Good idea hauling two trucks on one trailer?

We've done it. had to tow at night to help keep the temps down but the truck handled it fine.

StuffOffDell465.jpg

I dont know about you guys statistics aside. I wouldnt haul this load with a single wheel. I dont care what anyone says.
By the way thats quite the rig love the 2 tone tow rig and the stacks on the puller.

I took this from the owner's manual in the glovebox on my pickup parked outside.

2061583300082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

http://image75.webshots.com/75/5/83/30/2061583300082519711hZfiGq_ph.jpg

If someone can show me where it says anything about SRW vs DRW that would really help this whole thing along. Otherwise, just do as it states, and subtract GVW from the GCWR and deal with the fact that the DRW will have the lower rating.

Just as Morkable stated.

What he has also plainly stated is that the extra tires of the dually allow for more payload, not trailer weight. Just as the one guy before found so odd in the fact that the GCWR was higher for the Dually, but not the trailer weight. It wouldn't seem odd at all if you just realize that the GC can be higher when you can stuff more sh*t in the bed of the dually, bumping up the GC while leaving the trailer weight alone.

Do tongue weights not play a factor here at all?

I can see both sides here. The only time a dually would be a better tow rig is when u have a unbalanced load IMHO. if u can balance the load correctly and run a little wider tire on a SRW truck then u will have no sway

It's not the number of tires, it's the quality of the tire. Buy cheap and that's what you get. You always see the guys with big baloon mud tires pulling a trailer. Probably the same ones complaining about excessive sway.

The GCWR, as listed by the manufacturer, shouldn't be confused to being the same as CGVWR which is the sum both vehicle GVWRs.

It is very common for truck trailer combinations to exceed the GCWR listed by the manufacturer.

When it comes down to CGVWR the dually's are always going to come out on top simply from the higher RAWR due to the extra load rating of the dual wheels.

If you check most manufacturer's owners manuals, you note they use phrases such as "should not exceed GCWR" rather than "shall not" implying it isn't based in a statutory restriction.

And on the super singles for the big trucks, that's a joke as well, up here we can't even licence as high as the duals, so right off the bat to run the super singles you can't haul as much.......:bang not only that they only represent about .05 % of the 17.5 million tires sold each year in the U.S.

:Cheer:

well we bought the trailer tonight so we will see what happens

the guy was a nice guy and let us bring the trailer home before buying it so we could make sure both trucks would fit on it

it will have to be my buddies gmc dually pulling it because it is either that or my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 mega cab with the hemi in it. I dont think the hemi is up to towing 20,000+ pounds:hehe:

The GCWR, as listed by the manufacturer, shouldn't be confused to being the same as CGVWR which is the sum both vehicle GVWRs.

It is very common for truck trailer combinations to exceed the GCWR listed by the manufacturer.

When it comes down to CGVWR the dually's are always going to come out on top simply from the higher RAWR due to the extra load rating of the dual wheels.

If you check most manufacturer's owners manuals, you note they use phrases such as "should not exceed GCWR" rather than "shall not" implying it isn't based in a statutory restriction.

And on the super singles for the big trucks, that's a joke as well, up here we can't even licence as high as the duals, so right off the bat to run the super singles you can't haul as much.......:bang not only that they only represent about .05 % of the 17.5 million tires sold each year in the U.S.

:Cheer:

The super single license restriction may have more to do with the effect the ground pressure will have on the roads you're planning to drive over (you know the ones the people restricting the license are responsible for paying to maintain...) than anything to do with them not actually being able to carry the same load.

I'm glad the arguement is about dually or not and not chains or straps agian. :hehe: I could care less about the specs and "approved" weight the stickers say. If you properly load and properly drive either a DRW or a SRW truck, you will be fine. And bumper trialers suck balz no matter what they are hooked to. One thing to keep in mind with a SRW, going down hill, using brakes, turning with a large load, the rear wheels may break loose and you'll jacknife. That is the only accident I can remember right off hand from around here....but that too is driver error. Know your load, know your truck, and pay attention. I vote dually and gooseneck, but that is all I drive.

08-01-08_1041.jpg

OK I agree that a SRW will do better in snow. Thats a no brainer. I dont see how a SRW with 2 rear tires rated at 3195lbs is better then 4 rated at 3195lbs......
One problem with that equation.
On a dually, the tires are rated at a slightly lower capacity, so while each tire is rated for 3195 SINGLE rating, they may have a DUAL rating of only 2870 each.

I've pulled MANY gooseneck trailers where I had a heavy 4x4, or SUV, in the point position, not by choice, but by order of successive drop points.
I'll take the loss of a few MPG, and extra tire wear, HANDS DOWN to the greasy, uneasy feeling of ANY breed of SRW truck.

My vote is always in the dually 2WDrive's favor, more stable, less empty weight and certainly much easier to maintain.
Then, of course, it HAS to be pre-electronic DODGE, so I can fix it at a reasonable price.

Mark.

One problem with that equation.
On a dually, the tires are rated at a slightly lower capacity, so while each tire is rated for 3195 SINGLE rating, they may have a DUAL rating of only 2870 each.

I've pulled MANY gooseneck trailers where I had a heavy 4x4, or SUV, in the point position, not by choice, but by order of successive drop points.
I'll take the loss of a few MPG, and extra tire wear, HANDS DOWN to the greasy, uneasy feeling of ANY breed of SRW truck.

My vote is always in the dually 2WDrive's favor, more stable, less empty weight and certainly much easier to maintain.
Then, of course, it HAS to be pre-electronic DODGE, so I can fix it at a reasonable price.

Mark.

ya thats true forgot that they derate the tires a bit when they are duals. I bet when you consider for tire cost when just towing it comes out pretty equal. Duallies dont wear tires out near as fast as a SRW. When I tow alot my tires dont last near as long where a DRW lasts a lot longer. Those cute little tires are alot cheaper then the bigger SRW tires.

This would be true if you were carrying the weight over the axel,, but not with a trailer

Its true PEROID! With a gooseneck or a fifth wheel, where exactly do you think the wieght is? I don't care what anyone says about a bumper pull, 4 e rated tires suporrting the load will ALWAYS handle the road better than 2 e rated tires. I have backed up more miles than you have driven forward with trailers:eek:wned:

OTR trucks carry more weight and need to have the dual wheels to carry the weight,, hence why they have tandems... totally differnt animal from what I am talking about

No. Singles on big trucks can carry 80k, just like the duals.The biggest reason companys run them is wight savings. They can get an extra 1000lbs or so on each truck with the singles. But you ask almost any driver about them and they suck on anything but dry pavement with no turns or crosswinds. Plus I think they are just plain dangerous. Oh well, I only have a class A CDL with over a millon miles under my a$$, what the h#ll do I know?:doh:

One thing to keep in mind when towing with any truck SRW or DRW, is to make sure the tires are rated to carry the load placed on the and are properly inflated to the pressure listed on the sidewall of the TIRE for the max. weight. Otherwise you risk overheating the tires and having a blowout.

leagality, weight carrying capacity, whatever, Untill you have blown a back tire out on a single rear wheel truck pulling a 25 gn with a 8k truck on it ya dont have a leg to stand on it this argument!! Been thier done that in the high speed lane running 70 mph, It was a hairy ride for a few feet, Luckily nobody got hurt and i was able to get it on the shoulder, only took the hole bedside out of my 97 F250. I Always prefer training wheels on tow rigs whenever possible.\

As far as hauling multiple trucks, sure thing no problem, Dave Diesel does it, I have seen garrat at pure diesel power do it, ad well as dan (schied built farmer truck) I pulled a 50' HEAVY Old school Wedge trailer, with the ext cab lb dodge and my ext long bed dually ford on it, and a golf cart and four wheeler on the neck to several pulls spring of 08 behind my 97 ford f superduty (5spd with 5.13 gear) It had no problem, It wasnt a speed deamon up hills but for the weight to power ratio, it pulled the hills better then the tri axle dump truck i drove sometimes. And we later pulled the motor on that truck and it was definatly only running on 7cyl (FORD Dealer replaced a head on the truck and forgot to mention the piston had ate a valve on the old head, gotta love warranty work)

Travis

No. Singles on big trucks can carry 80k, just like the duals.The biggest reason companys run them is wight savings. They can get an extra 1000lbs or so on each truck with the singles. But you ask almost any driver about them and they suck on anything but dry pavement with no turns or crosswinds. Plus I think they are just plain dangerous. Oh well, I only have a class A CDL with over a millon miles under my a$$, what the h#ll do I know?:doh:
That's the only reason to run them on a big truck. I've got a few with the X1's and they're more expensive than duals, don't last as long and get suck very easy. BUT their lighter and have less rolling resistance so they have their place but I'm not ready to put them on everything. I think saying their dangerous is a bit much. We've had a blowout with them, it's pretty tame.

I think he says they are dangerous because they hydroplane really bad which is real dangerous.

I think you guys should buy a truck built to tow that kind of load. Obviously money isn't a problem, a 1 ton dually doesn't cut it. Don't be a fool, do it right.

I dont know about you guys statistics aside. I wouldnt haul this load with a single wheel. I dont care what anyone says.
By the way thats quite the rig love the 2 tone tow rig and the stacks on the puller.
I'd haul that if my tires could handle the pin weight with room to spare. I'd also want an exhaust brake.

That's a LIGHT load, try hauling a 3-4 car extension type trailer with 4 old Dusters on it. TOTAL GCVWR was 28,000 pounds on a 1974 1 ton Dodge Cab & Chassis.
EMPTY the trailer was 4,000 pounds.

I had the fortune of dragging that behmoth load through the Rockies, in winter, on I-70 through Colorado.
More than one moment of pooper pucker on that run.:doh:

What this guy is trying to do is tinker toys by comparison.

Mark.