Inline ISUZU into Ford almost complete!!

Just went through all 15 pages of your build log, and I must say, YOU ARE AMAZING!

Your skill level blows me away! The amount of diversity is astounding in and of itself!

Good job, man! Good job!

So I got it all working today, I still need to figure out the controls I am going to use but for now it works well, I need to install the driversided vent and ducting as well as decide on the actual controls so I dont just ahve a couple switches hanging out of the dash but its nice having a/c in the old bump.

I am happy about how compact everything is and how its a complete kit, the hoses were long enough to run under the motor along my aluminum crossmember and the the compressor mounted on the lower part of the motor making for a pretty clean look.

The controls are simple enough that I could make the stock 67 pull knobs work but I dont really care for them anyway and this truck is so custom its not like they need to be there to maintain the proper "look" of the truck so they are getting tossed. I am currently looking around for some cool looking controls mostly looking in 50-60's model cars and trucks. I still may just go with some 66 mustang controls in place of the ash tray since its getting welded up anyway.

The unit blows pretty cold and is pretty quiet, I cant beileve how queit the cab is now with the windows up and I still have to fill in the huge hole in the floor for the shifter and several quarter size holes in the firewall that arent being used anymore. I guess my dynamat is really doing its job well I can only imagine how well it will work once I dynamat the doors and roof not to mention add some insulation and carpet.

Here are some pics.

Yes I know the engine bay looks like crap now but I dont care, I will be painting the truck soon and when I do the engine and trans is coming out to finish boxing the frame and a full detailing of the engine and engine bay will go along with the new paint job so it all looks good as new (err... better than new hopefully)

Heres the new direction.

D-1SC
1400CFM
32 PSI max boost
925 HP max hp mmuuuaaahhhahahahaha!!!!

Still undecided what turbo I'm gonna team it up with yet but its gonna be much bigger than the he341 LOL.

I got to come home for the day from my job and played with supercharger placement but soon realized this will be so much easier thanks to the new engine thats on its way.

I couldnt do much so I decided to play with paint, I bought some olive green primer to see what it would look like and I have to say I am pretty happy with it. I like the 2 tone look with the wheels. I am thinking a nice olive green satin paint (not just primer) and either a very dark charcol grey (to go with the gunmetal grey wheels) or with the black thats on there right now. I couldnt move the truck out of the garage right now since the injectors are at sheids right now getting opened up but you can make things out, although the green is just a hair darker than it looks in the pics but not much.

I would like to hear your opinions on it.

I had talked to empire about a few parts including the charger but a buddy of mine decided to upgrade his charger to an f1 about the same time so I just bought his used since it was still practicly new. I need to call empire and see if they will sell me a pulley for the crank.

Thanks Levi I think that's the paint scheme I'm going with, I'm pretty sure I'm going satin clear but I could see this paint in a gloss clear also, who knows.

Levi I'm gonna have to hit you up for another blanket in the next couple of months for a new header and turbine housing.

I had talked to empire about a few parts including the charger but a buddy of mine decided to upgrade his charger to an f1 about the same time so I just bought his used since it was still practicly new. I need to call empire and see if they will sell me a pulley for the crank.

Thanks Levi I think that's the paint scheme I'm going with, I'm pretty sure I'm going satin clear but I could see this paint in a gloss clear also, who knows.

Levi I'm gonna have to hit you up for another blanket in the next couple of months for a new header and turbine housing.

I think the satin would be cool. Then again either one will look good, the color combo with the wheels is what makes it for me. Give me a shout when you get closer to needing the blankets and I'll get you all set up. :Cheer:

Sorry I guess I should have specified. Oi bought a spare engine for several reasons mainly to moch up lots of parts like intake manifold, header, valve cover, serpentine belt conversion, supercharger bracket, transmission adapter, etc and to eventually build up with better rods, ported head etc. This way I will be able to make the part on the spare motor and just bolt it to the motor in the truck with no more downtime for the truck. When I was building the twins the truck was down for a long time while building the header and piping now I can build and drive then set aside a day or two to just bolt on parts when they're ready.

The other thing is there are no aftermarket parts for this motor like rods or pistons so I would like to look around and see if I can find some that will work (think stroker motor).

Eventually I will stop messing around with this measly 4-500 hp stuff and step up to the big power from the little Isuzu. I need to learn how to go about getting sponsors lol.

Just read this thread and you did an amazing job on this build! I wish I had half the skills you do!

I checked out sum of those video clips on you tube and that seems to be an awesome lil set-up!

Thanks everyone!

Time for an update. I have been gone since november 8th working out of town but I made it back finally and started working on the adapter plate to mate the 5R110 5spd auto to my isuzu diesel. I am taking a different aproach than the IDS kit. The IDS (isuzu diesel swapper) kit uses your stock manual flywheel drilled to accept a large spacer to mount a chevy flywheel and an adapter ring that bolts to the stock isuzu flywheel housing. I am currently using the IDS kit on my truck and it is a fine kit but there are a few problems with it. First it only comes to fit the chevy bolt patter. Second it uses 2 flywheels while this is fine for 99% of people and has worked well for me so far but when I am turning 5000rpm going down the drag strip I really dont want to have 2 flywheels turning that rpm by my feet. Third the distance from the block to trans mount is very far with this setup, I forget what it is right now but I think its around 6 or 7 inches.

With my setup I am using my own custom flyweel bolted to the isuzu crank and an aluminum spacer and adapter plate that bolts directly to the isuzu engine block, distance from the block to the trans 2inches. This will make me feel more comfy going down the track and turning big rpm not to mention I can now set the motor about 4 inches further back in the truck for better handling and weight distribution. The other bonus to this setup is a small weight savings, I still need to weigh things so I dont want to say anything official yet but I think this will save around 30 pounds or so (I may be wrong since that is a guess at this point but cast iron weighs alot more than aluminum).

I still have a good bit of work left but here are a few photos to show the progess.

Stock isuzu flywheel on the left and on the right my custom flywheel made to my own specs.

Here is my head fabricator hard at work, shes drilling the holes so she can start tapping the 7/16" threads to bolt the tranny to the adapter.

Here is the actual adapter itself, this is made from 1" 6061 aluminum plate.

Here is the adapter bolted to the spare 5R110 trans case I have for mock up (found it at the local scrap yard for $10). Its hard to see but there is an almost perfect 3/16" gap all the way around the bellhousing and amazingly I got it all very straight considering I cut it out with an 18 tooth carbide blade on a skill saw then cleaned it up with a 4.5" 36 grit flapper wheel.

those metal chips feel good coming off that blade don't they?
it's amazing you are taking a truly unique project and making it even more so.
i am jealous od the quality of your work..
good luck and keep it up!
look forward to seeing more out of that little 3.9