Running Compounds with No Wastegate

Is there going to be a brace on the primary. Or the manifold supporting it alone.
I like the plate mounting the primary. But have seen a few 12valves on here with the mounting ears broke off the head.

Well according to references the hot pipe along with the plate and manifold support most of the primary weight. I can and may install a bracket for the primary if i feel it needs an extra support i havent really come to a conclusion yet.

Why are you joining the turbo drains? Are there not 2 holes on 12valves?

Most 12 valves only have one oil drain port in the pan rail. There are some late models with two I belive there called storm blocks.

I never seen a 12v with 2 oil drains my thought is usually when folks are running compounds they have the option to Y the drain hoses together or drill a hole Into the oil pan. The oil pan method is the more legit way but most folks running a y don't really run into any issues there no reason to do more work if not needed.

My 98 had 2 ports. The rear one has a freeze plug in it from factory. The later 98's had them, and were called storm blocks, and to my knowledge every block since has 2.

Yeah but they interchange to a 24v block from then on so I can definitely see it as a possibility. Almost done now the issue is the Downpipe

My 98 had 2 ports. The rear one has a freeze plug in it from factory. The later 98's had them, and were called storm blocks, and to my knowledge every block since has 2.

I think you're right.
I don't know if there's a rhyme or reason to what 12V trucks got storm blocks.
BTW STORM stands for Straight Thread O-Ring Metric and refers to the drain plug (instead of a tapered plug). If I'm not mistaken!

I think you're right.
I don't know if there's a rhyme or reason to what 12V trucks got storm blocks.
BTW STORM stands for Straight Thread O-Ring Metric and refers to the drain plug (instead of a tapered plug). If I'm not mistaken!

I don't think so. Just one of those whatever's lying around kinda deals. Like I have 98.5+ plugs under the hood, that just aren't plugged into anything.

Alright guys it's finally done I'm running open downpipe till I get the exhaust v banded.When I went an gave it a hit I noticed my boost was maxed out at 50 psi. It didn't go any further and I had to shut her down since I was Going about 100 mph. There are no wastegates until I can afford a wastegated manifold. Is there anything I should look into????? both turbos spool up just fine no leaks no other mechanical problems

What is the secondary and primary boost? And what was the primary size again?

Alright guys it's finally done I'm running open downpipe till I get the exhaust v banded.When I went an gave it a hit I noticed my boost was maxed out at 50 psi. It didn't go any further and I had to shut her down since I was Going about 100 mph. There are no wastegates until I can afford a wastegated manifold. Is there anything I should look into????? both turbos spool up just fine no leaks no other mechanical problems

That doesn't sound too bad to me.
HE351/S480 right?

Does it clean up 100%? I think you could spool more if it did, but if you don't have a wastegate, your secondary is going to go boom if it sees 50psi often. That's got to be overspeeding like crazy!

Also, do you have any trans work? I can't believe a stock trans is taking that much abuse.

63/68/.91 over 80/96/1.32. You really need to get a boost gauge for the primary. The hot side on that 80 is fairly big for a 12v. I suspect your primary boost is probably 15-20ish and the 63 is doing most of the work. Primary boost gauge, wastegate around manifold turbine, and full rack travel on that pump would be my priorities.

No its still smokey but not as bad on the top end. Of course I have trans work lol and its a s363/s480

Agreed that the 1.32 is loose for anything short of 900hp.

Move the boost gauge to the intermediate pipe or get a 2nd boost gauge. 50psi is low but if the primary is making 15psi thats pretty evenly balanced. Just ball parking it, the secondary would be contributing 10psi. Once you get more solid numbers you can start to work some pressure ratio's.

Last edited:
Will (Big Blue24) is running the same 7mm DV's but smaller 5x014" VCO Budget Builder Injectors on his He351cw over S480/96/1.32 setup and we're seeing 80 to 84 psi max boost, and anywhere from 35 to 45 psi out of the S480. It's right around 650HP and it cleans up well on the top end and runs clean on the bottom end due to the AFC LIVE stage 2 controller....

I wouldn't be surprised if you have a big boost leak on the intake side like the charge air cooler, blown intake manifold gasket, airhorn gasket, or similar. And ideally, it would be helpful to get a second boost gauge so you can see what the S480 is doing as far as pressure ratio.

Last edited:
I've gone over it Todd I don't see anything out of place no torn boots or anything

So you've done a leak test? Not just visual? Even with a giant leak mine will easily make 70psi. 85-90psi when its running well.