Rebirth of Monster Mudder

The old super stocks used seat-belts to open and close windows>very light and simple.

Looky, Looky, my intake is done and shipping out to me next week. Thanks to Joe @ JokerFabrication for doing the mods to it, can't wait to start getting the parts on the truck and getting it running again.

6894813447_32e07e6a30_z.jpg

Finally got to work on the truck again, yesterday I filled in all the cracks and broken sections of the dash with 2 part epoxy, think it will hold together for another season now. That thing is just brittle as can be. I also made the bottom pan for the front of the truck out of a sheet of aluminum and self tapping screws. Should keep a lot of mud out of the engine bay.

6929910731_20bcc6f72b_z.jpg

6783794092_5abff51a47_z.jpg

I also received my intake from Joe yesterday, and test fit it on the truck. Need to get my exhaust manifold ordered from Steed Speed and my W2A intercooler setup.

6783794696_c2080c5e0d_z.jpg

6783795484_76202f32aa_z.jpg

I also finished building my inner fenders, I used some Desus fasteners I had laying around to attach the top piece to the sides and the outer fender.

6929913321_4d56355571_z.jpg

6783796796_00f9c1ab85_z.jpg

6929914879_ea45243229_z.jpg

6783798402_7732a230af_z.jpg

6783799060_411810f358_z.jpg

6783799646_ee84c42bcf_z.jpg

I made the fenders where I could easily remove them by undoing the 4 fasteners and 4 self tapping screws.

Didn't do much on the truck today, rerouted the 3/0 battery cables a better way and got them all tied together and attached at the engine end. I also started making my gauge mount for the dash. Since the dash is so brittle, I'm going to mount a piece of 1x2 angle aluminum to the dash with several bolts and big washers, then take the 1x1 angle i mounted the gauges too and bolt them together with a couple of bolts. This should keep the dash from deteriorating even more hopefully. I also put together the wiring for the gauges.

6933592999_1d4b59bf92_z.jpg

6933593809_a016e53550_z.jpg

I really like those inner fenders. Very cool truck! How does that th400 work in there? Good? do they hold up well?

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm hoping the fenders hold up, guess we will see once the race season starts.

The torque converter was cut apart last week and looked perfect inside. I'm waiting on seeing what the trans looks like in the next few days. I know it needs new clutches due to me trying a 4x4 high run and the trans getting hot. I've trippled the cooling capacity this year for the trans, and will leave it in 4x4 low all season. The trans held up to 20psi foot brake and trans brake launches all season. This year I plan on using the trans brake everytime, and rapidly shifting 1-2-3 right off the line so that the engine is fully loaded and at full boost before the deep stuff at the end of the pit.

Talked to the trans builder today on my th400, nothing tore up, some wear on the clutches and the tranny fluid was burnt. He's putting a rebuild kit in and it should be done in a few days. The torque converter is on it's way back from California. Going to try it tightened up a bit more and see how the truck runs with it that way.

Next week I should be ordering the exhaust manifold and the water to air setup.

Didn't do much this weekend on the truck, as we went to the Heartland Highland Cattle Association meeting in Branson, but I did do a little Sunday afternoon when we got back. I've cut the bumper apart that we built 2 years ago and with the installation of it, the front end is pretty much together. I got my torque converter via ups today and will hopefully get my transmission friday. I also placed my order for my steed speed exhaust manifold and my second battery mount today. Things are starting to get ordered and arriving, can't wait to get it started again.

6960617929_ee91c66644_z.jpg

6814502626_e94e11f7f4_z.jpg

6960616325_09af705795_z.jpg

Got a little done this weekend on the truck, I swapped out wheels with my 99, that's atleast 10 lbs per wheel in weight savings. I removed the drum brakes from the rear end. I have the second battery and it's holder mounted and wired. Started planning my water lines for the radiator. Waiting on my exhaust manifold to get here and my Trans is supposed to be ready Thursday. Im ordering my w2a intercooler this week.

Getting itchy to get the truck running.

Thanks, starting to get a little short on time to get it done. Only 6 weeks left till the first race.

Here is what I think I have left:

Mud Truck Order List
Order Water to Air Intercooler setup
Order Rear Disc Brake Conversion kit
Order Front and Rear Bilstien 5160 shocks
Order Manual Boost Controller
Order Electric Water Pump
Order AFE Air Filter with Outerwear
Order Caltrac's for truck
Order SDX 5x18 injectors
Order SDX Comp Delivery Valves
Mud Truck ToDo List
Remove front fenders
Install 3rd leaf spring back on truck
Install Disc Brake Conversion - waiting on DB order
Bleed Brakes - waiting on DB order
Wire Fans and Pumps in Bed of truck
Route water lines from Radiator to Engine
Change engine oil
Install Transmission - waiting on Trans to be done
Install Stub Drive shaft - waiting on Trans to be done
Mark and Cut Intake firewall hole - waiting on trans to be done
Install Intake - waiting on trans and holes to be done
Install Exhaust Manifold - waiting on EM to come in
Install Turbo - waiting on EM to come in
Test fit existing downpipe and figure out if
*************** it will fit or need to order new one - waiting on EM to come in
Mark and Cut Exhaust Side Firewall hole - waiting on EM to come in
Figure out Wastegate Exhaust Placement thru back of hood - waiting on EM to come in
Figure out Water 2 Air Intercooler placement - waiting on W2A to come in
Final Mount Exhaust manifold - waiting on holes to be drilled
Final Mount Turbo - waiting on holes to be drilled
Mount Waste Gate - waiting on holes to be drilled
Mount W2A Chill Tank - waiting on w2A to come in
Run Water Lines to Intercooler - waiting on w2a to come in
Reinstall Dash - waiting on w2a to come in
Mount Gauges - waiting on w2a to come in
Mount Switch Panel - waiting on w2a to come in
Mount Relay Bank - waiting on w2a to come in
Mount Power Distribution Block - waiting on w2a to come in
Mount Ground Distribution Block - waiting on w2a to come in
Run Wiring for Truck - waiting on w2a to come in
Install Front and Rear Shocks - waiting on shocks to come in
Install Caltracs - waiting on caltracs to come in
Install Electric water pump - waiting on water pump to come in
Reinstall front fenders
Install Air Filter - waiting on air filter to come in
Install Injectors - waiting on injectors to come in
Install Delivery Valves - waiting on dv to come in

Had my sons here at home this week for their spring break, and we worked a little on the mud truck. We added a leaf to each side in the rear, that raised the truck 1 1/2 inches in the rear. Removed the drum brakes from the rear in preparation for my disc brake kit getting here tomorrow.

My electric water pump should be here tomorrow too. I've ordered my bilstien 5160's for each corner and they should be here this week. Still waiting on my exhaust manifold, it was going to get coated on weds.

We picked up my th400 thurs evening and got it stabbed this morning, still need to hook up the shifter and bolt up the converter, but now that it's in, I can cut the intake hole in the firewall and once the exhaust manifold gets here, figure out which w2a intercooler configuration to get. My Trans builder also noticed when he was building the tranny, that it was missing the bearing that goes behind the direct drum, that 3 bolts for the valve body were stripped out, and the filter was installed incorrectly. With the bearing missing, he said that would explain the slipping I was feeling because it would have had too much end play and the oil hole could get misaligned.

We also started building the water lines to the radiator from the engine.

Went and talked to starlite today about a trailer, they are 4 weeks out on building me one, so I need to pull the trigger on it soon if I'm going to order a new one.

Last edited:
Did a little more on the truck today, installed my electric water pump that came in from Jegs today.

6845359580_42559e786f_z.jpg

I was planning on installing my disc brakes from Blackbird Custom Trucks, but the USPS and the lazy carriers screwed me out of that, they dropped off 2 of the 3 packages at my cousins place and then left a missed delivery slip for the third. And of course by the time I found that out, they were no where around. So not sure when I'm going to be able to get the third part of my order (backing plates, calipers and pads). i have the two rotors, but they are pretty useless without the other package.

I did figure out my piping for the radiator return line today, I just need to tear it apart tomorrow and weld a bead around each section of pipe so that the hose clamps can get a good hold on the exhaust pipe. I also need to pick up some more hose clamps as the hose I'm using it pretty thick and I want a good clamp on it so I'm going to use double hose clamps on that hose.

6845371330_6555ce8206_z.jpg

6991498339_6e51c42b54_z.jpg

I also buttoned up the transmission today, getting the torque converter bolted on, dust cover on, and shifter hooked back up. I picked up a new trans dipstick that was longer and flexible.

6845368372_dfef92cc52_z.jpg

Started wiring up the fans/pumps in the bed of truck as well, need to pick up some ring terminals tomorrow to get it finished up, then I'll run the hoses for the transmission coolers and then start on the plumbing for the water supply line.

Here are some pics of the mounted tires

6845360464_cc28d02e47_z.jpg

6991489273_f3ee3fb730_z.jpg

Well, I got a little more done on the truck today. I finished wiring the Radiator fan, two Transmission Cooler fans, Fuel Pump and wiring for the water pump in the bed of the truck.

I also ran the transmission hoses and got them hooked up.

And then I fought with running the 2" water lines on the passenger side. I managed to tuck both water lines on the top of the transfercase mount and my custom transmission mount. I finally got them ran and double clamped, but may have to make a change up front. I won't find out till my exhaust manifold gets here and I can figure out my downpipe placement. Really wishing I could just run a hood stack in my class, would be so much easier.

I installed my stack and the 90's under the bed so I would know where they would be when running the water lines, that's why the passenger side lines go so far towards the center of the bed, then under the bed, it then goes back towards the frame on the under side and then runs along the frame.

I also cut the hole on the intake side for the water to air plumbing.

Here are a few more pictures.

Relays and 70 amp fuese
6848870566_4ab5555850_z.jpg

6848915462_ec7ccc192f_z.jpg

Radiator Wiring
6994995489_4cb74e73ea_z.jpg

Fuel Pump Wired, Trans Coolers Plumbed and Wired
6994996953_533d724eab_z.jpg

Stack put back in so i could see where the 90's would be under the truck for the water lines
6848876012_2bde388042_z.jpg

Water lines up top
6995002945_c650984e84_z.jpg

6848881876_0b47a37899_z.jpg

Water lines in engine compartment
6848957724_a7abc89762_z.jpg

Firewall hole cut for intake
6848959114_f43f0d1489_z.jpg

Last night I was able to get one side of the disc brakes installed on the truck, I'll install the other side this weekend when I get back home from work. Kit went together well, I need to pickup some new hard lines to go across the axle and will pick them up and bend them to not go over the top of the axles. I found that i'd almost flattened one portion on the passenger side with the hooks I use to secure the truck on the trailer, so when I run the new lines, I'm going to loop them down on the back side of the axle so I don't smash them again.

The kit I bought was from Black Bird Custom Trucks and went on easily.

7001752329_ebe2c562f2_z.jpg

Still no exhaust manifold yet, getting to the point where it's now holding me up from getting more things accomplished on the truck.

Rear shocks will be in looks like Monday, and the front shocks sometime later in the week.

Hopefully the exhaust manifold will be here by the end of the week, so I can get the W2A intercooler configuration figured out and can get it and the piping pieces ordered friday.

Well, still waiting on the Exhaust manifold, will hopefully find out monday where it is when Steed gets back from Vacation. Rear shocks will be here on Monday, front shocks towards the end of the week. I ordered my Caltracs friday and they should be here by the end of the week. Today I ordered my water to air intercooler setup, it will hopefully be here by the end of next week too.

I finished up the rear disc brakes today, got them bleed, and the line tabs welded on the truck and the new hard lines bent and attached.

I final mounted the intake manifold today as well, paiting the runners and base yellow and repainted the valve covers.

I finished double clamping all my water lines, and started getting the wiring ready in the cab of the truck.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start filling the tranny, change the oil in the truck, grease all of the u joints and get the main wiring done in the cab while I'm waiting on parts to get here.

I'll post some more pics up tomorrow night

Today started off bad, went to put a new sink faucet in the kitchen, and ended up having to run to the store over an hour away to get longer water lines.

But I did get most of my wiring finished on the truck, the engine compartment is complete and hooked up in the cab, the wiring in the cab is done except for the gauges and switches that go in the dash.

I also changed the oil and started greasing the truck till my grease gun took a dump on me.

Parts should start arriving tomorrow and am pretty much just waiting on them to come in.

Here are some pics.

6869761874_e67e4db77c_z.jpg

6869763066_613bf5c7c4_z.jpg

7015874303_6185b77e82_z.jpg

7015875591_61b94552ed_z.jpg

Were you able to get the e brrake hooked up to the discs? My cable didn't fit on the new brakes LOL

I got the non ebrake calipers for the race truck, so I didn't have an issue hooking up the ebrake cables

Back