Manual VB W/Ratchet Shifter vs Auto VB

DaveMatthews

Just thought I would ask you guys about this. I'm building a 47re for my Dodge 6.7l. Really wanting to put a manual VB in it with a rachet shifter (Or something along those lines) in it. ALot of the guys on CF and some on here, are claiming that's a mistake. But that's all we used in gas drag cars. I'm planning on starting out in the brackets, then going to superstreet, then who knows. I'm not worried about consistency (Diesels natuarally arn't really consistent anyway), more along the lines of speed and durability. I'm really not a big fan of electronic's. If I can controll it then I'm all for it. But I would like some imput on it anyway.

Thanks in advance.

I love mine and it drives fine in Houston stop and go traffic. The drivability is all in the shifter you pick imo. I have the cheetah scs and couldn't be happier. people who tell you it will be a mistake have never driven one with a quality shifter. The guys who buy the cheap low dollar units are the ones who have problems shifting. (can you tell what im trying to get at LOL)

Dave just try it out, I'll consistantly drive around you with my PCS controller ;)

I wouldnt think a ratchet shifter would be the best idea for daily driving. A gate shifter would be a better choice.

I had a quarter stick in my car as a teen. I didnt care for that shifter. I like my b&m pro ratchet. My daily driver came to life with it. I really dont understand why anyone would call it a mistake.

There are good ratchet and gate options out there if setup properly. The gate shifters have farther travel given they don't return to the same spot like a ratchet shifter, so keep that in mind when selecting your mounting position. Throw is exactly why I stuck with the b&m pro ratchet. My 47re is a normal auto vb from Goerend and I can either: 1) shift it manually from 1, 2, 3 and use the OD button for OD; or 2) put it in 3 and drive it like it was stock.

Dave just try it out, I'll consistantly drive around you with my PCS controller ;)

PCS. smeCS. We'll see. I'm gonna try one. One less computer i have to figure out. Give me a shift light and i'm good to go. Lol.

Now. Next question is which one is best for the strip. Or shld i be looking at something diff like a lightening box or something along those lines.

Wow. Thought those things were more expensive than that. 200 bucks for a pro-ratchet.

I'm switching from a PCS to a manual this week to test some gremlins we are have with the duraflite. I'll let you know. I'm looking forward to it as I'm getting a bit bored and would like something to do in the cab except hold on.

Last edited:
I'm switching from a PCS to a manual this week to test some gremlins we are have with the duraflite. I'll let you know. I'm looking forward to it as I'm getting a bit bored and would like something to do in the cab except hold on.

Thats what i'm talking about. Electronics seem to have those in them. I'm gonna put one on my 2008. Its got the fancy console and buckets. So i'll have to get creative with it. Tranny's gonna be here this week. Then i gotta start buying billet parts for it. Hopefully by xmas i'll have it installed. Lol

I loved my b&m ratchet shifter for 200 bucks. Manual is very fun around town, especially when i can mash it in 1st and hit 2nd and burn the tires without lockup! then pop it into 3rd and coast.

I loved my b&m ratchet shifter for 200 bucks. Manual is very fun around town, especially when i can mash it in 1st and hit 2nd and burn the tires without lockup! then pop it into 3rd and coast.

Is there a beter shifter than that one, what about that cheetah somebody mentioned. Just want to make sure i get the best for the drag strip. Don't really care about road manners. Thats a plus, but not primary factor for my build.

The cheetah shifter is amazing shifts very smooth and fast. It's a high quality gated shifter here see a few pics of it in my truck I will be building a center console if I ever get some time off work.
257678f6.jpg

54ea5fa4.jpg

With cup holders. With a cover for the 4x4 lever? Carpet cleanly installed after an manual swap?

I got some ideas that will include a cupholder and use the factory 4x4 lever part of the console. It will have carpet as well