Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

Duration-1.jpg

Ok, so if I calculate target duration and peak timing at 100% load, I'm using commanded rail pressure for 100% load and figuring target duration based on where that rail pressure falls on the duration table. However it doesn't work to use a percentage of target duration for lower loads because not only will the desired fuel volume decrease, but the rail pressure will be lower, so duration will need to increase for same fuel volume.

So to populate lower loads, do I take peak duration, multiply by percent of load, and then divide by the difference in rail pressure at a lower load?

So as a rough example, if target duration is 2005us at 23206psi for 100% load at X RPMs, and commanded rail pressure is 15000 at 50% load same RPMs, I take 2005us times .5 equals 1002.5 divided by .6464 (15000 divided by 23206) and get duration of 1551 for 50% load where rail is 15K and RPMs are the same.

Am I on the right track?

It's not that liner of a calculation.

In the calculator I posted there are hidden calculations that extrapolate the duration at a specific load/pressure just like the ECM will.

Using the calculator if you want to know the specific duration, make sure the pressure/duration tables are accurate and put the calculator to 100 for the cell you want to know. That is the total degrees the injector is open, using the deg/sec for each rpm you can then determine how many us the injector is open.

I'd use the calculator if I could open it, I'm still on Office XP and for some reason the compatibility pack isn't making any difference. That doesn't change the fact that I'd like to understand the theories and presumptions behind what I'm doing to my truck.

You said your calculations will extrapolate the duration at a specific load/pressure just like the ECM will. My question is, how do you know that or how did you confirm your calculations?

The ECM makes linear blending calculations between cells, which can be done in excell as well. It's the bases all timing calculators work off of, EFI or UDC. Without data logging we cannot confirm it, but it has been confirmed on other platforms.

The duration table is nothing more than a calibration, or conversion, table. It's where the ECM takes desired volume and turns it into time, since the ECM cannot measure volume but it can measure time.

If you look at the labels I put on you can see that there are lots of calibration points in the low load region, and fewer as load increases. This is because at low loads the ECM needs more accurate data to keep the motor smooth, surge free, and stable at a constant load. As you increase load you can decrease the calibration points and rely more on blending because the increase load smooths out the operation... but that is also why an improperly tuned duration table can mess with the way a truck runs.

In very simple terms (as there are many limiting and adjusting tables we don't see in UDC) when the ECM does it's calculation for fuel it looks at TPS, then rpm. Using those two inputs it determines how much fuel needs to be injected (we can't see those tables in UDC). Now that it knows how much fuel it goes to the pressure table to see the commanded pressure for that fuel amount and rpm, then using the commanded pressure and desired fuel the ECM then looks to the duration table to determine how long to open the injector, and lastly it looks to timing as to when to start the injection event.

So as an example, lets say we are towing a trailer up a grade. The TPS (or cruise) is saying we need more fuel and the ECM decides to run 79% load, rpms are fixed at 2200. So from there the ECM say's okay at 79% load (110mm3 is what the ECM uses) and 2200 rpms the pressure table says 16682 psi (115 MPa is the unit the ECM actually uses). So now the ECM knows we want 110mm3 at 115 MPa, so we go to the duration table. There aren't row's/columns for 110mm3 and 115 MPa so we extrapolate like the ECM will. The 4 cells we need to blend (OEM duration table) are 1740 2102 in the 68.9% load row and 3300/3400 columns, and 1654 2001 in the 75.1% load row and 3300/3400 columns (based on MADS labels, see the above photo for other labels). It doesn't matter which way you blend first, but the desired value is halfway between all 4 vales. So I'll blend the row's first. (1740+2102)/2 = 1921, which is the value for 110mm3 at 110MPa. Then (1654+2001)/2 = 1827.5, which is the value for 110mm3 at 120MPa. TO find 110mm3 at 115 MPa we take (1827.5+1921)/2 = 1874.25, I rounded to 1874. So the commanded injector open time for this equation is 1874us.

This is also how we add fuel with the duration table, by telling the ECM it takes longer than it actually does to get the desired fuel. It's also why the lie-o-meter gets worse with duration table modifications.

Does that help?

I expect the basic version to stay where it's at, and hopefully the professional version will add a bunch of tables.

great info! i have an 03 so i have to stick with smarty and was interested in this! Thanks ah46! Subscribed!

John do have any thoughts on timing & rail pressure in the 2000-2600 rpm range above 50% load. How aggressive have you been in this area? I figured its about time for another lesson..

I run the same relative timing at 2000 as I do at upper rpms, but I rarely run upper rpms.

Personally I peak my rail pressure at 2200 (at 100% load), but depending on who/what I am tuning for I will vary that up or down.

Sorry for this post if its a repeat of past times!!

I searched but did not find the answer to this..

When program loaded with UDC my truck goes into high idle.

Does the idle go back down to normal after stopping and putting the truck in park or do I just turn it off on high idle?

I let it idle about 2 minutes and it never went back to normal.

Thanks for all y'all's input.

Jimmy

While my truck is parked and idling, and it's cold enough to initiate the high idle feature, it keeps idling high until operating temp is satisfied or I step on the brake pedal.

Sorry for this post if its a repeat of past times!!

I searched but did not find the answer to this..

When program loaded with UDC my truck goes into high idle.

Does the idle go back down to normal after stopping and putting the truck in park or do I just turn it off on high idle?

I let it idle about 2 minutes and it never went back to normal.

Thanks for all y'all's input.

Jimmy

How cold is it where you are?

How cold is it where you are?

It was 80 degrees, we are in Arizona for winter. Never had a high idle like this until I installed the UDC tune with the SSR. I found driving around that day it is not consistent. It isn't always on, only on when it feels like it.

While my truck is parked and idling, and it's cold enough to initiate the high idle feature, it keeps idling high until operating temp is satisfied or I step on the brake pedal.

Brake pedal won't release it, revving it up won't release it, nothing seems to release it, just don't get it.

High Idle feature on the early trucks is controlled by the IAT sensor and outside ambient air temp sensor.If you didn't have it before then you never had a updated tuner on it or had Ma Mopar update your ECM.

On most trucks when you place the truck in gear and/or step on the brake the high idle feature will disengage.It will however restart when you put the truck in park if the ECM feels the truck is not at proper operating temp.

It was 80 degrees, we are in Arizona for winter. Never had a high idle like this until I installed the UDC tune with the SSR. I found driving around that day it is not consistent. It isn't always on, only on when it feels like it.

I would return the truck to stock and see if it still does it.

Unless you have a few sensors out to lunch it shouldn't be cycling on, and I don't think it's cold weather fast idle as you cannot kill it with the brake.

Back