JSP's Triples via GTX4508's/Tial stainless housings.

Let's assume for a moment that the turbo's are doing all they can, so you have a fixed mass air flow. Now you go through an intercooler and the density of the air goes up. Something has to drop and that drop shows as a pressure drop, no way around it. Now one would assume that is wrong but until you factor in the temperature drop you will never know.

If you assume that the turbos still have more to give then as the density goes up the assumption is that the turbo's will now just push more in, so the mass now rises on the inlet but that means you still need to know the mass air flow at the exit. This is why its much better to work in mass flow than psi, as psi can have you chasing your ass at times.

I just want to let you know to check it before making a large investment and not seeing the results your looking for, god knows I've done it enough times!

I can appreciate that. And see your point, but in that case it should be a pressure drop on both the compressor outlet side AND the manifold side, and with a well sized cooler, same mass flow at less temperature and therefore pressure. AND you can do this with very little pressure drop across a well sized CAC.

I'll throw up some more data on temps and pressures for folks to poke through when I can get a min.

The key to remember is there's always going to be some pressure drop do to restrictions in the IC. That drop has nothing to do with air temperature. Air to air IC's have are more restrictive than comparable Air to water IC's. As stated above this air volume is way above the design parameters of this IC.

I hate reading this stuff when I'm tired.

I don't see the density change causing the pressure drop. I could in a system with finite flow as described.

Watching though.

Monkey Fist Rage

Or unbolt the thing and submerge it in a tank of ice water, then add a couple pieces of pipe to connect it infront of the truck.

It wouldn't cure the pressure loss across it though. I could yank a massive Air to Air off of a large tractor here, 4" inlet and outlet but don't feel comfortable feeding it over 100lbs of boost where it only ever see's 26 lbs. If the tractor was still on warranty I might do it....:hehe:

Really on the short 4-5 second burst on the dyno its actually pretty good, its the 20-30 second load up that really shows its over loaded.

Here's some more data on the last pull:

Pressure's
PressurevsRPM_zps2a343a4a.jpg

Temp's GTX4508r's ***NOTE manifold exhaust temp sensor died.
Tempvsrpmgtx4508rtriples_zps905bc14a.png

Temp's Old 64mm/s480
64s480compounds_zpsd142127f.jpg

Last edited:
Last pull and a backup run on the old injectors. Still need to resolve the pressure drop across the IC as well. More than likely will get Bell to build one on the down time through seeding which is drawing near.

62 pulls on it....wonder if the rings are seated.....LOL Did actually get some video today but have to get my wife to process it as it's above my pay grade.

GTX4508Rtriplesonoldinjectorsvsoldcompounds_zpsa459fcf9.png

Last edited:
Yeah, the tune is peaked out on fuel. The rewards for timing are getting really small and I don't ever take it to where I start loosing power on timing. If I can get some more rate out of the new injectors should progress some more.

Had some issues to work through as well. Had a gasket popping on the header, one flange needs to be cut and welded straight. Doubling the gasket on that cylinder fixed it for now.
Transmission when warm is dropping pressure on lockup so need to track that leak down, holds 325 psi line pressure when cold so just hitting it on the dyno cold.

Last edited:
Hey thanks. Sure was time or two throughout the winter where it seemed like an impossible amount of work and I'll never admit to the actual time into it but it sure did come together in the end.

New injectors are in and got a bit more tuning in today, we're starting to get ready for seeding and the play time is wrapping up.

Here's the money shot for today....the old injectors 1605 vs the new 1650 and carrying it out further yet.

GTX4508Rtriplesnewinjectors_zps6e62a301.jpg

Still got that nasty pressure drop across the IC, likely fool with that some next.

Last edited:
That power curve is ridiculous. Nice and smooth, great tuning and great work man!

I bet that's goin to be a blast to drive on some back roads haha

Really amazing what you've been doing. Outstanding fabrication and the results speak for themselves.

RonA

Thanks Ron, sometimes the thought crosses my mind that surely there's other things I could do to make better use of my time but it sure does put a smile on the face when you let it spank the dyno. Other than the crank shaft everything under the hood is a one off. Hood closed you'd never know what's under there....almost as sleeper as your truck was!

What head is on that thing?

Its a 5.9 head that I ported. Not to death but pretty good.

Made the modification to the IC inlet/outlet to 3.5" and it was good for 40hp peak and a good hit throughout the power band.

Fuel only.

GTX4508Rtriples16901afterICmod_zps84669513.jpg

My left one for 9.9hp.....:hehe: There is still to much drop across the IC....Better flowing one and its there for sure.