Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

John you have given us lessons on timing and some tips on duration so the question is when are you going to give a lesson on rail pressure? What are symptoms of to much rail pressure or to low rail pressure?

Too much can lead to rattle, and too little to higher EGT's.

Otherwise just increase pressure as rpms/load increase until you hit your desired maximum.

I didn't know if its worth it to drop it in the spool area. I think the 03's or my truck don't like high rail pressure in the 1200-1600 RPM at cruising load. I mean higher then stock but not much. I have been slowly dropping it to reduce some minor timing rattle. Didn't Don M post something a while back on trying to keep psi below 18,000 for normal driving or it puts quit a bit of wear and tear on the injectors..

I didn't know if its worth it to drop it in the spool area. I think the 03's or my truck don't like high rail pressure in the 1200-1600 RPM at cruising load. I mean higher then stock but not much. I have been slowly dropping it to reduce some minor timing rattle. Didn't Don M post something a while back on trying to keep psi below 18,000 for normal driving or it puts quit a bit of wear and tear on the injectors..

Link?

I don't remember where I read it.. I was hoping someone else would remember.

My program its pretty clean for the most part. I don't have to concentrate that much or worry about smoke unless I really get on it. I just need to focus on mid range but I have some stuff to try. Johns calculator is a awesome tool the more I learn how to use.. Thx John!

Could you share your tune? I just want to look at your valley in timing I can't get rid of the constant haze and it's really making my trailers dirty! If john could post up a tune I would love to see it also.

Your 06 and his 03 will have different valley's, and the tunes will show that.

Ok I lowered Duration below 50 load and 2200 rpm looking to stop smoke now I have rattle. I assume you have to lower timing with duration?

Ok I lowered Duration below 50 load and 2200 rpm looking to stop smoke now I have rattle. I assume you have to lower timing with duration?

Hand in hand...

don't forget the labels in UDC for duration have nothing to do with rpms and load....

Could you expand upon that? I keep reading that the duration table is misleading but I haven't found anyone explaining it

Basically the labels are not correct. If for example you edit the 2000 rpm @25% engine load cell it really doesn't effect that area it may effect somewhere else completely. You really shouldn't have to touch duration below 3000 rpm in the table..

Last edited:
I have a picture a few pages back with better labeling. Duration is a calibration table, on how low it takes to get "x" fuel at "y" pressure, that's it. It doesn't matter if you are at 800 or 4000 rpms, if the ECM calls for 100% fuel at 23K psi it takes the same amount of time to inject the fuel.

With that said my smoke is here to stay? I've tryed everything to get rid of it starting to think maybe it's the nature of the beast "Turbo" But even up top in some tunes the smoke doesn't clear is that to much or to little timing? I can get it to a haze but that's the best!

Does your truck smoke if you run stock program? Or have you tried just running stock tq management? If the smokes cleans up then you know a majority of it is tq management. I cleaned my program up quite a bit by messy with just that.

I had a Silver 62 and it had to be driven careful not to smoke. Does the Silver 64 have similar wheels / housing as 62? Think 62/74 with 14 housing? The turbo could make some power but was hard to drive clean. I would think the 64 to be even harder than the 62? I did not have the UDC when I had the Silver 62 and will be trying the Silver 62 at some point over the summer. Changes I have made with fuel, injectors, arson3 and UDC I was hoping I could get the Silver 62 over my 478 to run cleaner than it had in the past. Should help drive pressure and possibly allow a little more boost if I have fuel enough. My truck is still apart and probably will be for some time as work and family are keeping me to busy. Luckily I do not require truck for work.