Good idea hauling two trucks on one trailer?

That's a LIGHT load, try hauling a 3-4 car extension type trailer with 4 old Dusters on it. TOTAL GCVWR was 28,000 pounds on a 1974 1 ton Dodge Cab & Chassis.
EMPTY the trailer was 4,000 pounds.

I had the fortune of dragging that behmoth load through the Rockies, in winter, on I-70 through Colorado.
More than one moment of pooper pucker on that run.:doh:

What this guy is trying to do is tinker toys by comparison.

Mark.

You are so lost :hehe:

That's a LIGHT load, try hauling a 3-4 car extension type trailer with 4 old Dusters on it. TOTAL GCVWR was 28,000 pounds on a 1974 1 ton Dodge Cab & Chassis.
EMPTY the trailer was 4,000 pounds.

I had the fortune of dragging that behmoth load through the Rockies, in winter, on I-70 through Colorado.
More than one moment of pooper pucker on that run.:doh:

What this guy is trying to do is tinker toys by comparison.

Mark.

How exactly are 4 cars that weigh around 3500 pounds apiece lighter then 2 trucks that weigh 8000 pounds apiece?

Last time I checked 16,000 pounds was heavier then 14,000

And a 40 foot gooseneck isn't exactly light when it is empty

How exactly are 4 cars that weigh around 3500 pounds apiece lighter then 2 trucks that weigh 8000 pounds apiece?

Last time I checked 16,000 pounds was heavier then 14,000

And a 40 foot gooseneck isn't exactly light when it is empty
It's not just the weight, it's the LENGTH.
My rig was right at 63 feet with a 10 foot rear sweep behind the trailer wheels.
A tractor trailer is easier to turn around, trust me.

Also, technically, he's FEDERALLY REQUIRED to have a CDL, since he is, as pictured, over 26,000 pounds GCVW.
There is no "private", or "recreational" exemption on that.
If the DOT stops you over 26,000 pounds, it's very likely you WILL be dropping a trailer until you get a CDL, or someone with one, to drive it away.

A triple axle trailer behind a pick-up with no DOT numbers is like a magnet to these DOT guys, it's nearly certain that the driver doesn't hold a CDL and the federal safety laws are always in their (DOT's) favor.

Mark.

It's not just the weight, it's the LENGTH.
My rig was right at 63 feet with a 10 foot rear sweep behind the trailer wheels.
A tractor trailer is easier to turn around, trust me.

Also, technically, he's FEDERALLY REQUIRED to have a CDL, since he is, as pictured, over 26,000 pounds GCVW.
There is no "private", or "recreational" exemption on that.
If the DOT stops you over 26,000 pounds, it's very likely you WILL be dropping a trailer until you get a CDL, or someone with one, to drive it away.

A triple axle trailer behind a pick-up with no DOT numbers is like a magnet to these DOT guys, it's nearly certain that the driver doesn't hold a CDL and the federal safety laws are always in their (DOT's) favor.

Mark.

I was under the impression that you must hold a CDL if the trailer you are planning to tow is capable of making your GCVW in excess of 26,000lbs.

I was under the impression that you must hold a CDL if the trailer you are planning to tow is capable of making your GCVW in excess of 26,000lbs.

That is one good thing about living in OK. My truck and trailers are Farm tagged and exempts us from CDL's. The catch is you must be engaged in farm use within 150 miles of home. It would however be hard to explain a truck or two on a trailer with hood stacks and weights on the front. :hehe:

Only way around that would be if you had a totter home with "camper" plates pulling it.

Only way around that would be if you had a totter home with "camper" plates pulling it.

I get around it by having a Class A license, but noticed a few times in this thread people having mentioned the specific loads they were carrying in reference to needing a CDL and wondered if it was different from state to state as here it's not the load, but the vehicle that determines the licensing.

For instance, here in GA an empty 10 ton gooseneck can't be legally pulled by anything we've been talking about without a CDL.

To the best of my knowledge anyway.

I get around it by having a Class A license, but noticed a few times in this thread people having mentioned the specific loads they were carrying in reference to needing a CDL and wondered if it was different from state to state as here it's not the load, but the vehicle that determines the licensing.

For instance, here in GA an empty 10 ton gooseneck can't be legally pulled by anything we've been talking about without a CDL.

To the best of my knowledge anyway.

I thought the CDL rules were unified state to state?

I thought the CDL rules were unified state to state?

For CMV's, commercial motor vehicles, they are unified state to state. But the gray area comes in with private use, recreational use, farm use and so forth. Texas or Oklahoma, as examples, have some pretty lenient license requirements as far as weights go, when it comes to farm use.

In WI, any travel trailer, or 5th wheel, being pulled by a private pickup, regardless of length and weight, does not require a CDL to be legal. That means you can take your 18k + lb, 50 ft 5'er, hook it to your 8k + lb pickup, and cruise on through, even tho you're at 26k+. If you're delivering RV's, it's a different story, but when using it for your own recreation/pleasure, it's not required to have CDL of any type.

And there are some states that consider you comercial if you have sponsor sticker on the trucks you are towing and if you have them on your inclosed trailors also.

Well, This thread turned into another cdl dispute. My .02 is if you think your truck can handle the load on the highway no matter what you may be faced with then do it. As far as the rest of the thread goes just check with your local laws and federal laws before setting out on the road or take the risk and get stopped by authorities and get heavily fined for what you should have found out about in the first place.

FWIW, The only thing different state by state is your vehicle and trailer licensing laws based on weight or farm use etc. When you talk commercial and overall weight of what your driving and hauling no matter for what use if you EXCEED 25,999 GCWR your class C license is not going to cover you any longer and neither will a class B if you will have something in tow behind what your driving. So you need a Class A license either commercial or non commercial. Also, Goggle or your favorite search engine is a great source of clearing up confusion.

My .02 is if you think your truck can handle the load on the highway no matter what you may be faced with then do it.

People are stupid... You're saying everyone that believes their vehicle is perfectly safe on the road, is?

Well, This thread turned into another cdl dispute. My .02 is if you think your truck can handle the load on the highway no matter what you may be faced with then do it. As far as the rest of the thread goes just check with your local laws and federal laws before setting out on the road or take the risk and get stopped by authorities and get heavily fined for what you should have found out about in the first place.

FWIW, The only thing different state by state is your vehicle and trailer licensing laws based on weight or farm use etc. When you talk commercial and overall weight of what your driving and hauling no matter for what use if you EXCEED 25,999 GCWR your class C license is not going to cover you any longer and neither will a class B if you will have something in tow behind what your driving. So you need a Class A license either commercial or non commercial. Also, Goggle or your favorite search engine is a great source of clearing up confusion.

:clap:we have a winner.i'm glad you wrote this your wright.

Dale

People are stupid... You're saying everyone that believes their vehicle is perfectly safe on the road, is?

i realy don't think he ment it the way it sounded we all know there are alot of stupit people out there that don't even nead to be pulling a trailer or even driving a truck.
I see it evryday.I drive one for a living.It is damm scarry some times.

Dale

I got stopped the other day empty nothing on the trailer. Guess what my truck is gvw 9200 SW F350 and trailer 20,000 Gn. and the cop ask where is your cdl? I was empty but could legaly haul 26,001lb so I needed a cdl needless to say I got a ticket and now have a permit for a cdl.

What I meant was you can have the most powerful truck in the world but are you going to have the braking power when you come around a corner and notice that traffic is at a stop. It's kind of like the loser I passed the other day on the highway pulling a used caprice police car on a two axle hooked to a little s-10 almost dragging the bumper and a 4-pin light hookup. :badidea:

:clap:we have a winner.i'm glad you wrote this your wright.

Dale

To tell the truth I had to learn the hard way. I tried every way there was to get around needing a cdl but it became hard to find any loop holes in the federal laws. After I bit the bullet and got my cdl it made me wonder why I wasted my time trying to be unsafe and at risk of fines. But there is alot more to know about for instance, Trailer GVW which means just because you have a 10ton GN doesn't mean you can load 10ton on the trailer.

Maybe we need a sticky in this forum for ACTUAL hauling laws by State and Federal to clear up everything and helping the fellow members to be safer for themselves, Their precious cargo and everyone else on the roadways. Just a thought.