Pistons?

Weston, these are not perfect pieces. There is no way that I can come out with the best product in the world on the first go. Mahle and other OEM's have been at this game a long time. It would cost me 200-300k to get a test lab in order to highly refine our designs and get the absolute last bit of power out of our pistons.

It is much cheaper for me to give my 4 best educated guesses in terms of designs to a manufaturer and have some made, especially when the blanks are already on the shelf. I am not a know it all wizard and there is nobody else coming out with things like this, so I am willing to gamble a little bit with designs. Based on my finite knowledge of what goes on in an engine, some input from people like Weston that are more intelligent than I on injectors and my own "thought expirements".

What I hope is that with street trucks that have turbos that are too big, that with the aggressive cams we have combined with the new pistons and maybe our new head, that they will greatly increase power in the lower rpm ranges and decrease smoke.

Lower compression is much more forgiving in terms of component failure with poor tuning.

Level 33.1
What do I expect to see with new higher compression pistons? Blown head gaskets and trashed chargers from people that do not know how to tune combined with a learning curve for how to setup a truck. These are real negatives. A different cam will be a necessity as well as different timing.

Technically, I expect to see the same power achieved with less timing. Some tuners artificially increase peak cylinder pressure at TDC with crazy advanced timing. With higher compression ratios, there is a greater amount of heat and oxygen in a smaller area, that will be much more apt to create a much better pressure rise. With less timing, you will see more oxygen available after TDC and a resulting more violent burn without the negative effect of the piston fighting to get over TDC in order to get the Spkie needed to cobust the fuel.

Higher compression also solves another issue in that as ports get better and better with new castings, port volume and cross section usually increase which "slows" the intake flow and makes the port slightly lazier. Higher compression will increase the velocity of incoming air and will take more advantage over a wider rpm range of the new heads available. A greater vaccum wil be created soon after TDC which will more fully take advantage of the greatly increased low lift flow numbers.

Another advantage that people like Weston are preaching is that the wider bowl will allow greater freedom with injector designs and timing. Since the bowls are more shallow, you will see that advantage without the negative aspects of the usual wide bowl and low compression.

I believe these pistons will allow possibilities with injectors, heads, turbos, timing and rpm range and total efficiency, not previously possible.

I am just dumb enough to throw money at something I think will work. These pistons will have areas that they can be improved on, no doubt. But I will continue to screw with different designs and how they work with overall combos.

I am gambling on these to solve a problem. I did not see the gain that I wanted in our 200-220 in the lower rpm range. It was as good as our 181-210 from idle to 3800 rpm and it showed gains over our 188-220 beyond 4200rpm but it was a little flat in the lower rpms where the 188-220 killed it.

One of the main reasons is that a lot of the cylinder pressure is bled off in the lower rpm because the intake valve closes quite a ways after BDC. At higher rpm that is a definite benefit and allows more air to be trapped using the ram air effect and the velocity of incoming gasses. If we were to increase the port volume to pick up even more power on the top end even more power would be lost on the bottom end due to lack of port velocity.

One way in which we can get some of the bottom end back is to increase the low lift flow of the head. This is done with pocketing of the intake valve and playing with valve angles. This increases flow without increasing port volume and losing velocity. Next is to increase compression ratio. This inceases the spool, port velocity, and requires slightly less timing which increases the bottom end while maintaining the same power up top. THis is all well and good in that we have gotten a little bit of the low rpm power back that we lost with the bigger cam without losing on the topend. But to make more power on the big end without losing any more bottom end another thing needs to be tweaked.... rate of injection. I believe that the new injection pump cam, the 200-220, high compression pistons, our new head and a 66 to 71mm compressor will might possibly create a new benchmark for driveability and power in 2012.

Another thing I forgot to relay is that previously we lost power at higher rpm due to the loss of duration and lift from Rocker arm deflection. Weston, Keating and SMT have solved that issue in order of cost. This will allow greater high rpm power with out the loss of low rpm.

One last piece of the puzzle will get the 12v engine back where it needs to be.

Instead of a timing retard plunger and barrell, a timing advance P&B will allow the better bottom end of less timing with the greater high-rpm potential of advanced timing. This is going to be a hard one to make happen as I am sure Bosch will not jsut make me what I want. I will have to work with aftermarket injection makers and I refuse to go to China for components like these. If I can swing it, it will be a big advancement for mechanical injection. I have looked at variable timing cam gears, but that is just beyond my feeble engineering capabilities and pocketbook at this point. If we did it, fly-weight or boost(pneumatic) actuation is what I think it would have to be to get a more variable advance instead of oil presure controlled by solenoids and the resulting on-off effect of advance.

2012 , if the world doesn't end, will be exciting for diesel power!!!

I apologize for the rambling

Zach has the top ring level miscommunication issue been addressed on these pistons or were you just going to run with them set like whats pictured?

I dunno. These were the first articles. I am lucky to have found a manufacturer that will work with me in such small lots and I am not in a real position to hold their feet to the fire. I will be back in the office on the 23rd and can go ove the samples and our initial models and make sure everythig is in check. Since they were the first articles, there is a chance something got mixed up. I am waiting on the manufacturer to clear that up.

Just read over my last post. I am embarrassed by the typos. I have so many emails and posts to reply to, that I forget to go back and proof read my hurried typing.

I will post up any developments on these pistons. I should have both first articles on the 24v wide bowl (race w/.120" flycuts) and the 24 valve smaller bowl (.030"flycuts) in the next week or so.

Zach has the top ring level miscommunication issue been addressed on these pistons or were you just going to run with them set like whats pictured?

Personally, I would like to end up with a set of the race pistons with the higher ring land. I realize this would not be the normal demand, but for guys that are willing to go the extra mile (more like 2) to get valves where they should be, and need the deeper reliefs as a result, there may be a market for that version.

Even better, a street piston with deeper reliefs to get the smaller bowl.

We might consider that. I will let you know in the next week what the manufacturer says. You might get your wish if the pistons have been run already. Also, if your timing and injectors allow, the smaller bowl piston could have the flycuts cut deeper. The bowls would still be wider than most highway pistons in use.

This will give the injector guys something to work with for a while.

and there is nobody else coming out with things like this,

There are, one design to fit all applications whether it be 12v, 24v, Common Rail 5.9L or 6.7L. But I would still recommend possibly looking at creating a better/thinner headgasket, something that I feel is needed either way.

Weston, when Cummins refers to a piston as "squeezed cast", how would you descibe that in common terms? I'm half inclined to consider that a forging, but not sure.

They have some interesting terms for some of their manufacturing procedures.

Two part die that is pressed together, commonly known as selectively reinforced squeeze casting.

we are lucky to have the knowledge of people like zach and smokem and rona and jim on tap...

for the better of our sport and us "nubs" sittng here watching and learning

we are lucky to have the knowledge of people like zach and smokem and rona and jim on tap...

for the better of our sport and us "nubs" sittng here watching and learning

:clap:
Learning more now than I did my freshman year of college.

i want a big bowl with 120 vavle reliefs with stock or close to stock compression for a 12v. im needing these soon gentalmen. ill buy a set to test from either of you two..
while im wanting how about a set with higher pin location for a 6.7 crank? would it be worth doing?

There are, one design to fit all applications whether it be 12v, 24v, Common Rail 5.9L or 6.7L. But I would still recommend possibly looking at creating a better/thinner headgasket, something that I feel is needed either way.

How would a thinner gasket help? It needs to conform a bit for block/head imperfections... I just cant see how but if it can be proven, then I can see it.

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

Stock gasket is .060 thick if you remove .010 so it will be .050 thick it will raise the compression about 1.5 cr so from 17 to 18.5. we do it with copper gasket and low cr pistons

Last edited:
I understand the raising compression but I am talking about how thinner would have just as much strenght in keeping fluids and gasses where they should stay.

Copper sounds real expensive...

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

The thickness has nothing to do keeping all the stuff were it is. You could do the same with silicone as what the gasket does

Last edited:
Plus the fire rings yes :shake: I have done a few gaskets on the bigger cummins where silicone was used with multiple other parts of the gasket.