MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

a964c9b0b369d26ccec8107136288639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he is using more torque with that taller gears. But i get what your saying. Torque does hurt chit but tall gears are fun! And you know me who needs over drive!! Eff it who needs lockup.

Well he is using more torque with that taller gears. But i get what your saying. Torque does hurt chit but tall gears are fun! And you know me who needs over drive!! Eff it who needs lockup.

4.11 final drive ratio times .69 O/D = 2.84 to 1 3.25 is a lot steeper than that.
Also locking O/D out of the hole applies a lot of force to the trans internals.

4.11 final drive ratio times .69 O/D = 2.84 to 1 3.25 is a lot steeper than that.

I am talking about the load coming out of the hole. I understand the final drive in third also. But the motor is being forced to do work (torque) out of the hole.

Great looking truck and runs. Y'all have a great setup going on! It's awesome to see hard work and dedication return some awesome results!

Best thing about this truck is its making hit after hit. It has had its breaks, but it's still putting on the miles .25 at a time. Impressive feat IMO

This guy get it.

Before I had OD on permanently with 4.11 gears, compared to NO OD with 3.25 gears I have 15% LESS final drive, meaning I'm actually leaving with less load against the drivetrain now then I was before.

2.45x.69=1.69 first gear ratio
1.45x.69=1 second gear ratio
1x.68=.69 third gear ratio
with 4.11and 110" rollout Hoosiers

Now have
With 3.25 and 109" rollout Mickeys

This guy get it.

Before I had OD on permanently with 4.11 gears, compared to NO OD with 3.25 gears I have 15% LESS final drive, meaning I'm actually leaving with less load against the drivetrain now then I was before.

2.45x.69=1.69 first gear ratio
1.45x.69=1 second gear ratio
1x.68=.69 third gear ratio
with 4.11and 110" rollout Hoosiers

Now have
With 3.25 and 109" rollout Mickeys

Just because i want to learn, how is it even possible to have overdrive on in First second and third gear. Building transmissions in the past if 1st gear and overdrive came on at the same time it caused broken parts. Its not like its a separate unit like a gear vendors.

So do you still have the OD section, it's just never shifted into that gear? OD might be fun for some standing mile events, go put the hurt on some exotics!

Just because i want to learn, how is it even possible to have overdrive on in First second and third gear. Building transmissions in the past if 1st gear and overdrive came on at the same time it caused broken parts. Its not like its a separate unit like a gear vendors.

Have you worked on an overdrive transflite? The OD is a completely separate unit the bolts onto the case which contains the First 3 gears and reverse. I'm not sure exactly which passages were modified to have it constantly applied, but I'm sure it is doable without much modification. Iirc, it is spring applied and hydraulicly released, so if no releasing pressure were applied it would always be engaged

Being that it's bolted to the back of the trans, it actually is like a gear vendors. It can be applied all the time.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how is od engaged with first second and third? I know chit about transmissions so thought it was just a seperate gear, so wondering how it works having them work at the same time.

lol think he may have got in a hurry when trying to say torqueflite.

On these particular transmissions, the OD housing bolts to the rear of the main case. It's basically like a gear vendor od married to a 3 speed 727. (For those who don't know)

lol think he may have got in a hurry when trying to say torqueflite.

On these particular transmissions, the OD housing bolts to the rear of the main case. It's basically like a gear vendor od married to a 3 speed 727. (For those who don't know)

That is what I was wondering.

I have worked on them, I do understand that it is a almost a separate unit but not really I know they pretty much designed it to be an add on style unit, to the 727/518 desgin. But they still work off the same pump and valve body. I have never heard of anyone doing that. I know anything is possible but would the pump be able to keep up. You are asking it to do almost one third more work.