SDX and the local community

Police

I agree that Neil's post was well said. What I'd like to know is how did Indy and the western suburbs get the police, sheriff's department, state troopers etc. needed to control that event but Terre Haute comes up short. The Indy event clamped down on the BS. Why can't Terre Haute do the same? Do they not want the revenue that the event brings into town. What IS the difference here?

The MotoGP race was going on at the same time in Indianapolis, the police force around Indy was crazy, I'm guessing that is why there weren't too many extras to fill in. People from all over the world were there, and downtown Indy shutdown sat. night, motorcycles only, one big ass party.

I stopped in TH on the way to Indy on Friday afternoon to stretch and fuel up, I saw 5 trucks in a 10 minute period smoking up the roads right next the the construction and Interstate. To be honest I was glad to be going to the MotoGP this year and not be associated with the diesels blacking out the streets. I hope the actual event was a success and I want to attend next year...if all is well.

My observations were one guy in the Holiday Inn that did a stupid burnout where you go this is a bad idea. Quite a few loud trucks that just loved to take off hard from a light even when it was late but no drag racing. A few people riding in the back of trucks that made me nervous on the main drag. A lot of kids having fun and getting a little crazy but good kids not bad kids. A lot of kids really just hanging out together and drinking but with good not bad attitudes. Not all good but sure as heck not all bad.

Gee here when you have the big kids and cars event of the year which is Cinco De Mayo the concerns are gangsters and guns not kids with loud smoky trucks.

I agree 100% Tom there were a lot of loud smoky trucks but no where close to what it was like at TS. The worst thing I saw was the burn out in the Holiday Inn parking lot that set off the fire alarm. There were a lot of people egging people on to do burnouts and blow smoke but even that was nothing like TS. I very much enjoyed this event and thought that it was set up well and the people did not ruin it like other events that I have been too.

Thanks for the positive comments about what I believe. I know you all care as much as I do about the industry/sport.

With the discussion here about the un-civic side of some particular groups of people attending SDX 2009...I must be very clear about something. By and far...and this is crutial...the event was outstanding in my opinion. It was not chaos and disrespect everywhere 24/7.

I absolutely do not want to give the wrong impression to some reading this that did not attend. Thats important.

There were large polite crowds going about their business and enjoying the show. There were great vendors answering questions to everyone and showing products. There were people laughing, talking, kicking tires and witnessing some real power. I saw people getting autographs from the UFC guy Matt Hughes. I saw little kids being pulled in "monster truck" wagons having the times of their lives. This was far and away the theme of the show. This is what it stands for. This is what we stand for.

Its cool to rev the engine a little and show off these unique "rides". But just like street rod clubs, people know these things are "bad" by just looking at them. And I feel old saying this...but the kids these days just don't get it yet. So just like in grade school...:rules: I know a stock truck can smoke tires. I'm sure the guy with the lopey idle can too. He doesnt need to do it next to a 6 year old girl and her mom.

(Makes me think...maybe there can get a "burnout" pad built somewhere. Get in line. Show it off. Do it on the paved roads elsewhere in the park...see ya next year. I'm sure there will be a crew of people camped out next to it all day to watch.)

Understand that my focused frustration comes about from a very small percentage of people. The 1 percenters if you will. (now I feel like I'm the AMA talking about the Hollister, CA bike riots in 1947).

I suppose that being someone who is extremely pleased that I can drive to a show like this a few miles from my home makes me very defensive about anything that gives me the impression of "trouble". I'm very critical because I have seen good things get ruined by this type of behavior. We all have. I just tend to focus on it more and more knowing what can happen.

And again I've heard nothing negative about the show from anyone or any newspaper. I'm not implying anything is about to happen bad. Just a fear. I don't have a clue about that. But I don't need to. I saw what I saw.

The show was just a great day for me. My favorite thing of all is looking at other daily drivers. I get to see all the stuff I'd like to buy for my truck already installed. Not an online picture. Lifts, tires, turbos, bumpers etc. Stuff I don't have. I figure if the 1% folks don't give a "damn" what I think...then I don't give a "damn" about them hittin the pavement. :) Go home and play Wii.

Niel how would you say this years "after hour" activities were compared to previous years, i have been there for the last 5 years and this seemed to be one of the calmer ones i have been to.

Setting off fire alarms with burnout smoke is an issue in my opinion. And what if a fire truck gets in a wreck enroute to check the alarm. What happens then? I say this because I did that for 14 years. To someone...thats a big deal. But I understand your viewpoint likewise. It wasn't violence or guns.

The more I think about this...its just very complex. Nothing can control everything inside and outside the fairgrounds. Inside can be controlled mostly with hard rules. Outside will require the mindsets of people to be altered by the rules they had to abide by in the fairgrounds. (hopefully and with luck). The remainder will require some traffic tickets and arrests I guess if people disturb the peace to that extent. Police will do some work..as can be seen now. We'll just set the pace that its not acceptable and might hurt the event. Thats really all that can be done in reality.

Setting off fire alarms with burnout smoke is an issue in my opinion. And what if a fire truck gets in a wreck enroute to check the alarm. What happens then? I say this because I did that for 14 years. To someone...thats a big deal. But I understand your viewpoint likewise. It wasn't violence or guns.

The more I think about this...its just very complex. Nothing can control everything inside and outside the fairgrounds. Inside can be controlled mostly with hard rules. Outside will require the mindsets of people to be altered by the rules they had to abide by in the fairgrounds. (hopefully and with luck). The remainder will require some traffic tickets and arrests I guess if people disturb the peace to that extent. Police will do some work..as can be seen now. We'll just set the pace that its not acceptable and might hurt the event. Thats really all that can be done in reality.

The fire dept did not respond even though I anticipated it. I talked about this exact issue with the desk clerk too. Her reply was it was expected and over all the hotel was happy as they were full and there were no real issues. I do agree that one burnout was a bad idea though and sure as hell not something I would have ever done.

I guarantee they got an automated dialer alarm and tones were rang at Station 9. They must have been disregarded enroute by the alarm company via the hotel lobby calling a false alarm. Those alarms sound and phones start ringing at 911 before the hotel knows whats going on.

Like I said earlier...I could be wrong on several points. I probably am. I did say that businesses seemed to be booming. I know they like that. If they could care less about the burnouts...hey...great! But I've not talked to any of them nor will I. I made some assumptions. I bet safe.

DarrenKruger... streetwise its all basically the same to me. I see what I see when I'm where I'm at. I didn't hang out past midnight and didn't observe it all. I drove home like I always do. But I never recall racing on the oval track after the pulls. OFF LIMITS!!!

Inside the gates daytime seemed slightly worse or same. Maybe its just getting more attendees. I saw cops pulling people over inside for speed and burnouts. I've not seen that before inside. And I saw several smokeouts and burnouts with pedestrians right next to truck tires. And they were not watching. They were just walking. Thats just plain unacceptable and unsafe. I know I'm a prude...but god have mercy if someone gets hurt bad or ran over.

No matter what I think and how it compares to previous years is unfortunately irrelavent to right and wrong. And I don't mean that toward the question posed. Its a good point Darren.

But if you mean the behavior is getting better in increments each year...sure...I'll be happy with that. Thats good. I just hope it gets there before some people decide enough is enough.

Like i said...its complex.

I used to attend events at Talladega back when it was like taking a trip to Soddom and Gommorah. It was downright scary what I saw there......

Slowly but surely, the organizers(at Dega) have gotten the tom-foolery down to an acceptable level. It has taken lots of time and tweaking, but it is MUCH better than it was 10 years ago. Compared to 08, SDX 09 was much tamer in my opinion. I talked with Dan bout several issues that came up, and I know that he will take measures to insure that some of this crap does not happen again. I think it is heading in the right direction. Keep in mind, that nobody really expected to see events like TS and SDX get as big as they are and there are more growing pains than most know about, or that I care to comment about. I applaud th entire Scheid crew, the Vigo County Sherrif's dept. and the Fair Board for making great strides this year.

Great point. I know I have overstated my case. I've said way more than I ever intended and can't say much more now. I thought this would just end up on page 2 or 3 pretty quick.

I just want everyone to come back next year. So the entire community will adopt the idea in total for all it has to offer. The more the better. I remember the first year. I had no trouble parking and could leave and park back in the same spot after I went and got lunch. Ha!!

Sounds like someone needs to organize an event here in Vegas. Vegas is all about the party and has plenty of law enforcement to take care of the problem. This city loves big events that bring in outside money. I don't think the law enforcement minds writing tickets here either, it's just another form of outside revenue.

The track is far enough from the Strip that the rowdy trucks can have at it on the back country roads and large parking lots/camping areas. After driving for 30 minutes to get back to the hotel, most folks have rowdy'd on down.

Some day we'll get a big diesel event here.

The MotoGP race was going on at the same time in Indianapolis, the police force around Indy was crazy, I'm guessing that is why there weren't too many extras to fill in. People from all over the world were there, and downtown Indy shutdown sat. night, motorcycles only, one big ass party.

I stopped in TH on the way to Indy on Friday afternoon to stretch and fuel up, I saw 5 trucks in a 10 minute period smoking up the roads right next the the construction and Interstate. To be honest I was glad to be going to the MotoGP this year and not be associated with the diesels blacking out the streets. I hope the actual event was a success and I want to attend next year...if all is well.

I did both the GP and SDX on Saturday, and went to GP on Sunday...I didn't think there were too many cops around the track, at least no more than usual. I'd bet the ISP that was in Indy operate out of a different branch than the one in Terre Haute.

They do. Terre Haute is the hub of one of the zones. Indy Operates out of the same place as Indy Metro.

I did notice that the Police were pulling people over Thursday night for blowing smoke. So they were makeing a point that night!!!

But did anyone else see the pulling truck get impounded? Dont know who it was, but they thought it was a good idea to blow smoke and do a small burn out before going into the track to pull.....Police were sitting right there, took the guy out, and then called the Wrecker!

A few years ago...the Marion County (Indianapolis) and the Indianapolis City Police Department jointed forces to form the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. I think perhaps the Town of Speedway and some other departments may be in this too. Its one unit. New uniforms, new cars, new look. They still have a Sheriff to oversee it all...who is also assisted by a Chief of Police from Indianapolis.

The Indiana State Police is not part of this. They are a statewide entity and not tied to the City of Indianapolis. They are headquartered near the City on E. 21st Street...west of Post Road exit on I-70. They have a large complex and training center there. I've been there. It is called District 52 and is the headquarters in general. Terre Haute is a post. One of 16 other small posts outside the headquarters. There are several counties of coverage by each post. If you see a State Trooper in Parke, Vermillion, Vigo, Sullivan or Clay Counties...they report to work each morning at Terre Haute Post 32. (PS: the numbers don't mean much...its historical really. Post 52 doesn't mean there are 1 thru 51 as well.)

Generally...the towns that these posts are located in may not be the biggest in the area. Historically...these posts were positioned more through politics than "best" location. Additionally the State Police has a Commercial Carrier Division (for OTR truck enforcement), Investigation Division, Capitol Police Unit (for the State Capitol building complex) and Communications division.

If you see a State Trooper in or around Indianapolis...they operate out of the District 52 Post-Headquarters. But they do work closely with Indianapolis. But each has a primary responsibility thats different from one another. Rest assured however they ALL can take you to jail if your a criminal anywhere in Indiana.

(Makes me think...maybe there can get a "burnout" pad built somewhere. Get in line. Show it off. Do it on the paved roads elsewhere in the park...see ya next year. I'm sure there will be a crew of people camped out next to it all day to watch.)

I have said something like this would help for sometime now. You aren't gonna convince guys to wait until the Third day of an event to boil the tires. "Go thru this line to exit like Normal, this line to burn your tire off in front of an adoring crowd."

OK, we never have this kind of crap at local fairs, even big ones.

Like for example, this weekend we're going to the fair in Canfield, OH (near Youngstown). Stand capacity is ~10k and if the weather stays as predicted, I say it will be packed to the hilt. It is a GREAT place.

And again you will see zero of this bullshyt.

Why?

No "party" mentality and no alcohol. It's that simple.

You get what you promote and tolerate. You promote party mentality and you promote alcohol, and the azzholes will come out in droves.

This is why I'm plenty happy sticking to the fairs, and I have almost no inclination to go to the "big" events (whatever that means) because the "big" events are idiot magnets, pure and simple.

Just because big numbers of trucks show up does not necessarily make it a quality event.

The Scheid Diesel Extravaganza isn't a fair. No alchohol was promoted. Parties were not promoted. Large numbers of trucks DID show up. And this was a quality event.

http://www.scheiddiesel.com/user_pages/dieselextavaganza2009_0.shtml?page=Extravaganza%202009

See that link. There was no promotion of anything except diesel trucks and competition.

The only thing mentioned that might even relate to alcohol is "no glass bottles allowed". Thats a policy of property management. Every promoter who rents the space must advertise and abide by that rule.

No wet t-shirt contests, no bikini contests, no mud wrestling and not one banner or bill board anywhere advertising Bud or Miller.

Any issues were absolutely created by the minds of the individuals involved.

Last edited:
OK, we never have this kind of crap at local fairs, even big ones.

Like for example, this weekend we're going to the fair in Canfield, OH (near Youngstown). Stand capacity is ~10k and if the weather stays as predicted, I say it will be packed to the hilt. It is a GREAT place.

And again you will see zero of this bullshyt.

Why?

No "party" mentality and no alcohol. It's that simple.

You get what you promote and tolerate. You promote party mentality and you promote alcohol, and the azzholes will come out in droves.

This is why I'm plenty happy sticking to the fairs, and I have almost no inclination to go to the "big" events (whatever that means) because the "big" events are idiot magnets, pure and simple.

Just because big numbers of trucks show up does not necessarily make it a quality event.

My thoughts exactly.

I would say most of the "bad advertising" is by word of mouth. People come to these places with the intent of drinking & partying the whole time, & not even there for the actual sled pulling, etc.

I can't believe the mentality of some. All of the beer cans & trash left behind in the stands & simply no respect for other's property.

I don't have all the solutions, but I will say if the alchol was banned, maybe the troublemakers wouldn't bother coming to the event.

Kudos to the event holders & planners. The sled pulling, show & shine, dyno, etc. made this a great event. My $.02

I'm not 100% sure an alcohol ban is going to solve the problems we're talking about. I've been to fairs and events where no alcohol is allowed inside and there were probably more people plowed than some events that allow it.
A lot of the problems we're discussing have to do with what happened on the streets and highways, so I wonder how much of a difference an event alcohol ban would have.