Injection pump cam updates

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
Just got off of the phone with one of the manufacturers we use. We have some good news and bad news. The good news is: we are proud to announce that we have found a manufacturer in the USA that will make the pump cams, the bad news is cost will be higher than originally anticipated. We are looking at 13 weeks to take delivery.

Still no word on the springs, we will let you know as soon as we get an update.

It is looking like it will be around $699 for a finished piece.

Zach

Good deal man.

Any pump builders care to share their expected cost to install a cam? Via PM if you like.

id say that cam price is slightly high in my opinion but if it makes power i'll buy em.... price wise i think you can get a regrind for $250-$350 thats a quick fill cam but i could be wrong. my question to you is what makes this cam so much better than the stuff thats already out there? just kinda curious. theres the old "up/down" cam profiles the tractors guys have used for years and then scheid has their own grind now they call a "peanut grind" that looks a little different and is supposed to have more fill time. i cant really say for sure which is really better or not. when i looked at the one you are going to sell it looks altogether different. can you explain why it looks like a flat tappet cam grind and not the typical roller stuff im used to seeing?

Good deal man.

Any pump builders care to share their expected cost to install a cam? Via PM if you like.

i'd say the lowest pump cam install you'll find will be around $500 and upwards of $1500 to some other shops.

pretty cool zach, im looking forward to your 13mm timing advance p&b.. that will be my next pump

Nice to hear you are moving forward with it Zach. I was quoted $600 for a new stock cam a few years ago after buying a re-grind with bad threads that i couldn't return. Looking forward to hearing how it performs.

Thank you for the input. My guess is that I will sell less than half of them now that they will be made in the states and at a higher price. I know a lot of people have slaughtered me for having anything made out of the USA. I should probably still have some made out of the USA, price them accordingly, and see if CompD members are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

What are your thoughts CompD? Would you rather pay $400-$500 for a cam made offshore (same material as OE, high quality, fair labor) or $550+ made in the USA(same material non-union labor) or $700+ for a union shop with same material as OE.

In the grand scheme of things I am an insignificant part of the equation. I make parts for you, how you want, when you want and how you want them to be made. If you want them pink and purple or plaid, you got it.

So what will it be?

id say that cam price is slightly high in my opinion but if it makes power i'll buy em.... price wise i think you can get a regrind for $250-$350 thats a quick fill cam but i could be wrong. my question to you is what makes this cam so much better than the stuff thats already out there? just kinda curious. theres the old "up/down" cam profiles the tractors guys have used for years and then scheid has their own grind now they call a "peanut grind" that looks a little different and is supposed to have more fill time. i cant really say for sure which is really better or not. when i looked at the one you are going to sell it looks altogether different. can you explain why it looks like a flat tappet cam grind and not the typical roller stuff im used to seeing?

Some good questions in there. Also what is the cc gain/fill time advantage

I have used regrinds without issue. Is regrinding and heat treating an option?

I would pick the non union USA made part.

what he said.

and ive seen how crappy china parts are. not all parts made overseas are junk zac. just gotta do a little research before you jump into somethin an look into getting good quality performance parts not just somethin cheap for guys to run... try brazil, germany, italy. a lot of their stuff is good quality. id stay away from china for performance parts.

Wait i can get a plaid pump cam? That sounds ludicrous LOL Zach I could care less where its made as long as its a quality product you stand behind (which you do now..)

it doesnt matter where it is made 9/10ths of the products cummins make are in china so what does it matter as long as it does its job without high failure rate
dont get me wrong i would love for everything to be made in the usa cause that means a better economy but thats not the case anymore
look forward to seeing the profile on this new pump cam

Thank you for all of the input. The pump cams are being made in a non-union USA shop. I was just going to see if you guys wanted to spend the extra cash on a union shop. Some people would..........

The fill time is the second part of the equation, the main benefit is how much it increases the rate of injection. I will have a full report in the next few weeks as we are almost settled in the shop. Depending on how the barrel is shimmed, and what mm of rack travel you are measuring, you will decrease the time of injection around 6 degrees. Also fill time is irrelivent at this time with the springs that are used at the moment. Cam profiles easily exceed the limits of the springs used. Once we come out with our new springs, then a good measurement in flow at higher rpm can be done to show the benefit of better fill time.

The benefit of a new cam vs a regrind is better surface hardness and increased case depth.If you try to re-induction harden the OE cams after grinding, there is usually warping involved.

When a new cam is made, it is roughed in, heat treated, straightened if necessary, then finish ground.

12v-cummins after traveling a good bit in the last ten years, I have come to adopt the same sentiments. We had our heads made there because nobody in the USA would touch our project. That being said, with a very few exceptions most all of our stuff is made in the USA.

Last edited: