Manual VB W/Ratchet Shifter vs Auto VB

I got some ideas that will include a cupholder and use the factory 4x4 lever part of the console. It will have carpet as well

I'm planning on going with the Lokar shifter at first. It's not ratcheting so caution will be required.. it will look factory tho.

I've always run my drag cars without auto shifters, and have managed to be pretty consistent. Never used a shift light either, just placed the tach where I could see it. One of the cars used to be a daily driver, it has a B&M Megashifter which has worked well over the years. It can work in a basic non-ratchet mode, then bump back to full ratchet mode when I'm racing.

I've always run my drag cars without auto shifters, and have managed to be pretty consistent. Never used a shift light either, just placed the tach where I could see it. One of the cars used to be a daily driver, it has a B&M Megashifter which has worked well over the years. It can work in a basic non-ratchet mode, then bump back to full ratchet mode when I'm racing.

I was looking at that megashifter. So you can switch it from ratchet style to regular when your not at the track?? is it slower or is there any downside to the track with it vs the ratchet only style. I really don't want to give up any time in the 1/4 just to ease my DD. Only concerned with the track times.

After next year I'm gonna buy a new one and tow this one around with it. Then is on. Ryan your going down at that point. :rockwoot::evil

Yeah, its in a dedicated race truck. I have o/d on the optional red button sideplate and I like that a lot.

Another option

Attachments

• Shifter1.jpg
    Shifter1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, its in a dedicated race truck. I have o/d on the optional red button sideplate and I like that a lot.

Thanks for the info. I only have knowledge of the 68rfe- (That's what's in mine right now). So what mph can you reach in 3rd?

I'm still in a foreign country and havent even been billed for it yet... BUT, hoping for the 3rd weekend in August if all goes as planned. Blackmega got his installed today, check the another turbo swap thread on cf... i told him videos or death.

I'm still in a foreign country and havent even been billed for it yet... BUT, hoping for the 3rd weekend in August if all goes as planned. Blackmega got his installed today, check the another turbo swap thread on cf... i told him videos or death.

What fuel mods are u going to start with. It wld be really nice to see how laggy it wld be on a stock fuel system.

then put one on your truck :poke:

I'm running 45% nozzles on stock bodies and a mild'ish upgraded pump from wicked diesels

now get back on topic! :rules:

When you all are running these manual valve bodies and shifting yourself is there still a delay between shift like when you go 1st 2nd drive?

When you all are running these manual valve bodies and shifting yourself is there still a delay between shift like when you go 1st 2nd drive?

Thats the whole reason i'm going this route. No matter how built an auto is there are still actuaters, relays, etc. Those all create a delay. Not much, but when ur talking comp drag racing, the winner and the looser can be seperated by 1000'th of a sec. So sometimes it doesn't take much.

I was looking at that megashifter. So you can switch it from ratchet style to regular when your not at the track?? is it slower or is there any downside to the track with it vs the ratchet only style. I really don't want to give up any time in the 1/4 just to ease my DD. Only concerned with the track times.

After next year I'm gonna buy a new one and tow this one around with it. Then is on. Ryan your going down at that point. :rockwoot::evil

Crap, I haven't driven that car in over 2 years, but IIRC you pull up on the small T handle to go from park into the "main" section (much like a standard OEM shifter), where you can drop back to 1st and push 1 gear forward at a time. I think you can move the lever wherever you want it if you have the T pulled up, but if you don't then it will only move one notch at a time. If you pull back to 1st, then pull the T up again you can pull the handle all the way back for ratchet mode. At that point the lever just moves in a very short throw forwards and backwards, moving one gear for each forward stroke.