Rebirth of Monster Mudder

Yesterday marked the beginnings of changes to the mud truck for next season.

Got the bumper, radiator and intercooler removed and started taking measurements to start designing the radiator framework for the bed of the truck and where I can stuff the water 2 air intercooler in the cab of the truck.

I think I'm going to skin the front of the truck with some sheet aluminum, maybe diamond plate in place of the bumper, I do need to cut the tow hitch and brackets off the bumper to remount them on the truck so I have a good place to attach too for when I need to be pulled out.

I've worked up the costs of all the mods I plan on doing for this season and it's around 4k worth of parts to get it done, that includes new 5x0.0018 injectors, some sdx comp delivery valves, water 2 air intercooler setup, second transmission cooler, shipping and rebuild of th400 and torque converter, 2 new batteries, 3/0 battery cables, electric water pump, rear disc brake conversion, new 5100 bilstein shocks and traction bars.

The rebody is going to have to wait another year until I can get my shop built, it will be aleast spring if not summer before it will be started, then I'll need to put electric in it and cover the interior with steel before I can do any work in it.

I think I've settled on a 2 stage process to get my ultimate shop, stage 1 will be to build a 30x50x12 polebarn with a 10' shed on one side. The side without the shed will have a 10x10 roll up door for getting vehicles in and out, one end wall will have another 10x10 roll up door. The shed will have a smaller door for getting smaller stuff in and out like 4 wheelers, mower, etc. Have a bathroom in it and then a parts storage area with the air compressor and HVAC system in it. The phase 1 shop will be heated and cooled.

Phase 2 will be a 40x60 shop with a gravel/chat floor for vehicle and equipment storage. It will run perpendicular to the 30x50 and attached with that door on the endwall of the 30x50 going into the larger shop. I'll put a shed on the opposite side of the bigger building for stalls for horses and cattle and build pens off of that side. I'll also build a paint bay into the 40x60 barn so I have a dedicated clean area for painting my projects.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate this next weekend and I can start cutting and welding my radiator framework together.

Working on designing out the radiator lines, does anyone have a thermostat housing that points to the passenger side vs. the standard drivers side? I know they made one that went up, one that went straight out, left and right, I would like to find one going to the passengers side so I can run both water lines on that side of the truck. Give me a shout or pm if you have one, if I can't find one, I'll get some 1 1/2 exhaust tubing bent to fit what I need.

6544730889_72f29ba4f0_z.jpg

I bought this garage in a box last weekend and put it up so that I have somewhere to work out of the weather and store stuff, also bought a propane heater for it. Going to pickup a second one to park the mud truck in while I tear it down and build it for next year. They are 12' x 20' going to run them end to end, so I can open the doors between them and be able to get to tools and work on the truck easier. Not ideal, but it will work till I can build the shop this summer.

I bought a second garage in a box, but bigger than the 1st one, this one I can drive trucks in and out of it, I put them end to end so that I can open the interior up and have room to breath.

6592075065_9401f60932_z.jpg

I've started tearing the truck down getting ready for modifications, think I'm going to cut out the front inner fenders and build some aluminum ones that allow more tire room and easier to clean out. I've been getting mud removed from every crack and crevice on the truck, bet I've knocked an additional 100lbs of mud off the truck that I just couldn't reach. Here are some picks of the tear down.

6591840389_7dc9778838_z.jpg

6591842147_03eda37ee3_z.jpg

6591843675_d54d111fa0_z.jpg

Got in a few parts this week, some 3/0 welding cable for the new battery lines, lugs and a crimper for the the 3/0 lugs. A second transmission cooler, it's larger than the one I ran last year, will run them inline to hopefully cool the trans better. Also picked up the angle and flat bar to build the radiator and transmission cooler rack for the bed of the truck.

Made a little more progress on the truck, finished tearing things down on the engine, removed the turbo, exhaust manifold and the tube intake. Intake is going to Joe at Joker Fabrication so he can rework it to feed from the rear for the water to air setup I'm putting together. I'm replacing the stock exhaust manifold with a speed steed unit with a t4 straight flange and a port for my external wastegate.

I've been hacking on the cab and frame with the sawz all and the cutoff wheel, when I removed the bed, found about 2 inches of caked mud all across the spare tire brace, so I hacked a big hold in the center so I could keep it washed out, also hacked out the bottom of the brace where the carrier bearing was to keep it from filling up again with mud. Also removed alot of unused brackets, tabs, etc. Working on cutting off the anti sway bar mounts on the front axle right now.

6625404609_4be243e1dd_z.jpg

6625365857_bf1bfb6545_z.jpg

On the cab, I removed the rest of the overhang on the front of the cab over the engine, once I get the intake back and the w2a cooler and figure out the final placement, I'll cut the holes and make any additional metal remove needed to fit it in.

6625406511_644f5f5ff0_z.jpg

Does anyone know of an easy way to remove linex from the bed? It will be interesting to see the final weight of the truck once I get it back together, and see how much weight I moved to the rear of the truck. It was at 5400lbs.

6625408707_ed3eea6a9d_z.jpg

I've decided to cut the front inner fenders out of the truck, and build some tubs out of aluminum sheet.

The garage's in a box held up to 50 mph gusts this weekend, so I think they will work. I had to add some additional stakes to anchor them better, and put some 1' x 8' strips of osb I had laying around around the base of them held up by concrete blocks to help with wind whipping the loose bottom foot of the tents.

Started building the radiator mount/support today for the bed of the truck

6656145089_f2b4b1c114_z.jpg

6656146885_9947542e55_z.jpg

I still need to flip it on it's side and build the bottom mount for the radiator to rest in. Right now I just have it blocked up to get the other parts built. Once I get it setup for the radiator, then I'll take some 2" strap and make mounts for the trans coolers on the front side of the radiator frame.

I shipped the tube intake back to joe @ jokerfab so he can modify it to feed from the rear.

It's gotta handle the rough pits, if I was just drag racing, it would be built a lot lighter. There is quite a bit of side to side forces this has to stand up to. My fuel cell stand I built was light, but it allowed side to side movement and that caused the fuel cell to break all of its mounting tabs. I've got to beef it up too and find someone that can rig the fuel cell back together.

Got the mount just about finished today, still have to drill some more holes to finish up the transcooler mounts and give it another coat of paint.

Here is a pic of my workspace:

6663246981_a869a98195_z.jpg

6663250227_d0ba64a335_z.jpg

6663257595_d101887be5_z.jpg

6663259949_3c18307387_z.jpg

Has anyone converted thier power window'd truck to manual crank windows? How hard is it and what parts are needed? Trying to reduce more weight out of the truck and with the power windows in both doors, that would be a good way. I still need the windows to roll down as it's a hot sum***** during race season and that's my only way to see once through the pit is opening the drivers side window .

Today is was my one day off between being an employee and being an independant consultant, so after running errands today, I chilled out in garage in a boxes and finished up the radiator mount and got the trans coolers mounted on it. I also stripped both doors on the truck, taking out all the wiring, door panels, speakers, mirrors and power windows regulators. I'm still undecided on if I'm going to put a manual regulator in it or setup some straps to raise and lower the windows.

Tomorrow I'm planning on pulling the transmission and torque converter so I can ship the converter out to get tightened and drop the transmission off in a couple of weeks to get new friction material put in.

6692207165_322d7b9e29_z.jpg

6692208315_9f82faafb4_z.jpg

6692209703_3983c7b601_z.jpg

Been a little slow working on the mud truck, started out on my own consulting 2 weeks ago on a new project, so I've been wrapped up in that working out of town 4 days a week, came down with some nasty coughing crap for the last 2 weeks and finally starting to feel like myself.

I put new manual window assemblies in both doors, so the windows are working again. I changed the oil in both diffs and the transfercase and put the bed back on the truck. I took most of the wiring out of the truck, getting ready to pull the dash out of the truck so I can build the mount for the Air to Water intercooler. I also cut the steel inner fenders out of both front fenders so I can begin building new aluminum inner fenders that keep mud out better. This will also keep my front wheels out of the inner fenders during hard hits.

Right now I'm waiting on checks to come in so I can start buying more parts for the truck. Hopefully they will start rolling in soon.

6779113655_b408134c6c_z.jpg

6779111961_fe0cffcf1f_z.jpg

6779110033_45eec4c4f2_z.jpg

6779108395_32ba4d4e48_z.jpg

Naked

Today, I fixed my fuel cell mount problem, got it mounted back into the truck and got the radiator support and radiator mounted. I built a framework out of 1/8" strap and mounted it to the fuel cell base I had built. The cell shouldn't fall off now in the rough pits. Tomorrow, I'm going to mount the front fenders and start making templates for the new inner fenders I'm going to build out of sheet aluminum.

Talked to Joe @ JokerFab today, intake is cut apart and getting welded back next week. I'm shipping the converter out to California this next week and will probably drop the trans off next friday to get new clutches put in.

The truck is starting to come together, should start ordering parts in 2 or 3 weeks to get what I need for it.

6819978339_b77aa7559a_z.jpg

6819979475_e514d2f73c_z.jpg

6819980659_55fef2396a_z.jpg

6819982069_8704563e1f_z.jpg

6819983381_68eebc25a8_z.jpg

6819984709_70e5fe6227_z.jpg

6819986267_20f4dfc615_z.jpg

Nice work on your truck. What's the reason for the rad movement to the bed? I'm guessing to keep all the mud from clogging the fins and such making it not able to cool?

Yes, keeping mud out of it is part of the reason, my other reasoning is, I was already removing the intercooler and switching to a water to air setup (installed in the cab, behind the engine), so I decided to relocate it the bed and shift more weight to the back of the truck and try to lighten the front up some more.

The bumper is gone too, along with all of the belt driven components, and anything else I've been able to remove off of the front of the truck. I'm going to skin the radiator area in sheet aluminum and under the front of the engine as well to keep mud out better.

I cut the inner fenders out and going to build something out of aluminum for that as well, probably just a divider wall between the engine and the fender to close off the engine bay.

Basically I'm trying to balance the truck out better instead of it being a nose heavy piglet.

Looking good man!!! Keep the updates coming I love reading and following your build!!

Been working on the truck this weekend, got the dash out of the truck and ready so I can build the mounts for the w2a cooler. I made the main battery cables for the battery up to the engine compartment out of 3/0 welding cable. I started on building my inner fenders out of some sheet aluminum and some pieces of aluminum angle. I only bought enough to start on one. I've still got to build a top cover for it, will do that later. I also made the front end cover to block where the radiator/intercooler were. This will hopefully help keep mud out of the truck. I need to pickup some more aluminum sheet and some angle so I can finish the one fender, build the other fender and cover the bottom side of the engine compartment.

6859171611_cfaa0196e7_z.jpg

6859169509_731b20b417_z.jpg

6859166809_2690107567_z.jpg

6859162887_1acdc9e7c4_z.jpg

6854172447_231e8909af_z.jpg

6854171327_88903510e7_z.jpg

6854169955_4ae1e5176f_z.jpg

Great progress!

I really wish they had some one with a truck like yours down here to run in the mud races here. They are opening up a mud track about 5 miles from where I live in April and one of the guys I talked to that work there said he would really like to see diesels out there. There is another track about an hour and half from me, but I haven't made it there to watch any of the races.

Well, no progress today, I finally tracked down my coolant leak on my 2005 dodge dually, the water pump was the culprit. The engineers must have designed the engine to be worked on by someone with tiny hands, because my big hands are cut and scapped up like crazy. That ate up the couple of hours today right at the freezing mark. I can't wait till I have my heated and cooled shop built, this working on trucks out in the elements sucks.

Back