Manual VB W/Ratchet Shifter vs Auto VB

Well Ive got a couple thousand miles on my auto swap with Manual VB, Hurst quarterstick.......love it so far

OK all you guys with manual vb's, how hard do they shift for a DD? I recently swapped my 47re for a nv5600 into my truck thinking it was gonna be the best thing ever, but it turns out it needs rebuilt and a dual disc to hold power so I'm thinking about putting an auto back in. Plus I wanna go fast. Now I love having full control over shifting and don't really feel like screwing around with dialing in shift points, kickdown, and all that stuff. Can you tow with a manual vb? Hows the part throttle shifts? Thanks for the input.

OK all you guys with manual vb's, how hard do they shift for a DD? I recently swapped my 47re for a nv5600 into my truck thinking it was gonna be the best thing ever, but it turns out it needs rebuilt and a dual disc to hold power so I'm thinking about putting an auto back in. Plus I wanna go fast. Now I love having full control over shifting and don't really feel like screwing around with dialing in shift points, kickdown, and all that stuff. Can you tow with a manual vb? Hows the part throttle shifts? Thanks for the input.

Yes you can tow with a manual VB, part throttle shifts can be tuned with TV cable, mine shifts pretty firm with the TV cable. With it wired full open it was a sharp shift if i held the rpm out a bit, other than that for regular driving its a blast!

If i were to do it over again i would have spent money towards a built VB that locked in first, at the time i didnt know the transgo shift kit would only lock in 3rd.

Good luck

We have been at Goerends all week working on some different things, including a few small changes to the manual vb. Havent got it back in the truck yet, but the constant pressure(200 psi) manual vb was shifting very smooth on the dyno. The tv adjustment will help tune the shifts also.

Just got through our first race with the new manual vb. So far so good. There is definately some time involved in learning when to shift, but beats the heck out of tuning a PCS with a laptop and hoping it doesnt crash between rounds. Air shifter coming next.

Harvey (Diesel Charger) has a Shiftnoid on his, and it works very well, but he found he has to lock the converter in First to get it to work. Something about the shifter getting pissed if it doesn't see a big rpm drop.

Please, share with us the shift light setup.

Easiest way I know of is a flywheel tooth counter. Dakota Digital has em. Sends out a V8 tach signal, so you can run all sorts of stuff off it.

I have a SunCoast Manual VB with a transbrake on mine, and it is set at full line pressure all the time. I still drive the truck all around, although it does get old in Los Angeles traffic. I also either have to lift or power through shifts to make them smooth. Part throttle shifts can be pretty gnarly. Still less work than a manual transmission in my opinion.

JQ, does it bark the tires sometimes on the part throttle shifts? My Junker Drag Truck with automatic setup to shift around 3100 rpm barks the tires every time on the 1-2 shift, and about 30% of the time on the 2-3 shift at part throttle. It's actually much smoother at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle because it spins on the upshift.

I have a question,, I have been really thinking about changing mine to a manual VB, right now I am running a very built 48re, that has a auto vb in it and a SC tc. I am running a ATS lockup controller.. if I went to a manual VB would the co-pilot not be needed anymore? I would imagine that I could just run a button on my shift for this,,

Also, I read the article on the shift light,, when I bought the engine I have now it has one of those pickups that read the teeth on the Balancer... is there anythine I need to know to be able to program a shift light to this? Also, can I use the same controller to go to my data logger? Or will this cause signal loss?

Not sure if its on the market yet but Isspro has a new tach coming out with a shift light that you can program. I have one in my truck. Love it

I have a question,, I have been really thinking about changing mine to a manual VB, right now I am running a very built 48re, that has a auto vb in it and a SC tc. I am running a ATS lockup controller.. if I went to a manual VB would the co-pilot not be needed anymore? I would imagine that I could just run a button on my shift for this,,

Also, I read the article on the shift light,, when I bought the engine I have now it has one of those pickups that read the teeth on the Balancer... is there anythine I need to know to be able to program a shift light to this? Also, can I use the same controller to go to my data logger? Or will this cause signal loss?

When i put in my manual VB I had to get rid of the co pilot. I installed a toggle switch. I turn it on while pulling up to the line, as soon as I hit 2nd it locks, works real good.

Last edited:
Vid starts at like 1:35
[ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=264233236928840&saved"]Incompatible Browser | Facebook[/ame]

Last edited:
Devon, how did you wire that in? And how does it know to lock when it hits second?

Thanks

Kevin

Goerend builds his vb's like that. You just flip the lockup switch on before staging, and it automatically locks when the 2nd gear shift happens. I assume this is what he has if it came from Ponci's.

How much modification has to be done to a ratchet shifter to make it work on a 47rh?

I had a B&M megashifter it was ok. Never seemed to get it set perfect to where it was 100% in each gear when the gate was locked.

How much modification has to be done to a ratchet shifter to make it work on a 47rh?

I had a B&M megashifter it was ok. Never seemed to get it set perfect to where it was 100% in each gear when the gate was locked.

none? as far as i know all the mounting hardware will fit an RH.

I'm a big fan of the cheetah scs gated shifter. when I go manual vb on my Dakota I'm going to run one of those shifters.

Devon, how did you wire that in? And how does it know to lock when it hits second?

Thanks

Kevin

Yeah I did get a goerend valve body from ponci's, thats the only thing I changed on the NAPC tranny.

As for the wiring I have three wires on the main plug 12v power, then u just run a wire to ground for the converter lock and a wire to ground for overdrive, with a toggle switch. I will have to check the pins in the plug again to be sure but I think 6 is overdrive and 7 is converter.

Back