HELP

wvcumminscrew13

Cummins guy
Ok. I'm at a total loss at this point-as you see in my signature on here that's what I have done to my truck. I just got my 125hp injectors back from DDP after having them reset the bar and clean and check them, they said they're good to go.. With my edge on any level
And the back down disabled when I'm on the interstate and get on it the truck starts hoppin and just simply runnin like a$$ and the turbo just don't sound right and it sounds like its surging. At 1/2 throttle its at 40lbs of boost and 1200egt and it feels like it wants to tear itself apart. I just had a set of stock
Injectors back in it while my big injectors were at DDP and it ran great with no
Problems at all other than my throttle response succked(obviously). My fuel system
Is completely aftermarket and bigger except for the injection lines and I'm still runnin the stock turbo an cam-could those be the cause????? Any help
Or advice is beyond greatly appreciated cause I can only figure that maybe I'm
Just simply not getting enough air in with the stock turbo and cam.

All that fuel on a stock turbo? Ouch. It's not your cam. Try unplugging the edge completely like said above. Check your apps voltage. Might be out. Check all of your electrical connections as well.

I had similar prob with my old 24v and it was map sensor cleaned it and ran alot better just my .02 so hope u getter her fixed up bid

I've had the edge completely
Off wirring harness and all. Edge even sent me an new harness and
Module. Just replaced
The apps about 2 months ago along with a new MAP from cummins. All other electrical connections are good. The only sensors I have not replaced are coolant temp and cam
Position. Could these injectors from DDP be junk? Given the fact it runs great with a set of stock injectors in it with everything I've got done..?

I have talked to this guy quite a bit on his truck. The stock injectors run perfect on all levels, the Edge is all new, the MAP is new, the APPS is new. The truck has not been run for the past month due to body shop repairs.

The only time it has the "bucking" problem is when the DDP's are in the truck. Could they be causing something else to rear its ugly head or are they just not working correctly with the other unmodded parts? I am aware that overfueling is happening, but to the point of "bucking"?

The injectors are the only thing that have been changed performance wise lately, but he has plans of a cam and turbo upgrade, but this issue needs to be resolved or understood before he moves forward. I have a hard time thinking that DDP would double check the injectors and send him back a set of problems, although this has been the only item changed and the bucking came back.

I hope this post cleared up any questions and may shed some light on his problems.

Could it be maybe faulty lift pump not supplying enough fuel pressure so pressure fluctuating or the vp44 going bad

The hot rod VP44 is around 6 months old, and the Airdog is keeping 18psi IIRC.

Yes, as said above, my fuel
Pressure is good and never goes below 17psi. On average I'm at 18-19psi of fuel pressure

Send them somewhere else to be looked at.

Done. I took them to a local diesel shop near me to be tested before I sent them to DDP and they said the same thing as DDP they needed cleaned and the bar set to 290 cause they were all at around 272.

And to add to my situation here at hand, now my turbo is starting to "howl/whin" at and above 25lbs of boost and when I move it by hand to check for play it feels like its got a good bit side to side.

Last edited:
Even if the Turbo was super loose it shouldn't make a new noise unless it was touching the housing, sounds more like a boost leak to me but I doubt that would have anything to do with your other issues.

I would definitely pull the injectors and have somebody else look at them. I've never had ddp do any work for me so I'm not trying to talk them down, but its pretty easy for somebody to have made a mistake while they were in there. Take a good look at the tubes when you pull the injectors to make sure there isn't any issues there too.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Any suggestions on somewhere else to send them to? Just tried calling DDP 3x and of course when ya need to talk to em all I got was voicemail

Sounds to me like you have two problems: nearly dead turbo, and bad injectors. I would send the injectors to SDX and have them checked out. It'll only cost ya about $100 plus a week or so in time but at least you'll know for sure on the injectors.

As far as the turbo, I'd remove the compressor cover and inspect the compressor wheel for damage. See if it has scuffed the cover where it made contact.

What thickness copper washers are you using?

My buddy has a similar issue with his 02. He is running monster pump mike's 6x13s and with the thin washers it was horrible. With the stock washers its better but still noticable. Havent really dug into the issue on his yet.

Something to check before pulling the injectors again and if you have a late 01 or 02 year pickup.

If your rig is an early 01 with the vacuum operated cruise control, this won't help, but if it's the later 01 with the electronic cruise control, you can determine noise on the APPS circuit. For 01.5, use the cruise control and see if the bucking goes away. If so there is noise on the APPS circuit that can be caused by routing something close to it (aftermarket lift pump circuit, etc.) or a bad ground. The noise in the circuit can show up as a stumble stutter while cruising at a constant speed and as a miss at wide open throttle when using bigger than factory injectors. Though the problem is still there, it's not nearly as noticeable with smaller injectors. With the cruise control on (electronic cruise), the signal is also routed through the PCM on the firewall and though the PCM doesn't control the injector pump, it does have a filter on the signal ground.

Do you have any codes such as no vehicle speed sensor? Another indicator of a bad ground assuming the sensor is good at the rear differential.

Last edited:
If your rig is an early 01 with the vacuum operated cruise control, this won't help, but if it's the later 01 with the electronic cruise control, you can determine noise on the APPS circuit. For 01.5, use the cruise control and see if the bucking goes away. If so there is noise on the APPS circuit that can be caused by routing something close to it (aftermarket lift pump circuit, etc.) or a bad ground. The noise in the circuit can show up as a stumble stutter while cruising at a constant speed and as a miss at wide open throttle when using bigger than factory injectors. Though the problem is still there, it's not nearly as noticeable with smaller injectors. With the cruise control on (electronic cruise), the signal is also routed through the PCM on the firewall and though the PCM doesn't control the injector pump, it does have a filter on the signal ground.

Well if that ain't some interesting crap right there.....hmmmmm. Thanks for posting that. How many times have you seen this happen?