Mis-Matched? No longer.

The motor was finally completely disassembled. It appears as if I pulled a DockBoy and ever so slightly bent every single rod! :)

I suppose I guessed to high on the timing I was merely following the smoke output. Pick a duration. Run it WOT, add timing till it cleared up. IIRC (as my data isn't with me) HLT 34 is where I ended up with a HLD of 20 on the latest SSR. I suppose my problem was I did this on the street. argh. expensive mistake. I gota wonder tho if the rings did play a small roll in this. What about the lack of fuel? The AD150 was going to 0psi (found this out later at the track as I can't watch all gauges). Diesel's can run lean to a point.

Brand new 24vp rods are now balanced, peened and on their way to cryo. Long block should be done by the end of next week I'd imagine. Slightly bigger bore and OEM rings going in.

I'm told the total seal rings are fine. I'm opting to not use them. Make me an offer for a set of used ones! :)

I'm waffling about on the headgasket method. Haisley firering or OEM + copper. Apparently csynder bolted that head down very well and the gasket was stronger than the rods.

Last edited:
The motor was finally completely disassembled. It appears as if I pulled a DockBoy and ever so slightly bent every single rod! :)

I suppose I guessed to high on the timing I was merely following the smoke output. Pick a duration. Run it WOT, add timing till it cleared up. IIRC (as my data isn't with me) HLT 34 is where I ended up with a HLD of 20 on the latest SSR. I suppose my problem was I did this on the street. argh. expensive mistake. I gota wonder tho if the rings did play a small roll in this. What about the lack of fuel? The AD150 was going to 0psi (found this out later at the track as I can't watch all gauges). Diesel's can run lean to a point.

Brand new 24vp rods are now balanced, peened and on their way to cryo. Long block should be done by the end of next week I'd imagine. Slightly bigger bore and OEM rings going in.

I'm told the total seal rings are fine. I'm opting to not use them. Make me an offer for a set of used ones! :)

I'm waffling about on the headgasket method. Haisley firering or OEM + copper. Apparently csynder bolted that head down very well and the gasket was stronger than the rods.

Sucks to hear about the carnage but I'm curious how lack of fuel pressure, piston ring selection, or going lean, bends rods? Too much timing and torque at low RPM seems like more of the culprit than anything.

Sucks to hear about the carnage but I'm curious how lack of fuel pressure, piston ring selection, or going lean, bends rods? Too much timing and torque at low RPM seems like more of the culprit than anything.

I've never give it full load WOT under 2000rpm. Sure stalled it on the line to 20psi under 2000rpm (1800-1900). Even highway pulls were no less then 2000rpm. LLT/D was really low. like LLT of 18-22 range IIRC and LLD of 14-ish. "low" numbers on the SSR, assuming bigger numbers means more.

I can figured the rings helped keep combustion pressures high. The rods were used but in a stock application.

The made a FLAT 1450#foot across the entire RPM range, not exactly a lot of torque. My intentions were to make power with RPM. Run it in the 3000-3800rpm range while shifting under WOT conditions.

I'd have to agree. too much timing was the main reason.

Jason, why in the world would you not buy billet rods the second time? I have seen soooooooooooo many guys "build" a High Hp cr with shot peened cryoed Haisley Rods and make 800-1000HP and bend them.... Save yourself hundreds of dollars and spend a little more on a set of Billet rods. Or detune to 750HP and be happy.

Jason, why in the world would you not buy billet rods the second time? I have seen soooooooooooo many guys "build" a High Hp cr with shot peened cryoed Haisley Rods and make 800-1000HP and bend them.... Save yourself hundreds of dollars and spend a little more on a set of Billet rods. Or detune to 750HP and be happy.

I thought about that. But there are just as many that do well. Crap shot if you will I suppose with the VP rods. If I need to go through this again I'll end up doing rods or going to stock and buying that viper. :)

Its not a crap shoot, the guys who make high HP at low rpms will bend rods, put a big lazy single 80mm on it that doesn't make power until 3000rpm then you won't bend rods. Twins make a ton of low end HP starting as low as 1800rpm which wad your rods up in a hurry...

Of course just my opinion here, thats been formed from first hand experience.

Lavon

Its not a crap shoot, the guys who make high HP at low rpms will bend rods, put a big lazy single 80mm on it that doesn't make power until 3000rpm then you won't bend rods. Twins make a ton of low end HP starting as low as 1800rpm which wad your rods up in a hurry...

Lavon

I plan to tune the low end down and start making power over 2500 this time around

Dig a little deeper Jason, and throw in billet rods and 14mm mains and girdle.

Lavon

You said the same thing on page 19 and he still didn't listen LOL

Dig in the pocket an buy some billet rods or the next time we will all be laughing.

I'm laughed at plenty already.

I'm going to give these a shot again and work with the tuning.

So this graph.

madahehy.jpg

1400 is too much at those RPM ranges?

Going back here's where the SSR was tuned at based on my post with that graph.

llt 14
llr 33
lld 15
hlt 33
hlr 33
hld 24

The difference between the 2 pulls was 3 more numbers on the timing and 2 more on the duration. I most certainly can tune the "over 3000rpm" to make more power with just the SSR and pull power out of the lower end.

Last edited:
So Snedge sold me these rods off his shelf for $750. There's ~$450 into the polish, balance, peen and cryo. I'd hope I can sell them for $900-1000. I'm going to consider the billets.

Anyone have any leads on a good price? The Carrillo's still the lightest?

So Snedge sold me these rods off his shelf for $750. There's ~$450 into the polish, balance, peen and cryo. I'd hope I can sell them for $900-1000. I'm going to consider the billets.

Anyone have any leads on a good price? The Carrillo's still the lightest?

PM sent on Carrillo's