Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

Took a trip to fleece last week got 23mpg with udc. 4x4 qclb dually. Im happy with resulte so far.

Here's a little insight for those just starting!........
Little changes make big differences! That said it's easy to change a whole bunch of stuff fast but don't! I've been battling max MPG and just a few degrees in one area will make a big difference! It may only take one minute to change a graph and you may feel the urge to change other stuff but you need to keep it in small groups to get the best results! I found it helpful to write down areas of rattle, smoke, sluggishness or bad MPG.
That is Load and RPM and what it's doing. I hope this helps! Once you get close you'll know it! UDC is awesome that's all I can say!! A dyno for that last bit of tuning will be helpful to verify what you've done is working correctly and your not over on the upper timing!

Would also like to see a sample to compare of outlaw99?
Making changes similar to dangerous06 with timing range in load area 20-55 now and will then start trying the 10-20 range. Truck feels strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Can you tune the SSR/UDC pass 3600RPMs? Like up to 4500RPMs?

Last edited:
The SSR charts stop at 3600RPM

Do you need to run a canned TNT R file with the S06 to see 4200rpm? Or can it still be done with UDC somehow? I just did cam, pushrods, springs, & etc... I want the extra rpms so I can not have to grab 5th gear by the end of the quarter...

Do you need to run a canned TNT R file with the S06 to see 4200rpm? Or can it still be done with UDC somehow? I just did cam, pushrods, springs, & etc... I want the extra rpms so I can not have to grab 5th gear by the end of the quarter...

I don't believe so but can't say for sure. You should be able to unlock the high RPM using the S06/UDC. All the guys I've tuned for so far have had an SSR which has the function. I'll be working on some tunes for a guy with an S06 this weekend that is wanting the high RPM function as well. I don't think it is a direct option through the UDC but on the Smarty device itself, like it is on the SSR. There's not a map or table that allows us to set the RPM limiter on the computer software side. It is in the actual Smarty device.

If it is an option with the TNT S06 it should be one with UDC. I haven't loaded up a TNT tune yet to see what options are there, but if the base tune in the S06 is TNT then than option should exist.

When u load a UDC program onto the truck you will be prompted for several questions. One of the questio is RPM limit if your device supports it. RPM limit is not set in UDC

After many hrs of screwing around with timing to try to get rid of smoke around 1200-1500 RPM at engine load range of 25-50% I finally found what was causing it. Torque management is what is causing my smoke. I copied/imported my stock tq table in and smoke is gone.. Now I can probably bring my timing back up in many area's but now my issue is torque management and how it effects engine load.
If I use a gradual ramp up to about 65% I get smoke and my engine load will not go above 65% at WOT on my UG. I leave the first 3 cell alone so my throttle is not touchy. If I run stock tq management I can barely get my truck to smoke at all and the is trying to get it to smoke. Low RPM and punching it..

After many hrs of screwing around with timing to try to get rid of smoke around 1200-1500 RPM at engine load range of 25-50% I finally found what was causing it. Torque management is what is causing my smoke. I copied/imported my stock tq table in and smoke is gone.. Now I can probably bring my timing back up in many area's but now my issue is torque management and how it effects engine load.
If I use a gradual ramp up to about 65% I get smoke and my engine load will not go above 65% at WOT on my UG. I leave the first 3 cell alone so my throttle is not touchy. If I run stock tq management I can barely get my truck to smoke at all and the is trying to get it to smoke. Low RPM and punching it..

This is how I set mine up and have zero smoke with a very soft pedal until I want to lay into it.

This is the stock sample of torque:
UDCNov26Torque.png

This is Revo 9 sample of torque:
TorqueUDCDec112012.png

Mileage update.

I put 1,031 miles on my truck in the last 10 days and LOVE the way the truck runs. The lower/smoother rail pressure map is great and the truck really seems to like it as well. We drove from Boise to Seattle at 9,400 lbs with a heaping pile of crap in the bed, and then back again. Doing 3-4 over the limit (anywhere form 60-65-70-75) along the way got us 17.6 the first tank, and 16.0 the 2nd tank. The 1st tank had some gnarly winds, sometimes cross/tail and a slight bit of head. But it was cold, and my previous best on that route was 17.9 on a warm day, AT tires, and 1,500lb less GVW. So nothing to complain about there. The 2nd tank involved crossing Snoqualmie pass twice, 4wd both times and the 2nd time was a LOT of 4wd and slow driving, as well as the several steep ridges between Eburg and Yakima. The pile of stuff in the bed was also a few inches higher on the return trip, and the ambient temp was a little colder and pouring rain the first 50 miles of the return trip. I filled up today for the return trip, 19.4!! What a shocker! The OH was at 20.6 so I should have been about 17. Silly overhead, it's been ±20% off for 4 tanks and just dropped to 6%. The trip average was 17.69, which for winter, full bed, winter tires, weight, cold air, 4wd, rain, snow, ice is pretty darn good if you ask me. I haven't ever done this trip in the winter but I only got a little better round trip in the summer previously, so I expect summer to be even better.

The torque management is only at lower rpms, the upper rpm is part of the tune we cannot edit.

I haven't tested the S06 yet, but UDC on the Jr was giving me 100% load at 83-84% throttle so I set the PoD at 85 and still get 100% load thru redline and the dyno proved it was full fuel, with a MUCH softer pedal.

John are sayin your throttle position is at 85% or your tq management set up to 85%? I thought even if you had torque management set to a stock table you would still feel power just not a touchy peddle. Are you still maxing out the mid 60% on your tq setting?

The SSR charts stop at 3600RPM

OK thanks.

I don't believe so but can't say for sure. You should be able to unlock the high RPM using the S06/UDC. All the guys I've tuned for so far have had an SSR which has the function. I'll be working on some tunes for a guy with an S06 this weekend that is wanting the high RPM function as well. I don't think it is a direct option through the UDC but on the Smarty device itself, like it is on the SSR. There's not a map or table that allows us to set the RPM limiter on the computer software side. It is in the actual Smarty device.

I understand the high RPMs are set in the Smarty SSR but how do you know what going on above the 3600RPM table with UDC? Is it just preset in the tune or do the tables just keep increasing automatically?

When u load a UDC program onto the truck you will be prompted for several questions. One of the questio is RPM limit if your device supports it. RPM limit is not set in UDC

So does it start to defuel 200RPMs before the set RPM limit?

Back