Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

Drop your 2* down below 0* and keep going down until its clean.

FWIW, in my cruise area in around 5* main and my valley falls to -2*.

My setup is slightly different but it's another view for you guys.

Question about falling into the valley?? While cruising at 70 I stay around 18% load and 8.5 timing. But sometimes whan going up a hill it raises into the 30% load range and that's where the valley is timing there is about 2. So the truck smokes real bad "Dark Haze" How would you deal with this give a little more pedal to climb out or? This is a criuse on situation.

^^^^^^^Is this a dumb question? ^^^^^^^ OK I dropped the valley down lower and it cleaned up real nice. I also got rid of the hill in the 0 to 20% area from 2400rpm and up. Made the valley into the bottom of the hill. So above 2400rpm it drops down to -1.0 and climbs slightly up to 3500rpm from 0 to 18 load then climbs up quickly. Seems that area is never used anyway who does 3000rpm at 18% load?? If anybody can answer the above question please do!

^^^^^^^Is this a dumb question? ^^^^^^^ OK I dropped the valley down lower and it cleaned up real nice. I also got rid of the hill in the 0 to 20% area from 2400rpm and up. Made the valley into the bottom of the hill. So above 2400rpm it drops down to -1.0 and climbs slightly up to 3500rpm from 0 to 18 load then climbs up quickly. Seems that area is never used anyway who does 3000rpm at 18% load?? If anybody can answer the above question please do!

When you mash the skinney it will go into that area when not in gear. Gecovey drops it down low to pre spool in drag racing, maybe he will chime in..

Randy in that load low load area but mid RPM range(1800-2600 under 30% eng load) the 03's have quite a bit of timing there could that area cause smoke when you stuff it off the line or boost launching with an auto? I never really looked at my engine load while taking off.. Now I might ave to try something in...Hmm

Randy in that load low load area but mid RPM range(1800-2600 under 30% eng load) the 03's have quite a bit of timing there could that area cause smoke when you stuff it off the line or boost launching with an auto? I never really looked at my engine load while taking off.. Now I might ave to try something in...Hmm

No, that area 1800-2400 rpm (hump) is your cruise timing region.. When you jump on the pedal say from 1600-1800 rpm your basically shooting straight across horizontal 1600-2200 rpm into the 40% to 100% load region before the turbo can respond and that is your smoke.

A gradual constant acceleration from idle to 3500 rpm and 100% load would basically go from corner to corner on your maps, I think I posted a picture of this back in November on this thread.. With normal light to medium acceleration your constantly in the 25%-45% load area (depending on your physical weight or towing load) until you get off the throttle. So that would be your spool zone (The Valley) under 1600 to 1800 rpm depending on your turbo of course..

I know where the cruise hump but I would have to be cruising at 80 to be at 2400. Im at 1850 going 70 mph. My timing table looks similar yours but my spool valley is below 0 and goes too 3 degs at the 60% then climbs from there. I guess I'll have to try something else to get rid of the cloud of smoke at wot...

Are you able to maintain the pressure you are commanding at WOT? Is the smoke present on the entire WOT run, or just as you hit WOT?

You don't have to keep the cruise hump at it's set point, drop it down and tune it for your gears/tires.

Yes i can maintain pressure. Smoke is only present when I Stomp on it as soon as I start spooling I'm clean all the way through. If I'm lugging around at 1300-1400 rpm 18%-20% and then give half throttle I get a little haze. I just know by the amount of smoke down low at take off that is slowing me down my take off. My cruisng hump is tuned in for 1800-2000 31% and below. I have basically no timing at 1400 and below to try to eliminate smoke.

That is going to be hard to tune out with UDC, as we don't have access to the fuel boost limiter table and that the table that needs to be used to completely clean that up.

Hmmm. How does the fuel boost limiter work? Does it slow down the rate of fuel?

I sent you an email with attachments... I hope then went through this time..

It limits fuel based on boost, so if it is setup to your mods you can go WOT at idle and not blow any smoke. As boost increases so does fuel.

It would be a great table to add to the UDC tuning mix.

Yes i can maintain pressure. Smoke is only present when I Stomp on it as soon as I start spooling I'm clean all the way through. If I'm lugging around at 1300-1400 rpm 18%-20% and then give half throttle I get a little haze. I just know by the amount of smoke down low at take off that is slowing me down my take off. My cruisng hump is tuned in for 1800-2000 31% and below. I have basically no timing at 1400 and below to try to eliminate smoke.

That is the same thing i am struggling with. You have to be thinking when you leave a stop or it will almost kill the engine with so much fuel. If i bring the RPM up and leave at 900-1000 RPM it really keeps the smoke at a minimum.
So far Gecovey has really smothed out the tune. I guess as Smarty implements new features into the software we will slowly improve what we can expect.

That is the same thing i am struggling with. You have to be thinking when you leave a stop or it will almost kill the engine with so much fuel. If i bring the RPM up and leave at 900-1000 RPM it really keeps the smoke at a minimum.
So far Gecovey has really smothed out the tune. I guess as Smarty implements new features into the software we will slowly improve what we can expect.

I'm still looking into yours Tony. The thing about our trucks that will always remain the same is on a modded setup, if you punch it before the turbo has time to build boost, especially in the low RPMs, we will always get smoke. Just the nature of the beast. My job is to come as close to fully eliminating that as possible with the tuning. I'm working on your new tune today and will have it over to you shortly. :ft:

And on a side note, John, Randy, and I really have our fingers crossed to gain access to the boost fuel limiter table very soon. It will help immensely with stuff like this. As well as a copy and paste function or manual individual cell data entry at least.

Well since you gentlemen are all talking about RPM's what is the highest rpm you guys have tried to tune with because I have been working with Gacoby at Coffman customs and my truck will have no problem going to the stock rpm's even with the UDC tune on it. My question is what is keeping it from going to the full 5000 rpm that we require. Do you guys have any ideas or any input I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going to try and call Bob later this afternoon.

Well since you gentlemen are all talking about RPM's what is the highest rpm you guys have tried to tune with because I have been working with Gacoby at Coffman customs and my truck will have no problem going to the stock rpm's even with the UDC tune on it. My question is what is keeping it from going to the full 5000 rpm that we require. Do you guys have any ideas or any input I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going to try and call Bob later this afternoon.

To give you guys a little more information on Huhta's truck. The problem we are having is it will not free rev or drive up to the commanded RPM limits based on what he sets it to with his SSR, no matter the tune. And actually hasn't been consistent at all with the RPMs it does go too.

-We have tried it with it set completely back to stock. Free rev it will go to 3200RPM and driving it down the road it will go to 3200RPM.
-When he was running just the SSR it would sometimes go to 2500-2600RPM, sometimes 3200RPM, and occasionally 4-4200RPM.
-With one UDC tune written for his sled puller, it did the same sililar stuff. The first day it would not free rev or drive past 2500-2600RPM. Then another day it would do 3200. And once or twice it would free rev to 4000 I believe.
-I also sent him a UDC version of his stock tune and it did the same inconsistent RPM results.

Each of these tests I have had him set the RPM limiter on his SSR to STOCK, 4,000, and 5,000RPM and it is inconsistent everytime.

If anyone has any input on the subject I am open to ideas or things to test. I have received little to no help from Smarty so far. This is the first truck we have had experience this particular problem. And Smarty has told me they have not heard of any other trucks doing it either or ever had to address something like this.

I remember buried back in the original SSR threads on here guys were having weird/inconsistent high RPM troubles as well with all the different SSR software versions. Any input on the subject is welcome so we can get this figured out.