Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

Why does duration have such a huge effect on MPG? I changed nothing but duration and gained 5mpg!

5? on the overhead guesstimator, or hand calc? you gained 5 to be at what now? 20, 25 mpg??

I'm with rlawless. Did you reduce or increase? What area did you make the change? In the cruising area's or across the board. How about some sample files of before and after the changes?

It was across the board But with it came alot of smoke on take off and excel! Didn't notice till it was light out! I'm up to 21mpg now but will have have to drop the Duration from 2000rpm down and see what it does. I'll post a sample after the next change not so happy with it being smokey! Oh and it was the overhead that changed dramatically!

overhead, you should be banned for even mentioning that thing. it has no idea whats going through the motor. burn at least half a tank and fill up and HAND CALCULATE

I take it you increased duration?

2005 - HE351/A5K - ARP - Arson lll - 70HP Nozzles

overhead, you should be banned for even mentioning that thing. it has no idea whats going through the motor. burn at least half a tank and fill up and HAND CALCULATE

Yeah I knew that was coming! LOL duration totally screws that thing up! I was just happy to see the numbers finally go up My bad! Here's my latest tune:
Ok Gonna take a minute to figure this windows 8 out!

You need to top off your tank, drive a few hundred miles and let us know what your true hand calculated miles are. Thanks for the sample files. I have to look at them tomorrow..

its all good, I still look at mine on a down hill session and hit reset.......

LOL Yeah I love that!
Here's the sample file sorry!

So what tune was you running to compared the above Sample to? Did you raise the duration across the board or lower it to gain your mileage? It's hard to compare without knowing the comparison tune.. Not trying to be an A$$, just trying to get the whole picture..

Thanks

How does the $75 Vin Dongle receive the Vin number from the customer?

I'm assuming that it reads it from the stock tune that you download and save as a sample file then email to your tuner.

So what tune was you running to compared the above Sample to? Did you raise the duration across the board or lower it to gain your mileage? It's hard to compare without knowing the comparison tune.. Not trying to be an A$$, just trying to get the whole picture..

Thanks

No worries! I raised the duration but it made it smokey on the lower end so I dropped the duration below 2000rpm. This seemed to make it run much cleaner went for a 80 mile drive this morning and got 18mpg so not sure what changed! Small changes seem to make big changes! I'm happy with how it runs but when towing a trailer in the 28 load range 2000rpm I was getting 3mpg so that sucked but I guess when it needs more fuel to tow it's going to drop like a rock or is there something I'm missing on Timing adjustment?

How does the $75 Vin Dongle receive the Vin number from the customer?

I'm assuming that it reads it from the stock tune that you download and save as a sample file then email to your tuner.

Yes, you are correct... If the vin dongle is in the USB port of tuners cpu it will ask if you want to use the vin license for the stock sample file from the customer when opened.

2005 - HE351/A5K - ARP - Arson lll - 70HP Nozzles

I'm happy with how it runs but when towing a trailer in the 28 load range 2000rpm I was getting 3mpg so that sucked but I guess when it needs more fuel to tow it's going to drop like a rock or is there something I'm missing on Timing adjustment?

3 mpg? You need to turn off the MPG display and forget it was ever there. (If that was hand calculated there is something seriously wrong)

Last edited:
Back