Manual VB W/Ratchet Shifter vs Auto VB

Ok, I haven't thrown in my full two cents on this thread yet...I have a full manual 47RH that was built by J&H Performance that is set at full line pressure all the time, and has a Sun Coast prototype manual valvebody that was built 5 years ago or something like that. The converter is from Phil at DPC. I have thousands of street miles on the truck, and dozens of transbrake launches. As did Harvey in his Ramcharger when he had most of this transmission in his rig. None of this is new, it's just a very small market.

JQ, im confused on the lockup at the top of the gear causes less clutch wear. Isnt the converter slipping more in 1st/2nd and the truck is trying to catchup to the converter speed ?

i have a daveG trans, i set lockup first and it enguages in 2nd. when i shift to 2nd it runs up to 3200-ish the the converter locks rpms drop to 2600. its like a 2.5 gear. The serial nature of the vb, lockhp takes a few 10th (as dave told me).

OD on top, lockup on the bottom. lokar shifter. non/ratchet

ae35a7eb-2cea-9bd4.jpg

ae35a7eb-2d3e-3a2f.jpg

Last edited:
Ernie at the shop can build you guys whatever you want, email me any questions you might have, I'll get back to you usually in the afternoon when I get a chance to corner him..

JQ, im confused on the lockup at the top of the gear causes less clutch wear. Isnt the converter slipping more in 1st/2nd and the truck is trying to catchup to the converter speed ?

It really isn't a matter of wear, more of it being able to hold or not, and really only an issue on trucks that are 1,000rwhp-ish. I'll see if I can find a graph.

Goerend can build whatever, I am sure.:rockwoot:

As of last summer he told me his manual vb wont lock in first nor does he have a reverse manual vb.

I cant help but wonder how much et I could gain if lock occours in 1st. 0.2?

If it matters to any of you, most of us here at the shop lock our trucks in 1st gear between 12-18mph.... we all use PCS's though.

If it matters to any of you, most of us here at the shop lock our trucks in 1st gear between 12-18mph.... we all use PCS's though.

You can do the same thing with a manual valvebody with a boost pressure switch or a timer off the transbrake release....

The way I see it either the PCS or an manual will work, it just depends on whether you want the responsibility resting on the driver or a computer. Either way will require a lot of tuning/seat time.

Yes, Dave G can do lock up in first. He is working on trans brake, but until it is perfect, he will never let it out of his door. So we are still waiting on that.

So I take the tv cable can still be used with the manual vb? What about lockup, for some reason I want to be able to lock the convertor in all forward gears, not sure if that is possible or not with the manual vb.

Yes, the tv cable can still be used. We found some interesting things on Dave Gs tranny dyno last week while playing with the tv lever with a manual/constant pressure vb. Something you'd never see just driving and adjusting.