new 12v springs

So they didn't check things huh ... I have done over 100 12v head these springs r about .060 less installed height but .030 more before coil bind ... than stock and that 1.770 is a fluke made .. What was the head to valve face depth .039-.050. Guys playing the guessing games when building a engine isn't Hamilton fault .....

Hey buddy, I'm happy for your 100 heads. I only know the few I've measured recently trying to remedy an issue. My head is one I measured and I can guarantee it is a stock 88 cummins casting. You're stuck on this fluke thing. I know of 4 right now that are all under 1.800. Even when I got my cam from Zach I was told they'll be fine, don't worry. I haven't yanked my cam yet but will to see if it looks like my customer's.

Now, seeing as these springs, locks, and retainers were sold as a drop in no modifications needed, why would a do it their self type of guy check the height? I didn't check mine because I was told the same thing from Zach last spring. Then when I did measure it we found not so good info. It's an easy fix, but it would have been nice to know before hand. I'm not bashing Zach or Hamilton Cams. I just see an issue and was just trying to post what I see. These aren't high lift cams. We aren't even worried about high lift. It's the seat pressure and nose pressure we're looking at.

Last edited:
I tested one a few days ago......1.880" on the button. If I am getting 1.880"-1.90" and you have seen 1.770" then there is a major issue. Not one single person will ever be able to make a spring that will work with everybodies trucks with that variance....period.

I have never seen one under 1.840" (weird valvejob) .130" variance is more than any spring should be able to have to adjust for.

Send me your head and I will pay for the shipping and measure it. If there is a problem with the free cam I sent you, I will give you a full refund. I have been selling this same spring for almost 4 years and this is only the second complaint I have ever had. If there is something wrong with the installed height, I want to fix it.

I'll check my installed height early next week to see if there is possible issues. When are the recall locks going to be available to adjust the install height?

There are no recall locks. We have locks for engine builders that request higher or lower to suit their cam, but that is it. And 1-2 months on those. If you are not happy with your springs and they are in the box, send them back for a refund I have people lined up on backorder that need some.

Zach

I tested one a few days ago......1.880" on the button. If I am getting 1.880"-1.90" and you have seen 1.770" then there is a major issue. Not one single person will ever be able to make a spring that will work with everybodies trucks with that variance....period.

I have never seen one under 1.840" (weird valvejob) .130" variance is more than any spring should be able to have to adjust for.

Send me your head and I will pay for the shipping and measure it. If there is a problem with the free cam I sent you, I will give you a full refund. I have been selling this same spring for almost 4 years and this is only the second complaint I have ever had. If there is something wrong with the installed height, I want to fix it.

Free cam? Would you like to tell me when you gave us a free cam? How many cams did we buy at once? Or do you remember that?

On edit.

How do you explain a 1.900" installed height when you are using a -.100" Victory Lock?

Last edited:
lift**** Stock ******* 60lb ****** HD12
1.940”** 88********* 150******* 155
1.900“** 98 ********* 156******** 165
1.800“** 125******** 170 ****** 200
1.700“** 150******** 187 ****** 240
1.600“** 182 ******* 210 ******* 285
1.500”** 210 ******* 225 ******* 327
1.400“** 245 ******* 245******** 365

Is the extra ~40# going to increase wear dramatically? How is the new generation springs going to compare to these?

Any person putting a head together wether 60# springs or drop in springs needs to check their install height and pressure. Machine or shim or request different locks if needed. If you arent checking your work and what you just installed you should not be putting motors together.

We are fixing it on our own. You SOLD me multiple cams at one time and the 181/210 in the Corvette was one of them. Or should I say Ryan sold me the cams. Free freight is all I got, no free zinc additive, no free shirt, never expected it either. And for those that are gonna jump on the looking for free sh!t band wagon. I asked how good of a deal he could make us, and that he did, but free was far from it.

The CAM is not the product in question, the locks are. You would have been better off saying you gave us a hell of a deal on the springs over claiming the free cam.

Any person putting a head together wether 60# springs or drop in springs needs to check their install height and pressure. Machine or shim or request different locks if needed. If you arent checking your work and what you just installed you should not be putting motors together.

Zach sells them as drop in, if you can't trust the "manufacturer" why buy from them?

Send me the head tomorrow. If there is a problem with the locks causing a 1.770 installed height, I will send you a refund or a new cam your choice. My bet is you have either a valve issue or if you had seats installed, they were setup lower. Regardless, if it is our screw up, I will make it right.

We checked 3 heads in 3 different states, with Hamilton drop in springs, that all measure under 1.800" installed height, how would you explain this?

We have 3 GENUINE Cummins factory heads I will check tonight and in the morning along with a China head that has under 1000 miles on it and post results.

If you cant put together a motor let alone know how to setup springs you should bow out of motor building since setting up springs is beyond your comprehension. Just because something drops in doesnt mean it shouldnt be checked and looked at, every motor is different.

c4da1b88.jpg

Post some pics of the lock in question ,just installed a set today
On a 91 1.878 is lowest I seen

Anyone know what the installed height range is for the 110# 24v springs?

I should add that at 1.00 compressed height they were still not coil bound and I believe the nose pressure was 240-250 ish

If you cant put together a motor let alone know how to setup springs you should bow out of motor building since setting up springs is beyond your comprehension. Just because something drops in doesnt mean it shouldnt be checked and looked at, every motor is different.

Do us all a favor and go back to Cummins forum!

Just curious as you list Hamilton as a sponsor wouldn't a phone call been a better route to go on this conversation?

I mean honestly someone is going to be wrong here and if its you or Hamilton it would seem you still lose....

People wonder why we have a hard time picking up sponsorships when we eat our own? No disrespect intended just the whole thing seems odd to me.