newbie with unique project

As long as you don't end up with NMB2's attitude, I will like reading this build.

Good luck! Huge injectors and nitrous will help you make the most out of the cc's you do have....at least that was my experience with the VE. A 9 inch ford should be able to handle the power, but you should probably go with Pro Gears so it doesn't snap the pinion off. I would think you should be able to run 11s with it, at that power and weight. The p-pump 7.3L is Bill Jahns' truck. I think it's still sitting behind his house on flat tires.

I think I'll need 2 sets of injectors, the stage 2s are apparently like garden hoses. They will be track only and the other set will be for use where ever else...not as easy as a newer rig with a programmer to switch setting but it will do. Depending on the compression ratio I use (probably .110" off the top) I would like it to still be able to start without ether so takin it out on the weekend or whatever wouldn't be out of the question.

Speaking of gears, what ratio seems to be an appropriate one? And tire size?

For gearing figure out your peak rpm and work backwards from there....

max rpm is around 3400...with all the internals being balanced i might try to push it a bit higher...maybe 3700 depending what ken at DPS says about the fueling curve. so thats still up in the air and i guess i still got a bit of time for that....as far as actual progress goes ill post up what i have got so far on it. weekend is the only time i can work on it :( so here is where im at so far

821e0cc7.jpg

97bd9159.jpg

c7c6b58e.jpg

3d660ec9.jpg

10318840.jpg

c28b97c7.jpg

27ca0992.jpg

I like that this is different, but I could think of much more efficient ways to burn through your money. Best of luck with the project though!

Didn't the Hypermax built 6.9L/7.3L IDI motors get into the 1,000hp range? And last about 3 seconds there (or at any high power level) before they exploded like frag grenades? Trying to remember.

LOL, I like that it is different! Looks like you have already gotten some good advice on gearing and rearend. I look forward to reading about the build!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

thanks!

if all goes as plannded this weekend we'll yank motor and trans out, take the bed and cab off, buy the s366 from "tmoneydiesel" and get my cam back from the shop with the comp 910 valve springs and start head work

Only difference will be 2wd, shortbed, single stack and tires...maybe some updated paint too.

Around here the rednecks have everything from toyotas to lawn mowers with stacks so mine won't make it look like anything special :Throwup::homo:

Pretty sure there are more gassers with stacks here then there are diesels. And they all hangout in the McDonald parking lots during night time lol

Those are some freakin cool pics, I didn't know anything like that was ever done to an IDI.

Subscribed, keep up the work.

Did that truck belong to a fire department in a previous life? Looks really clean for an original 86.

Running low 10s with an IDI and C6 trans was a mean feat. Still would be competitive in most Pro Street fields today!

dadiesel.jpg

I wonder what the status on that truck is.

And little update on mine, worked all day yesterday then went to local bars grand opening, today we are in process of getting engine and trans out. Pics to come tonight

Sitting on flat tires behind the guy's house I think. Owner got tired of it breaking and parked it.