Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

also will the said test engine feature aftermarket valve springs? i think that a truck that has similar mods maybe minus a few, like big injectors, to what project x has would be a good test truck, because those mods include alot of the average CR owners. couple boxes, a 64/14, and a trans would also sum up much of the CR market

Last edited:
Doesn't Project X have a cam from Comp? Or is it a 1 off, not production cam?

I would LOVE to see Don's cam tossed in comps own truck and showcase improvements... Ha!

If Don and Greg agree on me conducting the test, I will need a baseline. We or I will find a truck with some mods as mentioned above, but a stock cam. Test the truck for a baseline, then swap out one of the cam, test, then swap out the other cam and test.

This will help keep as many variables consistent as possible. Same truck, same chassis dyno, same engine, same setup, same, same, same. The differences are different day, so different humidity, temp etc and any possible installer caused changes. Should be a pretty fair way to test.

Project X, already has an upgraded cam, so it is out. Other modified truck running an aftermarket cam, are out. In my opinion.

I need to talk to Don and Greg to see if they want me to conduct the test. If so, I will start looking for a magazine to cover it and then a truck to test it on.

If I don't do the tests, I still would recommend testing the cams on a truck with a stock cam. I would, also, recommend not doing a test for a winner but to discover the differences and discuss the benefits of each. This thread is proof that both cams are very good and are not to be ignored when shopping for a cam.

i've got access to a chassis dyno anytime i want. i have some mods on my truck and would be a guinea pig. i have a friend that lives close to me and is currently waiting on his h2 cam. i would install a regrind in mine and of course the h2 in his. why not throw my name in the hat.

Pack Mule said:
i've got access to a chassis dyno anytime i want. i have some mods on my truck and would be a guinea pig. i have a friend that lives close to me and is currently waiting on his h2 cam. i would install a regrind in mine and of course the h2 in his. why not throw my name in the hat.

Would have to be the same truck and engine..... Otherwise data is out the window.

These kinds of things should be done for all products. Stix included!!

Since I am in the middle of putting a new motor in my truck I would volunteer to be the test bed,I know some of my mods are more than the average guy has but I would do some testing.I am going to have to get a new cam anyway.

c-hawk said:
Common Rail is where it's at Brett :poke:

:doh: I prefer the dirty dozen takes more than pushin buttons.AKA Wade (tuning)

Last edited:
commonrail is going to be taking over. so why not roll with it. i've got a truck with average mods done to it.

Pack Mule said:
commonrail is going to be taking over. so why not roll with it. i've got a truck with average mods done to it.

I know, i just like the good ol mechanical stuff you can adjust/tinker with not spend a $ on for some stuff

right you are. there's nothing like a smokin 12v that makes enough smoke to make the sun cough. i'd sure like to see this done though.

c-hawk said:
I was refering to your dinosaur VP... LOL
That hurts. I can't wait to get my dinosaur to the track and munch on some furry little CR mammals lol.

Secret cam grinder spotted LOL Check out the bottom right corner. We only use top quality machines and equipment. So before anyone decides they want to put their truck up for a test you can feel confident the dewalt grinder and the beer belly technique will be used

Attachments

• secretcamgrinder.jpg
    secretcamgrinder.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Here are the results of the beer belly technique on the Dewalt grinder. Absolutely flawless. LOL

It is supposed to say/read "F1" Not such a great photo though. Still kinda cool.

Attachments

• bumpythingy.jpg
    bumpythingy.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 128
Soup Nazi said:
Secret cam grinder spotted LOL Check out the bottom right corner. We only use top quality machines and equipment. So before anyone decides they want to put their truck up for a test you can feel confident the dewalt grinder and the beer belly technique will be used
wow! I have heard of custom ground, but..... lol

Back