Painting my truck, with pics

I guess I will go ahead and paint my other fenders for my Suburban when I install the Cummins in it soon. If they turn out good I'll repaint the whole dang truck.

Just remember to follow the basic rules & it will turn out fine. Here is my checklist. I'm no pro, but here is what I follow.

1. Before priming over a panel which you have fixed dents using filler, always guide coat & longboard to assure its straight. Guidecoat is sold at any body store in cans. All guide coat must be removed before priming.

2. Bare metal surfaces must be cleaned/treated with Picklex or similar metal prep. prior to spraying epoxy primer.

3. Always use epoxy primer on bare metal, then shoot your Urethane surfacer, then block that with 360, 400, & finish with 600 grit paper. You will be watching the more coarse sand scratches disappear.

4. Clean the surface with soap & water, then spray off with hose on mist setting. Then clean surface with clean rags, wax & grease remover, then wipe dry with a clean rag. Mix your paint, allow it to sit while you tack rag the panels.

5. Always follow instructions to the "T" when mixing paint.

6. Basecoats should be sprayed on with the gun 8-10 inches from the surface. Gun adjustments should be made so that you have a wide pattern. Usually turned all of the way open. If you get striping, turn the pattern down.

7. Always overlap your passes 50-75% & watch for even coverage.

8. Before clearing, make sure base has set up atleast 10-15min & dry to the touch. check your basecoats for dust/bad spots. At this time, you can easily remove spots using a tack rag or scotchbrite pad, then shoot more base.

9. After base is dry, tack rag again to assure no dust in clear. Apply first coat of clear with a wide pattern 50-75% overlap & lay it on wet, but keep the gun moving. Not so wet that it runs, but wet enough so that you see a shine.

10. Apply 2 more coats of clear 15min between coats.

Thanks guys. I am surprised at how much this color changes, I'm really liking it alot. I'm working on getting my other 2 doors ready to paint the jambs.

I found some surface rust on my rh front door. It was hiding, but I found it while sanding. I sandblasted the lower door & peeled the door skin back, then sandblasted inside also. Then I reattached the door skin with door skin adhesive & cleaned/coated the metal with Picklex. I'm gonna finish sanding this door tomorrow & hopefully start on sanding the rear door so that the paint can fly.:rockwoot:

View attachment 14246

View attachment 14247

View attachment 14248

View attachment 14249

View attachment 14250

View attachment 14251

Last edited:
Wow Jamey!! Looks good so far.
I can't believe I just now found this thread. Keep up the good work. :clap:
Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Wow Jamey!! Looks good so far.
I can't believe I just now found this thread. Keep up the good work. :clap:
Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Thanks man. You just found this thread.LOL I thought you were ignoring my progress all of this time, you're not so bad.:clap:LOL

Looks about the same! Urs maybe a little darker but i cant really tell a difference! Depending on what light its in mine looks lighter or darker!

I finshed sandblasting the door this evening. I blasted the lower outside tonight. The door got a good coat of Picklex & it is about ready for epoxy. I've been working long hours, not much time in the garage this week. The weather is still way too cold to spray anyways.

View attachment 14302

Last edited:
Looks good, as you know it is all in the prep work, and there is a lot of prep work. The color looks close to my 79 ford it was Plymouth prowler burnt orange.

Attachments

• trish&79.2.jpg
    trish&79.2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 67
  • twisted 5.jpg
    twisted 5.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 52