Manual VB W/Ratchet Shifter vs Auto VB

I am not convinced the manual shifter is the way to go. We took it out of Max'd Out and went back to the automatic. I don't think you could get a manual to shift much better then this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKWy7GAkSJ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKWy7GAkSJ4[/ame]

Were using the b&m Pro Ratchet. Had the TCI Outlaw before that. I dont like the gate shifters like the TCI. When Shawn started driving, he wanted a ratchet, so we got the B&M. It works much better.

Ken, it really isnt to be better for shifting for me,, its more a thought that I might be able to make things live better,, plus I have never been able to get the 1 - 2 shift exactly where I want it without going to a PCS, and if I am going to do that I might as well go to a Manual vb im my mind

PCs was really a waste of time to me i wouldn't recomend it to anyone if you can have full control of you trans and shift when you want that's the only way to go!! Full pressure at all times mean. you don't have to worry about ramp up rates id smoke my trans on the line spooling up!! Just my opinion once again! I dd with a full manuel valvebody in my 05 dodge and love it! For full out race truck mv-body all day!!! And if anyone interested I have a PCs controller with valve body $1000

PCs was really a waste of time to me i wouldn't recomend it to anyone if you can have full control of you trans and shift when you want that's the only way to go!! Full pressure at all times mean. you don't have to worry about ramp up rates id smoke my trans on the line spooling up!! Just my opinion once again! I dd with a full manuel valvebody in my 05 dodge and love it! For full out race truck mv-body all day!!! And if anyone interested I have a PCs controller with valve body $1000

Drake, which shifter are you running?

Thats my problem too... I havent even been able to launch at over 17 psi. Every time I have tried I have fried my forward clutches...

not that i dont believe that a manual vb isnt the only way to go with a drag racer or puller with big charger/s but you can also either zip tie you tps all the way out for 100% pressure or in my case with the pcs its always set at 100%..

It solved all my shifting problems, plus I don't have my PCM anymore so I need it. The main reason if gives u something to do other then just steer! haha

Thats my problem too... I havent even been able to launch at over 17 psi. Every time I have tried I have fried my forward clutches...

We had the same problem until we got a tranny builder who solved the problem. We fried about 3 that way.

well this has been a interesting read great info, but i do have a question with a manual vb and ratchet shifter what about the tv cable, do you wire it open or adjust it like normal im not real sure on this and would like to go that route with my truck

I had a local tranny guy do my vb and he set it up to lock in second. I have the cheetah shifter and love it for daily driving buy far my favorite mod for drivability with a big charger hot street truck.

Is that something that can be done with any manual VB? (be able to set the TC to lock in second?)

yes, if you know how, mine was a trans go kit, but they guys who know how are not likely to let it be known for free.

I have my lock-up set on a Digital timer super easy it's set for 1 sec at WOT so right when i hit 2nd it locks!!!!!!! [ame="http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/Adam_Sprague/?action=view&current=video-2011-05-11-19-26-59.mp4"]video-2011-05-11-19-26-59.mp4 video by Adam_Sprague - Photobucket[/ame]

Who's tranny you guys running now?

Calvin's Auto Repair
2310 Roxanne St
Sulphur, LA 70663
337-625-3968 talk to Brad

Estelly turned us on to them.

If you call them, tell them Rob from ATP told you about them. I haven't talked to Brad, Rob has.

They know what they are doing for sure, haven't fried one clutch since Rob switched, last 3 or 4 trannies didn't get even one pass on them before we took out the forward clutch pac.

Last edited:
We have been at Goerends all week working on some different things, including a few small changes to the manual vb. Havent got it back in the truck yet, but the constant pressure(200 psi) manual vb was shifting very smooth on the dyno. The tv adjustment will help tune the shifts also.

So I take the tv cable can still be used with the manual vb? What about lockup, for some reason I want to be able to lock the convertor in all forward gears, not sure if that is possible or not with the manual vb.