newbie with unique project

Thats awesome. Its cool seeing guys think outside the box and not just do the same "go fast recipies" that everybody else does. Keep it up.

fd9ea18a.jpg

f2884fe6.jpg

7f874750.jpg

ff55b3d5.jpg

Getting donor frame Friday, might cut or find a short bed, start bodywork...once my turbo gets here start the intake and exhaust manifold fabbing

Have you thought about doing a front K-member? Just cut the frame in front of the cab and weld it in. Theres lots of companies that can make awesome front suspensions. Whats nice about that is itll save you lots of weight and they come needing only slight adjustment to get the geometry right, much easier than starting from scratch. But on the down side they are pretty expensive, especially if they have to custom make mounts for the IDI... Just a thought

Wasn't most of the issue with the IDI's the blocks flexing and cracking to pieces? There have been several threads on the powerstroke boards about building IDI's and besides the hypermax truck, I haven't seen anything over 300rwhp!?

I think it would be awesome though. Keep up the good work.

member on here built up a idi that was 300/600 at wheels on a 6.9l. his name is NMB2 im surprised he has not chimed in yet. he has about 5000 hard miles on it so far and is now looking for new charger to get more juice out of it. (he isnt pushing it to the limit just wants a reliable tow rig for his wheeler) powerstroke nation has his full build thread. he will be the main brain on my engine build up he lives just down the road from me.

the fuel seems to be the limiting point. the DB4 150cc pump by DPS was the first one that would really be capable of 300+....unless you go inline like the hypermax idi then you pretty much need to get your hands on one of the pumps like NMB2.

here it is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLLih8FbhPU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLLih8FbhPU[/ame]

he also runs W/M on it and has hit ~38ish psi on the road with that hooked up. this dyno run was upper 20s psi boost. hasnt had any real mechanical issues that question the strength of the idi so far so i guess well see how it all goes.

and thanks!!

That dually actually sounds good. I am not a ford guy but think its a cool project and give you props for the idi power plant.

Any one know anything about running a spool valve? Would this be a good idea? Or just kept the divided function with each bank running one side of turbine?

With a blower you wouldnt need a spool valve lol Its already different than any other drag truck, make it WAAAYYY different :poke:

Last edited:
lol that is true...

starting to rethink the 2wd option...lets hear it from the experts...with the power that ive mentioned do you think that traction will be that much of an issue? with the leaf sprung rear end and tracbars? will i have enough weight back there to grip up nicely? or just find a straight axle 44 out of late 70s f150 and do the 4x4 route? thoughts?