Pistons?

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
Doing our research on the Fuel economy cams showed us that a cam is only part of the equation. I think we are going to have to come up with a piston with higher compression to fully address the fuel economy equation. That being said, is anybody interested in a first generation style piston with a shorter/lighter pin with 18.5-19.5 to 1 compression ratio?

Thanks,

Zach

what would be the benifits and draw backs other than econ?

12v is doable. But I don't of anything in the 24 valve realm that is that high.

The 1st gen piston has cracking problems due to the shorter pin but the bowl design is great. Frito/lay van 4bt applications ran a higher compression piston that was proprietary. I don't have an ESN...

Benefits. Higher potential expansion ratios. In effect, you will be able to more completely combust the fuel with less timing. Less timing advancement will allow the fuel to be injected later in the stroke making more pressure more degrees after TDC. Retard the exhaust and now that pressure can work longer before it is released. This will make a very efficeint engine at 1800-2200 rpm, combine that with a new taller 5th gear and we are looking at some very big jumps in fuel economy!

As for strength, it is a shorter pin with some added material in s few points in the piston, This will not be a 1k hp piston but a killer OE to 600 or so hp piston.

Last edited:
I can say that the vp truck we bumped the compression on got better fuel economy, turbo lag was reduced, it was alot peppier all on stock tuning. So more benefits than just fuel economy too for people wondering

I'm curious to see the power limits with compression bumped up!

19.5 : 1 ???

I'll beta test 4 of those... as long as they can handle 4k rpm and a bit extra fuel !!

Haha. I am in the process of trying to figure what to do next since the heads are done. Pistons and efficiency seem to be a very real issue that has never been fully addressed. We are at a major intersection in diesel performance. Injectors, cams, heads, turbos, programming and now compression can all be tampered with. Usually one or two of those things is altered for the sake of fuel economy but seldom all of them. That is what we are doing.

Zach

The question here is how much are these pistons going to cost vs. what kinda gains in economy are you going to achieve? Swapping pistons out isn't exactly cheap and it's going to take a while for people to see their investment returned. For the hotshot guys, might be worth it, but for the average joe I don't think it'll really be worth it.

I can see it for the guys that want a SOLID, reasonably practical daily driver.

Even before you threw 600hp out there I had that idea in my head. It is a great idea, but I see the market being fairly limited due to cost/benefit...

I don't see a issue with it, you have guys putting $800+ pistons in DD's as it is, constant new motors being built, if you can build it without it ripping out the wrist pin if people start to push it which I know they will. Then do it, I worked with a wrist pin company and came up with a nice strong light wrist pin awhile back. People are looking for a over the road piston that can hold up like a Ross, Mahle, etc. Something to think about. Average Joe might end up being your biggest customer........

Maybe think about a pin height for a 6.7 crank swap?Is this a reasonable thought?

gwhammy. I will consider that next round.

The 12v's are done and will be coated in the next week. The 24v's will be cut in two weeks and the another week or so until they ship as well.

Here is the 12v race piston with the wider bowl and the .120 cuts and the street piston that has a bowl similar to the 286110 but higher compression and slightly shallower bowl.

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

Zach.
Is that a steel insert on the top ring? If you happen to know anyone that wants to do a quick 6.7 build with higher compression pistons, I have a new set that the bowls were welded up and re-machined(nicely done with only about .005 removed from the tops). It would probably make a good setup to compare to a stock 6.7. I think they figured out around 19.5 to 1. You can have them if you want. I've sorta got a collection.:hehe:

RonA

If I remember right from our PM's these are .030 taller CH?

Last edited: