july 24 TS updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
still doesn't dismiss the fact that mike missed most of the driver's meeting........ that's something a driver should probably be at.

And NONE of the True sportsmen took him under their wing and brought him up to speed after the meeting did they?

I can see a minimum time backfiring on someone if they have a fast truck but bad luck in qualifying. My $.02 is to require a full cage, firesuit, and 5 point belts. If you have these, you are probably a professional racer and should be in prostreet.

This is a good point.
I believe we should allow anyone to race Pro Street so we can have larger fields but they should have all the safety equipment.
If the slower guy happens to do this again the closing rate of a 9 second truck rear ending a 11 second truck could get ugly.

How about we shift this from a pissing contest to a possible solution.

I'll start:
1. Must have all safety equipment to run 11.49 or quicker.
2. Next??

And NONE of the True sportsmen took him under their wing and brought him up to speed after the meeting did they?

I was at the drivers meeting...that's where you meet the uhhh....drivers ?
Yea that's it...drivers.
How in the hell do you expect anyone to know who you are if you're not there ?
It's not like everyone walks around with a big sign on their back telling everyone who they are.

This is a good point.
I believe we should allow anyone to race Pro Street so we can have larger fields but they should have all the safety equipment.
If the slower guy happens to do this again the closing rate of a 9 second truck rear ending a 11 second truck could get ugly.

How about we shift this from a pissing contest to a possible solution.

I'll start:
1. Must have all safety equipment to run 11.49 or quicker.
2. Next??

Is that a threat that the 9 second guy is going to get mad and chase down the 11 second guy and rear end him?

Tobin

On another note. Glad to know Meacham is out and running again. Thats my favorite truck to watch, well besides the stuckey truck. Can't wait to see em' run this year!

you shouldnt have been in that class in the first place. If thats the case then every truck should run prostreet and make it like watching paint dry.

While I don't blame the driver since there is NOTHING in place to make him ineligible for the class, I do agree that rules need to change to make sure it's an actual prostreet class. Like 10.99 or better in qualifying or have all safety equipment to run 11.49 or better like Michael said.

Here's what will happen...some asshole with a mid 11 second truck will enter pro street, quick stage every round and time out the others with slow spoiling trucks for the win.
That is so far away from the spirit of the class it's not even funny...but it WILL happen sooner or later.
I wouldn't wanna be that guy afterwards...

Not saying I would've done it, but if this continued to happen I would like to think it would make the sport evolve. People would have to make their set-ups lite in a reasonable time. If we keep the rules (even the unwritten ones) like they are or change them so no one has to ever change their set-up, the sport won't evolve. And we certainly wouldn't be able to run in other race organizations like NHRA and such. I highly doubt anyone's gonna sit there and wait for you to lite and even if you asked them too, I'm sure they'd tell you to pound sand.

I wonder if now is a good time to bring up the fact that Bowling Green wasn't covered in smoke and stupid kids tearing up the streets all weekend...and the only people in town were the racers. No pullers in town...no problems in town. Just an observation a few people had. :poke: :D

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. And there were a lot of people at the track, the spectator parking looked pretty full to me.

He had both bulbs on before Meacham came and broke the first bulb which is called double bulbing. But in his defense Meacham could have never moved in a then they would have backed him out. But what he was still rude and I agree he should have run 12.00

Unfortunately I was unable to make TS so I am not going to comment on exactly what happened but I will share some of my overall thoughts and experience.

Last week I was "quick staged "on in a Pro Street Final by an inexperienced racer. I knew autostart was on so I bumped in even though I wasn't spooled as opposed to being timed out. I knew I was faster than my competitor so I would rather take my chances on the tree and then pulling on him on the track. Cut a 1.999 60' because of it but still got the win because I killed him on the tree and then out ran him once lit.

As has been talked about in this thread, it is ALWAYS a good idea to talk with your competitor about staging before each round and not assume what the other person will or won't do.

This brings me to the most important point I wanted to make. Everytime something like this happens it reminds me of what most amatuer golfers do. They go out to the practice range and spend 95% of thier time pounding drivers then go out and play and wonder why they can't score when 95% of your scoring happens AFTER the drive!! The same thing happens in drag racing. People go to Test & Tunes and only focus on putting down a time so they can post it on the internet instead of also practicing stageing and cutting a light. Almost all races are won or lost before the vehicle goes 5 ft. yet people rarely practice that phase of it. Organized racing is MUCH different than a test & tune and if you don't practice all facets of racing these kind of things will happen and that goes for both experienced and inexperienced racers.

I may have a misunderstanding of the rules here. When Mike lit both bulbs, couldn't Meachem have just stayed out of the first light and spooled up and then rolled in? I was under the impression that the timer doesn't start until both first lights and one second light is lit.

Is that a threat that the 9 second guy is going to get mad and chase down the 11 second guy and rear end him?

Tobin

i think if you've seen a 9 second pro street 4x4 truck run, you know they don't always go exactly straight down the track. I could forsee the 11 second truck being a little bit ahead and the 9 second truck fighting to stay straight and all over the track and they coming up on the slower truck and then.... well you could see what might could happen.

This thread is getting blown way out of proportion about what happened and is turning into a big Cluster.

i think if you've seen a 9 second pro street 4x4 truck run, you know they don't always go exactly straight down the track. I could forsee the 11 second truck being a little bit ahead and the 9 second truck fighting to stay straight and all over the track and they coming up on the slower truck and then.... well you could see what might could happen.

If it is a bracket race, then the 11 second truck and 9 second truck "should" meet at the traps, at which point both trucks should let off the throttle. If it is a heads up race, the 9 second truck should be ahead of the 11 second truck or more worried about what the 11 second truck is going to do.

Both trucks should have all necessary safety equipment and I agree, a 11second truck and 9 second truck really shouldn't be on the track at the same time. The 9 second truck should (as long as we are following NHRA rules) have more safety equipment that the 11 second truck doesn't have. This puts the 11 second truck driver at risk of a 9 second truck hitting him.

Tobin

I got the meeting a little late but all I heard was that the were discussing to run the 1/8th or 1/4

Mike, not to disagree with you, but you got there for the whole thing. That is where I met you, right before it started. I'm staying out of this one, I have an opinion, but its just that. Great looking and running truck, and it was good to meet you.

If it is a bracket race, then the 11 second truck and 9 second truck "should" meet at the traps, at which point both trucks should let off the throttle. If it is a heads up race, the 9 second truck should be ahead of the 11 second truck or more worried about what the 11 second truck is going to do.

Both trucks should have all necessary safety equipment and I agree, a 11second truck and 9 second truck really shouldn't be on the track at the same time. The 9 second truck should (as long as we are following NHRA rules) have more safety equipment that the 11 second truck doesn't have. This puts the 11 second truck driver at risk of a 9 second truck hitting him.

Tobin

Yet you see trucks racing bikes on the track (and losing! hahahahaha).

yacht2.jpg

Mike, not to disagree with you, but you got there for the whole thing. That is where I met you, right before it started. I'm staying out of this one, I have an opinion, but its just that. Great looking and running truck, and it was good to meet you.

Thanks man, so i guess i did not miss any of the drivers meeting then, and unbroken im pretty sure if you are who i think you are, you were standing right next to tim when i introduced myself, once i again im not sure but i think it was, so lets just end this whole thing,

Some people had a bad day, tempers were flared, lets move on and make sure this doesnt happen again, i had a great time and met some great people, and i am fully agreed with everyone where there should be a class in between pro street and 12.0

Sounds like the race starts when we are called to the line. Congrats on a solid truck that held up to a very stressful climate! Quick spool and a quick truck won the race.

How many people "voted" against running 1/8th mile in pro street?

The vote was for a possible change next year. I don't know if it needs to be discussed by non pro street teams but I will say the vote was unanimous. Which way it went is irrelevant here.

I have read this whole thread with alot of interest. I have been racing for 30 years now, mostly in the gas world, but been pretty serious in the diesel world for the past few years now. I have climbed through the ranks, with my old engine I was consistantly in the 10's, now with this new engine I am fully expecting some 9's (once I get the little gremlins out)

Anyways, I am not sure why everyone waits to start to spool till they get to the line, I start spooling once the starter waves us forward. I am usually somewheres around 5 or 6 lbs well before the line. I am over 10 by the time I prestage, and at my 20 by the time of stage. I am ready to race. No delay in anything. Even as a dieselhead, I get frustrated watching guys pull up to the line and then start to spool,,,,, it just slows down the whole event IMHO. I have been practicing this ever since I started running bigger chargers.

Oh, and I really find that the fans really find it cool when they hear my chargers lighting up as I am pulling forward, I have had many a fan come up after a race and say it sounded like a jet engine getting ready.

The vote was for a possible change next year. I don't know if it needs to be discussed by non pro street teams but I will say the vote was unanimous. Which way it went is irrelevant here.

Of course it is LOL :bow: Ok I guess back to bashing the "Ford" guy since he committed the worst sin ever in drag racing. Heres what I think should happen. Throw every damn rule book in the trash. Then nobody can piss and moan. Can't even follow the rules without someone whining. Then take the "voting" and trash that cause it comes down to what the promoter wants. And thats all there is to it. Then post your placings and your prize money for each position. If you get that place, you get that money. Not "Well you didn't break the beams so you don't get paid".
Whats his nuts (BIGRPOWR I think) was bickering over in the NADM forum last week about the low times at their event. What happened at TS? I thought this is where all the world records were gonna be broken??? 10.?? sec win in the finals!! Not to mention a walk in the park to the finals from what I understand.:pop:

Status
Not open for further replies.