MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

What does it do having od on in all gears? Apposed to not having it on I all gears? I mean I get its a seperate unit etc, just trying to understand this whole od on in all gears thing lol.

Overdrive is useless to split gears because in a regular 47 or 48 tranny, 3rd gear is direct 1:1, and in a super overdrive-on in 2nd gear, 2nd gear goes from 1.45:1 to a direct 1:1 so it doesn't split gears, it simply makes 2nd gear with OD = 3rd gear without OD.

There is never a need that I've seen hauling/towing to split 1st and 2nd gear and I've never encountered a hill that was too steep to pull in regular 1.45:1 2nd gear ratio. The overdrive trick does not give an extra (split gear) between regular 2nd and 3rd, nor does it give an extra gear between regular 3rd and 4th/OD.

The overdrive clutch is a brake clutch meaning it stops a spinning hub in the overdrive section and locks it to the overdrive tail housing case. A simple way to have overdrive engaged at all times would be a come up with something to lock the splined hub to the slotted OD case/tail housing. If Ryan M. wants to share how they did it, this is his thread and his place to mention it, I don't want to be the guy that divulges what they used although it was simple yet genius!!!!

Overdrive is useless to split gears because in a regular 47 or 48 tranny, 3rd gear is direct 1:1, and in a super overdrive-on in 2nd gear, 2nd gear goes from 1.45:1 to a direct 1:1 so it doesn't split gears, it simply makes 2nd gear with OD = 3rd gear without OD.

There is never a need that I've seen hauling/towing to split 1st and 2nd gear and I've never encountered a hill that was too steep to pull in regular 1.45:1 2nd gear ratio. The overdrive trick does not give an extra (split gear) between regular 2nd and 3rd, nor does it give an extra gear between regular 3rd and 4th/OD.

The overdrive clutch is a brake clutch meaning it stops a spinning hub in the overdrive section and locks it to the overdrive tail housing case. A simple way to have overdrive engaged at all times would be a come up with something to lock the splined hub to the slotted OD case/tail housing. If Ryan M. wants to share how they did it, this is his thread and his place to mention it, I don't want to be the guy that divulges what they used although it was simple yet genius!!!!

Thanks for breaking it down some. I was just wrapping my pea sized brain around this.

So that would equal some weird shifts going down the track?

What does it do having od on in all gears? Apposed to not having it on I all gears? I mean I get its a seperate unit etc, just trying to understand this whole od on in all gears thing lol.

With enough power, 1st gear is uselessly deep with stock or near stock gear ratios. Applying OD all the time is an alternative to re gearing

How can you explain in person on the phone!!!

That is about as silly as not leaving in 2nd!!

How many positive shifts can be made on a 47/48re if leaving in second? How is OD controlled mechanically/hydraulically without added electrical bits including switches?

Sent from my flashscan v2

Why leave in 2nd when you can leave in 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk