Pacific Coast Diesel Nationals - Presented by ISSPRO

We are heading out in a couple hours, won't be there till 8pm or so.

Weather is looking nice, this is going to be a great weekend! BTW - for anyone coming South on I-5 be aware that I-5 will be closed through Portland starting 11:00 pm Friday. I would just take I-205 from North of Vancouver all the way until it meets I-5 in Wilsonville, I usually take that way anyway to avoid traffic through central Portland.

At the risk of being captain obvious, I think its worth mentioning Michael's comments again. Rush hour might be margially better on 205.

How about a re match grudge race this weekend

IMG_0663.jpg

Knocked Ken out of super diesel and knocked Verlon out of sportsman again haha. Nitrous worked until I blew turbo and had the motor runaway on the oil. Runner-up in both sportsman and super diesel. Great day of racing, good sportsman turnout. Thanks everyone for the good times, and the ATP guys for helping push the truck back into the trailer lol

Here are 152 pics I took at the P.C.D.N. from Woodburn Oregon today. I do believe I got a pic of every truck.

I had to leave before the final round, so I did not get it.

The Pics are in reverse order of the day. The first pic is the last pic I took and the last pic is the first pic of the day.

Sorry, no videos.

Click on title here --> [ame="http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/napadew/NHRDA%20Woodburn%20Dragstrip%20July%202012/?start=all"]NHRDA Woodburn Dragstrip July 2012 pictures by napadew - Photobucket[/ame]

jc

I wanted to say thanks to all of the people who joined us for the ISSPRO Pacific Coast Diesel Nationals yesterday at Woodburn Dragstrip. While it got a bit warm and the race took a while to complete, the killer traction did not disappoint as many best-ever ETs were set. I managed to miss the ISSPRO-sponsored lunch and barely spent any time in the booth as I was racing my truck and also racing my car in the track's regular weekly race, but as I drove by I saw tons of people in both places!

Congrats to all the winners -
Brad Ponci won Top Diesel
Rob Coddens won Pro Stock, Pro Street, AND Super-Street!
Dustin Gullet won Super-Diesel
Michael Pliska (who?) won Sportsman ET

I'm not sure anyone has ever pulled off a triple win at an NHRDA National event, but even if they have, Rob's accomplishment was phenomenal! It's noteworthy that Dustin works for Rob's company, so that was a full set of 4 "Big Cup" trophies going back to Adrenaline Truck Performance! Rob had his work cut out for him in Pro Street, as Jarid Vollmer had the Bullydog truck qualified #1 at 9.355 @ 154.37 mph! Jarid was kind enough to loan me the truck for a qualifying pass in Pro Stock, so I can qualify for the World Finals in that class in case I can finish my race truck in time. In the Pro Street finals Jarid pushed through the beams handing the win to Rob.

Also notable was the fact that Rony Vandenberg made the long trip down from Alberta and made it to the final round in both Super-Diesel AND Sportsman ET. Unfortunately a turbo let go in the final of Super-Diesel, and he proceeded to have a runaway engine as it ran off the engine oil for a few terrifying minutes. This was the first time I had heard of a Duramax having a runaway, and has convinced me to include an air shutoff on my new race truck build! Fortunately Rony was okay, but it meant that I had an anticlimactic single in the finals. I was really looking forward to a good race with Rony, as he cut a 0.005 light in the semis, and my lights ranged from 0.002 to 0.031 except for a 0.069 in the 1st round. There was plenty of close racing in Sportsman ET as the field included multi-time NHRA divisional champion John Floyd Jr, and track champion Nick Shepherd.

I was really excited to get one of the famous "Big Cup" trophies, and looking forward to drinking a beer out of one!

2012-07-21212409.jpg

I even tested it out with water to make sure it held liquid! However, by the time I packed up and loaded the ISSPRO display booth (which included my Pro Stock Truck chassis & body) as well as my pit area, the pits were almost empty and even the ATP pit area was dwindling as people dozed off. I'll hoist a cold one in the trophy tonight though!

Thanks for a great event Michael..

I managed to pull off a perfect light, only to get beat by .0071 by Verlon

slip.jpg

Here are 152 pics I took at the P.C.D.N. from Woodburn Oregon today. I do believe I got a pic of every truck.

The Pics are in reverse order of the day. The first pic is the last pic I took and the last pic is the first pic of the day.

Sorry, no videos.

Click on title here --> NHRDA Woodburn Dragstrip July 2012 pictures by napadew - Photobucket

jc

Thanks for taking pictures. You got some good ones of me running against Rob. I wish I wasn't sleeping on the line, would have been a better race.

Was a great time for sure and wasn't hot at all compared to Indy or Brainerd. Want to thank IIPRO for sponsoring, and NHRDA for putting on a great event. Not too many trucks in the faster classes but tons in the sportman class and a good number in Super Diesel but I think only 11 actually raced due to a couple breaking early. Big congrats to the ATP crew for taking home 4 event wins, as well as Brad Ponci and Michael for their wins as well.

Super Diesel is getting tough. I couldn't believe the great lights a lot of the guys were cutting. I figured they must have not set up the tree correctly and they were using a .5 protree instead of a .4. I even went to the tower and checked and it was correct. There were 15 .4 protree lights cut in Super Diesel that were under .099 sec. Rony had 6, his best being 0.013 (against me:bang) Dustin had 4 his best was 0.10, Kregel and I both had two his best was a .081 and my best was .064, Verlon had one a .029. Lots of passes really close to the number as well. This is getting to be a damn tough class.

Rony beat me in the quarter finals, he hadn't ran faster than a 12.02 all day so I figured if I fendered him I'd win. He cut an 0.013 light to my 0.106 which on most days is a good light on a .4 protree he held the NOS down the entire pass, (which I'm sure might have contributed to blowing his stock turbo in the final aganst Dustin). I was waiting for him to come back to me like he did in Brainerd but he kept pulling way so I hit the DSP 5 switch to catch him. He still beat me to the stripe by 0.046 sec and his 11.711 was better than my 11.665:eek: I trapped 126.13mph too :doh:. Again lost my head in the heat of the moment, I should have hit the breaks hard at the 1200 ft mark and I might have not broke out. Who knows, that racing. The only postive is Verlon lost in the same round as I did so still only 40 points behind him.

Next stop Edmonton on August 11th, can't wait.

Sorry, no videos.
jc

Got two sweet pics of "Under Pressure". Thanks! I stole them, I hope you don't mind. If I post them, I will give you credit.

If anyone else has vids/pics of the truck, I sure would appreciate them! Thanks!

No problem, those pics of the trucks are for anyone who did not get any pictures of them self racing that day. Enjoy. The pic of Under Pressure, when it is by it's self, is just a second after it lost it's turbo plumbing early in the day.

jc

Last edited:
I had a camera guy running around too. I'll go thru them when I can. Engine has priorities lol.

Thank you very much for an awesome event Michael!! And for lunch lol. I had a great day, good lights, fast times, until the super diesel final when she decided it was enough. Was really looking forward to run you in SM final, I knew you were dead on with your lights and ET's. Hopefully we can return to Woodburn annually, I will sure be back.

Back