Pistons?

Copper sounds real expensive...

Its not too bad i was quoted a price for a head i have that had some massive grooves cut in it for fire rings. For the gasket and fire rings it was about the same as a standard HG with fire rings.

I think a thinner HG would be ideal for raising cr. A ton less work than swapping pistons plus pricewise it would benefit and there would proably be more people interested, I would think anyways.

With a head gasket that is much thinner valve reliefs will be necessary if you have much of a camshaft. Pistons will have to be flycut then anyhow. These pistons are looking to be priced comparably or less than new pistons and having them flycut.

If you have a head gasket problem and need a replacement quickly a std head gasket can be had almost anywhere, anytime. If you have a piston problem you are gonna have some downtime regardless.

I'd still be all for a thinner headgasket, I'd use them in some bone stock applications, but there is some places where these pistons and a std gasket may be better off.

These pistons are looking to be priced comparably or less than new pistons and having them flycut.

Price may be close to these.

286110.jpg

The finish work on the valve reliefs on that mahle is just plain sexy.

Zach, any cc numbers on both the street and race version?

Weston, any cc's available on the one pictured?

Last edited:
Everything about that is sexy...even though it's missing a couple valve reliefs.

where could you get blank pistons for a 6.7. I just left machine shop to give the machine shop giving them grind specs. for my crank. I would love to raise the compression on this engine since it's getting built any way.

I think RonA has a set for the 6.7l that has higher compression. You might check with him.

Zach

Yea I seen that. Is anyone running welded pistons on here? In 11 years of diesel & 12 of gas engines, I have never seen a engine with welded pistons. Not saying it would not work just hate knowing what happens if it goes bad.

Alright, I finally had two minutes to be able to sit down and do some calculations.

The 12v piston with the larger 64.14mm bowl and the .160" flycuts is around 17.1 to 1 Compression ratio and the piston with the 58mm bowl and the .050" flycuts is around 19.7 to 1.

I will have updates on release date as soon as possible.

Alright, I finally had two minutes to be able to sit down and do some calculations.

The 12v piston with the larger 64.14mm bowl and the .160" flycuts is around 17.1 to 1 Compression ratio and the piston with the 58mm bowl and the .050" flycuts is around 19.7 to 1.

I will have updates on release date as soon as possible.

That sounds pretty good! so those valve releifs are deep enough to run your 188 camshaft? Standard gasket?

Around 49CC factoring for the flycuts. This is a very close approximation with compression ratio +/- .15 .

and young guns, yes if you don't cut the head so much that the valve is too shallow.

Last edited:
I think RonA has a set for the 6.7l that has higher compression. You might check with him.

Zach

As soon as the price of aluminum scrap gets up a bit higher I'll take thes higher compression pistons to the recycler. 6.7's don't stay together at stock compression. No sense exacerbating the situation. Build 2 5.9's instead.LOL

Been a little while, any word on what is going on with the 24 valve pistons? Trying to figure out what I want to run in this p-pumped 24 valve I'm putting together for my daily driver and I've always liked the idea of actually raising the compression while still making room for more lift on the cam. Are we still looking at a $100/hole price point?

Yes, what stan said..... This is really interesting stuff....

Keep up the good work Zach!