Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

Between a slightly revised cruise region and the spin free hubs I am down about 3-5% load at 70 mph. That is about the lowest my EGT's have been (steady cruise at 69-70) since the turbo/manifold blanket install. Both the blankets and turbo increased my cruise EGT's over the stock turbo (but boost is 1/3 or lower).

This pic is 69 mph, 2100 rpms, 63° outside with no wind on a flat to minimal incline.

Rail pressure was a hair above 16K, and load was about 14-14.5% average.

photo.jpg

Wow that's pretty cool. Does it stay around that? I drive mostly 75mph and my egts are that low downhill... Flat around 750-800 hills hits 900-950.

I'm not sure what my load is due to no way of watching it. Thats pretty impressive for egts though.

My flat land, rpm 1900 = 70mph, load is 19-21%, EGT's are just above 500* (525* maybe), boost = 10 -11 lbs. (wish to get it lower) 19.7 mpg. 185 mile trip..

Posted Using a NEXUS 7 - 2005 - HE351/A5K - ARP - Arson lll - 70HP Nozzles - Smarty UDC Custom Tuned

I'm not sure what my load is due to no way of watching it. Thats pretty impressive for egts though.

I did a bunch of driving yesterday, and my cruise region is much more dialed in now. I only made adjustments in the 0.2°-0.5° range but they worked.

My flat land, rpm 1900 = 70mph, load is 19-21%, EGT's are just above 500* (525* maybe), boost = 10 -11 lbs. (wish to get it lower) 19.7 mpg. 185 mile trip..

Posted Using a NEXUS 7 - 2005 - HE351/A5K - ARP - Arson lll - 70HP Nozzles - Smarty UDC Custom Tuned

Yeah, well that HE351 is certainly good at that :)

I did a bunch of driving yesterday, and my cruise region is much more dialed in now. I only made adjustments in the 0.2°-0.5° range but they worked.

Yeah, well that HE351 is certainly good at that :)

I know huh, just wish the exhaust housing was a 12cm..

Almost have my truck back running to continue fine tuning UDC...

Added, Arson3, studs, TC rail and PRV, BB injectors

UDC question? I was getting good results with UDC with the previous setup I had. How much of a difference is the injectors going to make on my UDC settings? Will I need to make many changes to have similar results now that injectors are a little bigger? Or will it be just capable of more and should run same or better from having New injectors with same program.
Stock - 61.8l/h @ a pressure of 100bar
Stage-1 -76.2l/h/100bar 24% increase..

I would run it and see. Rail pressure and EGT's will tell you if you need to back off or add fuel to your liking.

You may have to play with cruise pressure and timing if you develop rattle from the additional fuel.

Well got my truck back yesterday and my injector having don't issues but with over 150,000 on them that's to be expected I guess. Anyway before the injectors fixed and upgraded I could not get my truck hot above 1250egt. Now I have no problem with power or generating heat. I get to start over now :(.. But s atleast I know what my issue was. One quick question for Randy and John. Are you guys dropping duration down a little in the pre spool area? Meaning below stock levels?

With the rare exception of tuning for heavy towing with large injectors I am not messing with anything but upper duration.

I did a little driving at 73 mph today. EGT's were 625°-675° and boost was 4. RPMS were 2194-2202 according to my UG. I was trying to hold 2200 rpms for ease of calculations.

So using some correlation between rail pressure and commanded mm3 I think I was burning about 28-30 mm3 on the flats per main injection. The pilot uses 4.4-4.5 mm3 at that rpm/rate. Anyways using some more math that comes back to ±21 mpg at 73 in no wind. I am not sure how long it would hold over 20, but that was a pretty constant rail pressure (what all my math was based on) for 5 or so miles.

Rail pressure was ±16,400 and my timing for that value is 8.5°. I was able to bring timing back up with lower rail pressure, with OEM rail pressure I could only run about 6° before it rattled.

There is no need to change duration from stock below 3000 rpm.

Edit: Sorry, guess I was on the wrong page.. John answered the duration questions..

Last edited:
Hey Randy thanks for the help! dipping the valley really helped! Returning duration to stock also helped with the smoke issue! I'm hoping to bring back my milelage somehow but 18 isn't bad!

I have a specific rattle at 19% load at 2000 rpm Before and after is fine! I'm assuming timing needs to be dropped a little in that area! I'll post my latest sample tonight I'm liking it!

I have a specific rattle at 19% load at 2000 rpm Before and after is fine! I'm assuming timing needs to be dropped a little in that area! I'll post my latest sample tonight I'm liking it!

Timing or pressure drop should help.. I would try pressure first..

Here's my latest tune what do you think of that valley!!

Attachments

• SSR UDC settings #31 4-14-2013_sample.zip
    8 KB · Views: 0
I have long been a single tune for how you generally use it type guy; however, I have decided to write a street tune to try out. It's nothing too aggressive, but a lot more fuel than my towing/DD tune ( I am guessing about all my turbo can handle). I am keeping the bottom end and cruise regions the same as they are working quite well, but the truck will have more giddy up.

I am mainly wanting to try a few tuning theories and idea's out to see how they pan out.

I am not sure when I will drive the truck again but I will report back.