Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

And who is going to pay for the testing? What version engine and what mods? What tests are to be conducted? Are we going to use nitrous or water/meth assist? Injectors? Turbos? Etc.....

c-hawk said:
I don't see why Don or Comp should have to put up a free cam, or anything for free for that matter. It's not their obligation to do that. They didn't even start this thread. LOL
This cam thread has gone on for 22 pages and we still do not have any concrete evidence as to whose cam is a better cam. Simple. Cams can be returned to both parties noted.

Jetpilot said:
And who is going to pay for the testing? What version engine and what mods? What tests are to be conducted? Are we going to use nitrous or water/meth assist? Injectors? Turbos? Etc.....
Things like this can be arranged...... I know a shop in my area who as 3 engine dyno cells in his facilities- I know another private shop who has another engine dyno cell.

Possibly there could be some diesel magazine article interest in this too........

Jetpilot said:

EggggggggggZactly. Jeff, Whilst ye idear is a good one, it may be a bit costly to ascertian such testing info. Unless ye want to put one of yourn motors on an engine dyno. LOL

RacinDuallie said:
This cam thread has gone on for 22 pages and we still do not have any concrete evidence as to whose cam is a better cam. Simple. Cams can be returned to both parties noted.

Like Doug was saying, I think there would be way to many variables to prove anything "concrete". Would you use a stock engine or a built engine? If it's built, what parts would be in it? How many rpm's would it turn? What kind of turbo, injectors, etc? 12v, 24v or CR?

A lot of getting performance out of these trucks seems to be picking combinations of parts that work well together. There are way to many possible combinations to test them all.

That's why I, personally, try to pick parts that are designed to work well toghether. I used f1 parts on my VP truck, and it ran very well. I will use f1 parts on my CR truck too.

With that said, i'm glad there are choices, it's all fun to watch...

Last edited:
Would seem to me to make sure the test was completely fair the said cams would need to be purchased by a 3rd party to make sure the cams were off the shelf components. Not that I believe that the 2 parties would do anything extra to the cams but I have seen worse by people I knew much better. And like C-hawk said what about some parts working better in certain combos than others. Just because one performs better in one set up certainly doesn't mean it is a better part.$.02

Who is doing the testing? I might be willing to do it if no one else is/or can

The person who interprets the data should be someone with experience.

The cams should be installed in trucks that are under power. Engine dyno work is fine, but doesnt tell us everything.

Well, I'm sure I can find a magazine to cover the comparison in a very neutral environment.

This way, Competition Diesel will get acknowledge and hopefully bring more people to our group . If anyone has a problem with that, please let me know.

Soup Nazi said:
The person who interprets the data should be someone with experience.

The cams should be installed in trucks that are under power. Engine dyno work is fine, but doesnt tell us everything.
Does this mean your in?

hpprose said:
Well, I'm sure I can find a magazine to cover the comparison in a very neutral environment.

This way, Competition Diesel will get acknowledge and hopefully bring more people to our group . If anyone has a problem with that, please let me know.
Here is magazine article potential....:rockwoot:

So let's lay it out-

Engine dyno or chassis dyno? Style of engine? Mods suggested? P-pump- Vp- or CR?

I'd say chassis dyno to make it more realistic for the readers. The CR will benefit the most from a cam, optimally I'd want to see a common rail.

I'm up for it, Brett. I already have a F1 cam and I don't mind traveling out to your shop. I can bring people to help swap. The best would be two different trucks and each dyno each cam. I'd also hope to compare peak numbers as well as total HP/TQ curves.

Chassis dyno and CR engine. The CR is the most prolific truck right now and the magazine would have better part to showcase for more people.

Drag strip testing, EGT reduction, turbo spool up, should very well be included as well.

Finally..... this is getting good!:clap: :pop: :chug: :group: :group:

NEW CAM vs REGRIND !

Last edited:
Some mods on the test truck would be best I think. How about a mileage test as well??

while this is a great idea and i really look forward to seeing results,it doesnt answer one question seen quite often in this thread: cam failure.

Back