with stability (at least with a bumper pull) to be honest all my srw's have been the only 5th wheel tow beasts. I find with the duallys it costs me more to tow as I am repacing 4 tires at a time , and it seems to be more often. Also due to the fact that geneally duallys come with lower gear ratios (I realize not always but generally) that you dont get near as good of fuel mileage. I am quite sure that even if they had the same gearing that the srw will get better mileage (less weight and rolling resistance)

I have also snow mobiled alot in the mountains. We use snowmobile decks alot rather than trailers due to the bad roads. My freind runs a 2001 ford f350 drw, which had traded his f350 srw off on.. He liked the dually better for hauling the sleds (we would load 3 sleds on his deck) but he liked towing with his SRW better, and he towed basically every day He has a bobcat business screwing in screw piles. He had a big gooseneck trailer that he would carry his skidsteer and 16 to 20 piles and his attachments, over 20000 pounds.

This is my opinion based on many miles of driving,, so you can take it for what its worth I guess

:umno: With a dually you have more control in turns, Can haul MORE wieght, and have the added benefit of two rear tires per side. Controling a dually with a blow out is easy, but on a single rear wheel truck you are going for a ride. BTW I had a dually and a single rear wheel dodge at the same time, and the dually pulled trailers better and safer than the single rear wheel

This would be true if you were carrying the weight over the axel,, but not with a trailer

Prob why they run singles on OTR trucks :umno:

OTR trucks carry more weight and need to have the dual wheels to carry the weight,, hence why they have tandems... totally differnt animal from what I am talking about

Provided the trailer is built for that weight and it has brakes on it, I don't see the problem provided you can balance the load correctly.

The trailer is a 40 foot dual tandem and it has electric brakes. Right now me and buddy are thinking about buying it. My buddy would be the one pullng it with his 2006 GMC 3500.

Right now we have two trucks and trailers to go to pulls with but he wants to buy the bigger trailer for two trucks because we are planning on traveling to pulls farther away this summer.

He thinks backing the extended cab on first then pulling the regular cab on forward will balance the weight pretty good

We've done it. had to tow at night to help keep the temps down but the truck handled it fine.

StuffOffDell465.jpg