Running Compounds with No Wastegate

Isn't that technically true on a single too? Wouldn't some overspeed be ok if it's spinning a little more "freely" with less strain on the shaft/compressor wheel?
I think he is referring to the pop off valves similar to what are on air tanks as a safety. I commonly see these in a compound setup.

A actual blow off valve is supposed to release after releasing the throttle where overspeed isnt as much of an issue. Most applications where a bov is used typically doesnt see near the boost we do in the diesel world either

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

I have a tight Converter hopefully that will help spool up with no gate but I am running .91 twin scroll on my 66 when I had it spool up was still a bit slow. Right now I am just trying to figure out how to get the tranny cooler installed

Having a tight converter will make it spool slower than more stall, more rpm is pumping more air.

I think he is referring to the pop off valves similar to what are on air tanks as a safety. I commonly see these in a compound setup.

A actual blow off valve is supposed to release after releasing the throttle where overspeed isnt as much of an issue. Most applications where a bov is used typically doesnt see near the boost we do in the diesel world either

Oh I gotcha. I remember hearing about those failing and sending little brass parts through the engine anyways. You'd have to be high, or high, to run those things.

Oh I gotcha. I remember hearing about those failing and sending little brass parts through the engine anyways. You'd have to be high, or high, to run those things.
Yeah ive never understood them much. Seems a valve that small either wouldnt do much or wouldnt react fast enough. I guess ive always tuned my trucks down if theyre making "too much boost"

Yes, pop off valve. Just dumps pressure when a preset limit is reached.

Blow off valves are different, and are another waste of engineering effort on a diesel IMHO.

Chris

Still awaiting parts for the charge pipes I don't know how much longer it will be

So just an update on this guys I spoke with Steed Speed and they inform me making a wastegate on a pre exisiting manifold can weaken the manifold and damage to a point that the manifold will not seal correctly so at this point I would have to resell my manifold and buy a wategate one.

So just an update on this guys I spoke with Steed Speed and they inform me making a wastegate on a pre exisiting manifold can weaken the manifold and damage to a point that the manifold will not seal correctly so at this point I would have to resell my manifold and buy a wategate one.

They're talking about if you put too much heat into it and warped it. If you have a decent welder/fabricator do it for you, it'll be just fine. If you take your head off and have him do it with it bolted to the head, it'll be even easier!

Or you could just buy another one.

So i Will be running without no wastegate hopefully nothing gets damaged and I can take it from there

Yeah Cornelius I wouldnt have the space or time to take him the head he spoke with steed personally to make sure the right information was being said. Hes a great welder but he rather take it as a precaution he wouldnt feel right messing up the manifold

Just a teaser guys
[ame="http://s11.photobucket.com/user/zrultima/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/IMG_5585_zpsgmwnzre1.jpg.html"]IMG_5585_zpsgmwnzre1.jpg Photo by zrultima | Photobucket[/ame]

IMG_5585_zpsgmwnzre1.jpg
Sorry about that
IMG

Last edited:
here some more
IMG_20150709_214838_zpsvtbnpndq.jpg

I was not able to get the plate to lone up correctly but its cummin along

Looks excellent so far, especially for a first time building compounds!!!!

Keep the pics coming!

Just to give anyone an insight on what the hot pipe looks like from the inside
I used 4 inch instead of the 3.5
IMG_6988_zpsamzw4ccs.jpg

IMG_1914_zps664aevg2.jpg
IMG_20150707_202304_zps3qbajnfu.jpg
[/IMG]

Looking good. I would suggest port matching before you weld the pipe on. Thats the best access and look you'll ever have at it. And might as well use the chance to smooth out or round the divide in the direction of flow.

Last edited:
I already had it welded on I will run it like this for now but it does look good

20150630_104701_zpsex9qdihw.jpg
I have had alot of little things come up on me with this build I was going to make another thread posting information and parts that I have needed to build this. This is very similar to 06towrig compound build on his 3rd gen but nothing that he used on his works for my setup. Everything from the hot pipe charge pipe downpipe have all been different.

Well enjoy

IMG_6231_zpsvutgeubo.jpg

[ame]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/zrultima/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/IMG_0616_zpstnlpg8x1.jpg[/ame]

This is the oil drain y pipe

IMG_0004_zpsndztguqd.jpg

IMG_20150709_214726_zpsjai95l5i.jpg

IMG_20150709_214449_zpsweaj2fhy.jpg