Good idea hauling two trucks on one trailer?

As long as it has a duramax in it you will be fine:rockwoot: Seriously though our two SRW duramax's have pulled twice that on our gooseneck with out a problem. Like previously stated a well balanced load, and trailer designed to carry that much or more weight with suficient breaks will be fine towing around 16k+

Whats the GCW of the load in the pic above? Surprised you were having problems with temps....

Not sure what the GCW is for it. Each truck is around 8,300 with the extra weight we take. The Ranger I would imagine is around 1,500 then a couple hundred pounds of tools. Say 20,000 plus the trailer.

We had no problem except on big mountain passes. we took it to Denver and had to stop at the top of a couple to let her cool down.

A dually can haul more weight in the box, but can tow less. (legally) This due to the fact that the dually weighs more than a srw. It is right in the specs for the truck.

I know I am standing alone on this, but I am ok with that. I have towed alot, and not just with a dodge, I have had chevys and fords too. In fact as much as I hate to admit it, my duramax that I just got rid of was one of the best tow rigs I have ever had.

When I have towed with duallys I have found that I have gained nothing with stability (at least with a bumper pull) to be honest all my srw's have been the only 5th wheel tow beasts. I find with the duallys it costs me more to tow as I am repacing 4 tires at a time , and it seems to be more often. Also due to the fact that geneally duallys come with lower gear ratios (I realize not always but generally) that you dont get near as good of fuel mileage. I am quite sure that even if they had the same gearing that the srw will get better mileage (less weight and rolling resistance)

I have also snow mobiled alot in the mountains. We use snowmobile decks alot rather than trailers due to the bad roads. My freind runs a 2001 ford f350 drw, which had traded his f350 srw off on.. He liked the dually better for hauling the sleds (we would load 3 sleds on his deck) but he liked towing with his SRW better, and he towed basically every day He has a bobcat business screwing in screw piles. He had a big gooseneck trailer that he would carry his skidsteer and 16 to 20 piles and his attachments, over 20000 pounds.

This is my opinion based on many miles of driving,, so you can take it for what its worth I guess

OK I agree that a SRW will do better in snow. Thats a no brainer. I dont see how a SRW with 2 rear tires rated at 3195lbs is better then 4 rated at 3195lbs. I mean I have a 32ft gooseneck that Ive towed with my SRW 3500 and a DRW 3500 the same load and a dually you can pretty much forget about it. The SRW I get nervous about when Im towing something heavy because of the sway and not overloading the tires and having a blowout. Thats why when this truck is paid for Im buying a dually.
O yeah and 2nd gens dont tow that great but 3rd gens tow great.

A dually can haul more weight in the box, but can tow less. (legally) This due to the fact that the dually weighs more than a srw. It is right in the specs for the truck.

Opinions are fine, and I can respect whatever opinion you have, but facts are facts.

According to the 2010 Ford SuperDuty brochure

F250 Max Payload 3220 lbs
F350 Max Payload 5730 lbs

F250 Max GCWR 23,000 lbs
F350 Max GCWR 26,000 lbs

*F250 is a SRW truck, F350 is a DRW for this example. Trucks are spec'd out as light as possible.

Say what you want, but slapping 2 fiberglass fenders and an extra wheel and tire on each side does not add 2510 lbs to the truck, meaning the truck with dual rear wheels still has more load carrying capacity, both in the bed, and with a trailer.

Not sure what the GCW is for it. Each truck is around 8,300 with the extra weight we take. The Ranger I would imagine is around 1,500 then a couple hundred pounds of tools. Say 20,000 plus the trailer.

We had no problem except on big mountain passes. we took it to Denver and had to stop at the top of a couple to let her cool down.

Gotcha. I would estimate the trailer to be around 7,000 lbs. Thats a pretty respectable load. I'm sure you weren't taking it easy up the hills through Denver.:st:

Good looking setup you got there.

Gotcha. I would estimate the trailer to be around 7,000 lbs. Thats a pretty respectable load. I'm sure you weren't taking it easy up the hills through Denver.:st:

Good looking setup you got there.

We always seem to leave late so we were pullin a little quicker than usual to make up for lost time (probably evened out since having to stop). I was surprised how well it did though. It sure got alot of looks on the way down LOL

morkable i totally see what your saying.

Ky 38,000 farm plate
you have 8k for tow truck you have 8k for trailer you have 8k each for two trucks on the trailer your at 32,000 lbs you have a 6k window. All saying single rear wheel, then you go to a dually you change your gross wieght do to the added drive train. Cause you take the total gross wieght. Depending on how the plates state on the truck you can tow more legally with a srw.

If you are going to be 100% legal, you should always plate your truck/trailer for the bare minimum of their GVWRs.

In IL (for example) you can plate your pickup at 8k, and the next step up is 12k. The GVWR on my truck is 11,200 lbs, so I have 12k plates.

My trailer has a GVWR of 25,900 lbs. IL trailer plates go from 20k, to 32k. So I have 32,000 lbs plates for my trailer.

12k truck
32k trailer

Plated for 44,000 lbs.

Obviously I will never gross that much with a pickup, the most I can legally gross, assuming I don't exceed any axle weights is 11,200 lbs + 25,900 lbs is 37,100 lbs.

I know different states have different plate laws, but in the end the sticker on the door, and the sticker on the trailer will determine the max GCW of the two together.

We've done it. had to tow at night to help keep the temps down but the truck handled it fine.

StuffOffDell465.jpg

Just wondering what the length of that trailer is

actually a number of highway hauling companies use super single tires for not only the drive axle but also the trailer. generally they find the handling to be acceptable from what i've read. first time i heard of it was waaaaaay back in the olden days(1986) no one even talks about it anymore so i guess the people using don't find it a big enough deal to talk about it. they found less sidewalls =less rolling resistance =better fuel mileage. if i recall correctly in metric size they are about a 445. if you wanted big rig sized drag slicks they would be a good starting place

I agree 100% with the DRW vs SRW war as I am pull with both. In the pic the travel trailer is 53' long with triple axles. All three axles have brakes on them and the trailer is balanced very well. It pulls hard due to the weight but what can a guy expect. Whole rig tips the scales at 29,000 :bang and yes its a Dodge 07 with a 6.7 bone stock for warranty reasons right now, soon that will change.:charger:

Attachments

• Editdodge.bmp
    236.3 KB · Views: 258
Forgot to mention I put almost 15,000 miles on it last year in the Texas heat at 110 degrees and never had an issue. Its a short bed as well and its had four cat's replaced on it.

Morkable is right on the statement about the dually having less gvw but there is one thing he is leaving out. The highest gvw truck is a two wheel drive reg cab dually. 4x4 and dually does hurt your gvw. I too have hauled loads with a sinlge wheel truck that was plum freaking dangerous but a dually is still the best hands down. The heavier the load the more weight i put on the truck. You cant tow 20000 with 6500 lbs and have it handle correctly

my f350 is a srw

Ok. In my example the F350 was a DRW. I was just making a point that identically equipped trucks, with one being a DRW, and one being a SRW, the DRW still has more load capacity. If I am wrong, prove it to me with numbers.

Ok. In my example the F350 was a DRW. I was just making a point that identically equipped trucks, with one being a DRW, and one being a SRW, the DRW still has more load capacity. If I am wrong, prove it to me with numbers.

Look on fords website F250, F350 SRW are both in the same category for towing. Then DRW F350 is in its own 2010 Ford Super Duty Towing Capacity | The Official Site of the 2010 Ford Super Duty | FordVehicles.com according to them doesnt seem to matter if its a st cab 2wd or a crew cab 4wd just if its SRW or DRW. the combined weight changes but not what the trailer can weigh. Seems backward to me but thats what I gather from there website.

Last edited:
The max GVWR list found here

2010 Ford Super Duty Payload capacity | The Official Site of the 2010 Ford Super Duty | FordVehicles.com

Still shows a DRW truck as having the highest payload capacity.

And this chart.

2010 Ford Super Duty Towing Capacity | The Official Site of the 2010 Ford Super Duty | FordVehicles.com

Shows that a crew cab SRW has a max conventional towing capacity of 12,500 lbs, while a DRW has a max conventional towing capacity of 15,000 lbs.

When you get into the 5th wheel towing chart, which is most applicable for this conversation, it gets more specific because the weights vary widely based on what rear end gear you have. In some cases the SRW truck has a higher max 5th wheel weight, by 100 lbs, move up to a deeper gear in the DRW and the GVW jumps up 2500 lbs.

** All of these comparisons were using the 6.4L motor.

None of this really matters, since the originally poster won't be towing with a 6.4L powered 2010 Superduty. :bang It was all just for example. The chart does show however, in one specific case that the SRW can tow 100 lbs more.

Prob why they run singles on OTR trucks :umno:
They do, I have several of them and not because the trucks their on haul less. Actually because of the lighter weight they haul more.

I know I am standing alone on this, but I am ok with that. I have towed alot, and not just with a dodge, I have had chevys and fords too. In fact as much as I hate to admit it, my duramax that I just got rid of was one of the best tow rigs I have ever had.

When I have towed with duallys I have found that I have gained nothing with stability (at least with a bumper pull) to be honest all my srw's have been the only 5th wheel tow beasts. I find with the duallys it costs me more to tow as I am repacing 4 tires at a time , and it seems to be more often. Also due to the fact that geneally duallys come with lower gear ratios (I realize not always but generally) that you dont get near as good of fuel mileage. I am quite sure that even if they had the same gearing that the srw will get better mileage (less weight and rolling resistance)

I have also snow mobiled alot in the mountains. We use snowmobile decks alot rather than trailers due to the bad roads. My freind runs a 2001 ford f350 drw, which had traded his f350 srw off on.. He liked the dually better for hauling the sleds (we would load 3 sleds on his deck) but he liked towing with his SRW better, and he towed basically every day He has a bobcat business screwing in screw piles. He had a big gooseneck trailer that he would carry his skidsteer and 16 to 20 piles and his attachments, over 20000 pounds.

This is my opinion based on many miles of driving,, so you can take it for what its worth I guess
Your not alone, most of the time a dually is a joke. Some guys believe with 2 more tires you can wear a bigger cowboy hat. If you have good tires a SRW will haul just as much as a dually. If you uncomfortable towing with a SRW then chances are you shouldn't be pulling a trailer. Must be the guys I pass in the right lane doing 45mph pulling a camper with white knuckles.

If you load the trailer right you don't need the extra tires. Just like the pic DPDiesel posted, A SRW would have hauled that just fine.

I took this from the owner's manual in the glovebox on my pickup parked outside.

2061583300082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

http://image75.webshots.com/75/5/83/30/2061583300082519711hZfiGq_ph.jpg

If someone can show me where it says anything about SRW vs DRW that would really help this whole thing along. Otherwise, just do as it states, and subtract GVW from the GCWR and deal with the fact that the DRW will have the lower rating.

Just as Morkable stated.

What he has also plainly stated is that the extra tires of the dually allow for more payload, not trailer weight. Just as the one guy before found so odd in the fact that the GCWR was higher for the Dually, but not the trailer weight. It wouldn't seem odd at all if you just realize that the GC can be higher when you can stuff more sh*t in the bed of the dually, bumping up the GC while leaving the trailer weight alone.

Last edited: