newbie with unique project

lol that is true...

starting to rethink the 2wd option...lets hear it from the experts...with the power that ive mentioned do you think that traction will be that much of an issue? with the leaf sprung rear end and tracbars? will i have enough weight back there to grip up nicely? or just find a straight axle 44 out of late 70s f150 and do the 4x4 route? thoughts?

Caltracs should help nicely.

Now, since you have it torn apart this far, why not 4-link it?

its going to be one or the other....4x4 or 4link...is the 2wd really worth the time spent figuring out all the angles to help it with traction? or would the 4x4 just help out with the launches but added weight/gears kind of offset the launch times? but, with the expected 4-450ish HP and good tires, would the traction on launch really be that bad?

remember, im a newbie when it comes to drags! :Cheer:

4x4 is the easy and heavy route. A 2wd should work even better, but would require an engine setback, mini-tubs, good suspension, etc. Or you could just put Cal Tracs on it and hope. That's what I'd do ;)

With 400hp you're not going to need anything drastic. Leafs with caltracs or ladder bars with coilovers would be the best bet. Since the power isnt there you will need to be light. 10.5 slicks will be more than enough.

Thanks that's what I was thinking too...

Any thoughts on how this looks? I got this 92-97 bed pretty cheap so was thinking of using it even though the fender wheel wells don't match the 80-86. What you guys think? Her is an example.....also got the engine cleaned up a bit so nmb2 can start the turbo kit fab.

truckbed.jpg

truckbed1.jpg

bbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddjpg.jpg

6ab5f42e.jpg

1c9f8c15.jpg

those IDI's would pull anything, might need a 3k rpm clutch dump to get moving but they were work horses LOL I like the idea of a quick IDI.

subscribed. :pop:

Sorry for no updates, but after about a month of searching I finally found a cheap 80s f150 short bed truck. (amazing how hard it was to find cheap). The engine is with NMB2 who is building the turbo kit for it. I'm picking up the truck on saturday and can hopefully get some Sh!t done on this thing...if only this Washington weather would cooperate and turn to summer already LOL then maybe I'll get some motivation to go do stuff out there...the f150 will be the frame donor

Picked this up today. 84 f150 shortbed 350$ new frame donor

Thanks NMB2 for lettin me use your trailer, 91 pulled it great, weighed in at 13250lbs...

7bc7c8dc.jpg

8fe75702.jpg

Time to start getting some s##t done on it

Body is F'd...he was asking 800, it had nice 35s on it and I was like "300 you keep rims and tires" he said "350 you have a deal" me "sold"

The body has a lot of cancer rust, needs a battery and radiator, frame is solid, no cancer and has a 9" rear end. I'll make my money back + some on selling parts and scrap. Good deal I'd say

Im not knocking you for trying the "different" route at all, but why? I mean your work and money could be put into something way more powerful and reliable. I mean even if you werer set on a sleeper type build do a cummins swap or something. Props for thinking out of the box but it just seems like your money and possibly talent could be put to better use. I mean realistically, what are you looking at money wise for just the engine build?

Why are you not just swaping your drivetrain into that 150 roller? That is so much simpler.

Im not knocking you for trying the "different" route at all, but why? I mean your work and money could be put into something way more powerful and reliable. I mean even if you werer set on a sleeper type build do a cummins swap or something. Props for thinking out of the box but it just seems like your money and possibly talent could be put to better use. I mean realistically, what are you looking at money wise for just the engine build?

Because I'm "different", I know I could be building something bigger, faster, and stronger...but then I ask myself, why? I can just go on YouTube and find all sorts of cummins powered ford builds....I wouldn't be very "different" at that point...I'm willing to take this old school indirect injection 7.3 and find any custom one off type parts I can and see what it can do....I think too many people underestimate these...money isn't really that big of an issue, by the end of it if I have 10k into the motor and its still not when I want it to be then ok what can I do to it next to help it get there. Estimating around 4-5k though for the engine....I'll only know for sure at the end

Why are you not just swaping your drivetrain into that 150 roller? That is so much simpler.

If the rust wasn't so bad I would. The 86 diesel cab, front clip, and hood are perfect, along with the 95 shortbed. I'll put the idi and e4od in the 150 frame

Because I'm "different", I know I could be building something bigger, faster, and stronger...but then I ask myself, why? I can just go on YouTube and find all sorts of cummins powered ford builds....I wouldn't be very "different" at that point...I'm willing to take this old school indirect injection 7.3 and find any custom one off type parts I can and see what it can do....I think too many people underestimate these...money isn't really that big of an issue, by the end of it if I have 10k into the motor and its still not when I want it to be then ok what can I do to it next to help it get there. Estimating around 4-5k though for the engine....I'll only know for sure at the end

Again Im not knocking you down for being different and I understand what your after, but at the end of the day your not gonna be that different if you get 500 miles out of it after the build and you "swole' the motor... Get what Im trying to say?