Running Compounds with No Wastegate

I've ran compounds with no wastegate but it was a s363 gated with 68mm turbine and a s480 on a 24v monster pump setup made lots of power and 105psi I had 2 inline blowoff valves 3/4" set at 50psi and never would keep a head gasket on it! I'm think a gated 80psi setup is plenty for stock flowing head!

Damn thats some high boost for sure. I don't think any head gasket is going to have much luck with that. Any drive pressure info on that?

I'm setting my new personal max boost as 90psi. I start to see why having a gated primary is a smart idea. This is why the secondary gateless setups is a problem with us manual guys I think. I want boost quick but need it to hold together to 3400 rpm also.

Last edited:
Damn thats some high boost for sure. I don't think any head gasket is going to have much luck with that. Any drive pressure info on that?

I'm setting my new personal max boost as 90psi. I start to see why having a gated primary is a smart idea. This is why the secondary gateless setups is a problem with us manual guys I think. I want boost quick but need it to hold together to 3400 rpm also.

I didn't have drive pressure info on it I know it was way off I never had the time to try to tune it in I was fighting the head gasket all the time... I'd say 80-90 is way enough to support most of any street truck

Well just to give you guys an update I bought a Turbosmart comp 40mm gate just in case ill check the boost with no waste gate and see where i will go. If I do decide on the wastegate what do you guys have it gated at?

I modified the stock manifold and has the gate right before the gases entered the turbo.

Aren't most of the firepunk twin setups run with no waste gate. I know those guys make some power.

As far as psi is concern to my knowledge the wastegate tere to keep drive pressure down ideal a 1:1 but yes what psi do you guys have yours set at

I'm switching from a .90 to a 1.0 s300 with no gate. Thought about a 1.1 but they have the longer outlet

Yeah I always liked it having no gate but even with a 5x18 injector and steed speed I cant get it past 45 psi but I will definetely wastegate it now if I run into any issues. I am looking now for a 35psi spring for a turbosmart.

I'm switching from a .90 to a 1.0 s300 with no gate. Thought about a 1.1 but they have the longer outlet

At what power level/RPM did the .90 run out of flow? You running a 68 or 73 turbine wheel?

I'm getting more interested in running a 63/73/.9 or 1.0 as my secondary. I really have no interest in screwing with an Egate.

Last edited:
66-73/s482 @ 900hp. Just trying to balance boost vs drive without messing with gates either

RHP so did you leave yours without a wastegate and hows the spool up on that 66 must be insane

66-73/s482 @ 900hp. Just trying to balance boost vs drive without messing with gates either

Do you have secondary and primary boost numbers? What is drive? I'd like to go 73 turbine but want to stay with a smaller comp wheel like a 63 or 64. Whats the lowest RPM you can have 40psi? Of course the Ppump makes it a little different animal but it will help give me an idea.

Do you have secondary and primary boost numbers? What is drive? I'd like to go 73 turbine but want to stay with a smaller comp wheel like a 63 or 64. Whats the lowest RPM you can have 40psi? Of course the Ppump makes it a little different animal but it will help give me an idea.

you might as well stuff the biggest compressor you can with that turbine. it won't hurt spool up anymore than the turbine does imo.

I've heard that from a few places so I'm tempted to go that way. I just really don't wanna give up much spool. Its a tough compromise between no gate and spool.

agreed. what I have driven of mine with the tight hot side on the secondary seems nice. the new tighter converter should help as well.

RHP so did you leave yours without a wastegate and hows the spool up on that 66 must be insane

Spool up is not bad, with a higher stall. Right now it has a gate on the manifold but I'm leaning towards a 1.0 on the secondary and blocking the wastegate off

I have a tight Converter hopefully that will help spool up with no gate but I am running .91 twin scroll on my 66 when I had it spool up was still a bit slow. Right now I am just trying to figure out how to get the tranny cooler installed

I've ran compounds with no wastegate but it was a s363 gated with 68mm turbine and a s480 on a 24v monster pump setup made lots of power and 105psi I had 2 inline blowoff valves 3/4" set at 50psi and never would keep a head gasket on it! I'm think a gated 80psi setup is plenty for stock flowing head!

Blow off valves should NEVER be in a twin set. PERIOD. They just make the problems worse. They open the compressors to the atmosphere and allow them to immediately over speed. Think about it, your compressor is RESTRICTED and is creating 90psi, then a valve opens that can dump it to 50psi...but the turbine side still has the drive pressure to create 90PSI. The energy has to go somewhere, so the compressor speed goes through the roof.

I didn't have drive pressure info on it I know it was way off I never had the time to try to tune it in I was fighting the head gasket all the time... I'd say 80-90 is way enough to support most of any street truck

Boost is a terrible way to "support" power. You don't want boost, you want AIRFLOW. Boost, again, is a RESTRICTION. It's a necessary restriction in a diesel as you want boost, but you don't need crazy boost numbers to support "X" horsepower.

Aren't most of the firepunk twin setups run with no waste gate. I know those guys make some power.

Properly designed systems (The complete package...head, cam, turbo, fuel) don't need gates.

Gates are nice. They let you get around certain issues like lag by running a smaller housing, then bypassing enough gas to not over speed the compressors and heat the air. Again, are they mandatory, no, but do they have their purpose, absolutely.

You don't need boost. You need air. There are plenty of people making stupid power numbers off of sub 60psi boost numbers. Personally, my best was 630ish horsepower at 38PSI. No wastegate, but it was a VGT. Headwork and cam, on a 98 12v.

The lower your drive pressure/boost ratio, the lower your pumping losses. If you can clean the smoke up at 38psi with a wastegate, pushing the wastegate closed and driving the charger to 60psi does nothing.

IMHO,
Chris;)

Blow off valves should NEVER be in a twin set. PERIOD. They just make the problems worse. They open the compressors to the atmosphere and allow them to immediately over speed. Think about it, your compressor is RESTRICTED and is creating 90psi, then a valve opens that can dump it to 50psi...but the turbine side still has the drive pressure to create 90PSI. The energy has to go somewhere, so the compressor speed goes through the roof.

Boost is a terrible way to "support" power. You don't want boost, you want AIRFLOW. Boost, again, is a RESTRICTION. It's a necessary restriction in a diesel as you want boost, but you don't need crazy boost numbers to support "X" horsepower.

Properly designed systems (The complete package...head, cam, turbo, fuel) don't need gates.

Gates are nice. They let you get around certain issues like lag by running a smaller housing, then bypassing enough gas to not over speed the compressors and heat the air. Again, are they mandatory, no, but do they have their purpose, absolutely.

You don't need boost. You need air. There are plenty of people making stupid power numbers off of sub 60psi boost numbers. Personally, my best was 630ish horsepower at 38PSI. No wastegate, but it was a VGT. Headwork and cam, on a 98 12v.

The lower your drive pressure/boost ratio, the lower your pumping losses. If you can clean the smoke up at 38psi with a wastegate, pushing the wastegate closed and driving the charger to 60psi does nothing.

IMHO,
Chris;)

Isn't that technically true on a single too? Wouldn't some overspeed be ok if it's spinning a little more "freely" with less strain on the shaft/compressor wheel?