Manual VB W/Ratchet Shifter vs Auto VB

Crap, I haven't driven that car in over 2 years, but IIRC you pull up on the small T handle to go from park into the "main" section (much like a standard OEM shifter), where you can drop back to 1st and push 1 gear forward at a time. I think you can move the lever wherever you want it if you have the T pulled up, but if you don't then it will only move one notch at a time. If you pull back to 1st, then pull the T up again you can pull the handle all the way back for ratchet mode. At that point the lever just moves in a very short throw forwards and backwards, moving one gear for each forward stroke.

Thanks. I've got some time. as it will probably take me 3 or 4 months to come up with the cash for all my billet tranny parts...That should give me time to figure out exactly which one is better for my application.

then put one on your truck :poke:

I'm running 45% nozzles on stock bodies and a mild'ish upgraded pump from wicked diesels

now get back on topic! :rules:

I am going to. Maybe. Might just go bigger. So THERE!!!!. Gotta keep up with the jones's right?? :kick:

Besides.

"Its my thread and I'll cry if I want tooo" :lolly:

I was just trying to keep ya in the thread. Since your completely against a manual vb... :poke:

I like my manual vb with the ratchet shifter, its fun to drive around with and mine shifts nice and hard :)

Mine shifts good and is a blast. Finally got some miles on it and full manual is freakin sweet. Especially when it all works!!!

So it seems the b&m is the top choice? As in more of u guys are running that one. Have any of u guys messed around with building ur own tranny?

I had to rebuild one a few years back out of a 94 ford. Had the 7.3 in it. Wasn't too bad and its still running 6 years later. So i couldn't have screwed it up too bad.

Problem is i really don't have any shops local that are worth a crap, and its gonna get expensive shipping it off everytime i break it at the track.

Last edited:
So it seems the b&m is the top choice? As in more of u guys are running that one. Have any of u guys messed around with building ur own tranny?

I had to rebuild one a few years back out of a 94 ford. Had the 7.3 in it. Wasn't too bad and its still running 6 years later. So i couldn't have screwed it up too bad.

Problem is i really don't have any shops local that are worth a crap, and its gonna get expensive shipping it off everytime i break it at the track.

I did.... and it was not pretty :doh:

I did.... and it was not pretty :doh:

Oops. That doesn't sound good.

Boy i can't wait to be able to lock up in 2nd and stay there. Bet that alone shaves close to a second off my times. My 68 won't lock up till 4th and doesn't stay locked up during shifting. Massive delay too.

if your just going to install a transgo manual shift kit you wont get lockup in 2nd gear. i dont have lockup in 2nd gear... kinda sucks

if your just going to install a transgo manual shift kit you wont get lockup in 2nd gear. i dont have lockup in 2nd gear... kinda sucks

I bought a SC lockup controller. Haven't bought anything else for the tranny yet. Controller lists for 450 on their website and found one on here for 155. So couldn't pass it up. Who's VB do i need to get to make it work right? IE lockup whenever i want and wrk with the ratchet shifter for drag racing.

Also along those lines. What parts and from who do i need to buy for the 47re. I want it to be as tough as possible. Plan on racing every weekend during the season. Right now i'm probably in the 450-475 hp range. Shooting for the 800+ range by the end of next season. Gonna start in a lower class then keep bumping it up as i get the mods. Don't want to start off with bad parts or wrong ones for my tranny.

I'll have lockup when the Trans hits 2nd gear.....

Sorry guys. I really have no clue what i need to get in there. I'm not at the point where i'm ready right now, but soon. Wanted to get some end user input from u guys first. Then start calling the parts guys. Get both sides and maybe i can pick the right stuff. LOL

like button.. click click click click click

Might I suggest Dave G. I hear he builds some good stuff.

Tho, I personally have nothing to compare to seeing as this will be my first auto in a diesel. I hear only good things from Dave G stuff!

or, have a builder do it right from the start.

Yes yes. I think I've heard that before. Its just not for me. I am going to build my own. Just the way i want to handle it. I like knowing certain parts in and out. I've also already rebuilt one diesel auto. A 94 ford with the 7.3 in it. Last time i ran into the guy i sold it too he was still hauling round bails with it. That was 6 years ago. Plus its just easier that way for me. No shipping to colorado, floriday, or where ever. I have plenty of time to study whatever i need. Take it apart stock and put it back together as many times as i have to. Then start adding billet this and that. Just me, but thats what i'm gonna do.

Ok. I know you guys don't aggree with me doing it myself. But does anybody have a preference for parts on them. Even getting it built by someone else, surely you know what they are putting in them.

I'm hoping to start getting the parts list nailed down pretty quick. Want to start buying pieces by the end of the month and have all of em by xmas. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.