newbie with unique project

Triples?? LOL nah, unless you run two of them in a true twins set up I wouldn't monkey with the 351s on a 7.3. Way too small of a turbine and too many blades (60mm exducer 12 blade). I have put some together with 64mm exducer 10 blade turbines and it really freed them up though. I would still limit housing travel to about 2/3 and gate them for best efficiency. I've been playing with these VGTs for a while, if you decide to do something with them I can help answer questions, and if you don't I can probably help you find new homes for them.

Got one of those 351s on my driver and its bad azz !! Lol (vids and pics if interested) but on another note, I'm ditching the 7.3l idi. .... In the market for a 6.9l. Down side of this is that the stud size is 7/16...7.3 is 1/2"...6.9 block has more meat to it so we plan on making the 6.9l accept a 9/16th stud.... Also in the market for an s480, will be doing it with a compound set up

Might want to keep the boost down and run a couple holsets. They don't handle big boost like the later model engines.

Big boost on an idi!? Lol c'mon, they barley have enough fuel to get up to speed!! I've hit 18ish so far. I need to upgrade fuel system on that 91

I definately like the idea of doing something different.

If you are going to have the cam done, I would like to have a shot at doing it. I like to get into different projects.

I definately like the idea of doing something different.

If you are going to have the cam done, I would like to have a shot at doing it. I like to get into different projects.

2 cams have been made so far...one for high rpm high boost, one for driving/ towing...I'll pm u more info

Lookin for an s480 to run with my 366. Ppump mock up is in process, then sending it out to ctdyounggun. Body is coming along

98167D2F-692D-4CC5-AF34-DB4440CBB6B5-4963-00000351BD958E9D.jpg

Why add the 480? The 366 should more than meet your needs for the power you are after... I was also curious about what you plan on doing with your precups and injectors.

I'm not convinced the 66 is enough. The 7.3l at 4000rpm moves a lot of air. As of now precups on idi is not an issue, with 160cc of fuel is all that has been tested. If it appears to be a constriction then well take that on when we come to it. Injector pontles will be ground

idk the difference between ford and gm idis but the gm guys found some positive gains with porting them a little bit. whats your pop pressure going to be set at? I think a little smaller twins will help it from being a smoking slug at driving rpms.

Still have some experimenting do do on the injectors, so not sure of pop pressure quite yet. Do you have any actual proof of numbers / efficiency ? Or just word of mouth? I tried looking for actual proof but didn't have much luck. I'm also guessing the driving characteristics of this truck will prevent it to be a street truck...so mainly trailer and track. Although that will be determined after we actually finish it and drive it.

Lookin for an s480 to run with my 366. Ppump mock up is in process, then sending it out to ctdyounggun.

...anxiously awaiting the pump :rockwoot:

I'll have to look into it some more, but you'll probably benefit froming raising the pop-off pressures closer to a direct injection pressure...as long as that doesn't turn them into pre-cup melting blow torches. Rod and I have been talking over some ideas.

word of mouth so far. most idi guys are cheap so dyno runs are not made much to prove how much power their making. some of the guys running more fuel on smaller precups were reporting smoke on high boost that wouldnt go away even at higher boost because the precups couldnt burn everything effiecny. only precaution to raising pop pressure is to not make it too high so you dont sieze the inj pump.

I've been reading about the builds you, Racin, and NMB2 have done and I admire your tenacity to build an engine most turn their noses up at. I like doing things differently too and might put one of these in an old pickup someday, haha. How's everything coming? Are you using DPS injectors as a baseline or just customizing e-codes? It's extremely difficult to find info on IDI engineering. I had a crazy idea of seeing if some old Cat idi injectors (off a 3116, although it's extremely difficult to find anything on them because I doubt they'll admit to dabbling with idis...) would somehow work or if you could make injector cups for them to work. It probably wouldn't but it seem to me (now that you have the pump situation taken care of) that injectors would be your limiting factor for making power. I look forward to seeing this build come to fruition!

Last edited: