Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

So what does it mean when my tune runs great at 5000 feet? Wierd that less air would make it run cleaner and have great power?! I'm totally confused now!

As are people that realize you own an 06. Just kidding but seriously haha.

What were the conditions?

Coming up a hill leveled off at 5000 and the manifold and turbo are heated soaked so it spools better.

Maybe looked into manifold and a turbo blanket.

So what does it mean when my tune runs great at 5000 feet? Wierd that less air would make it run cleaner and have great power?! I'm totally confused now!

Elevation takes more timing due to a slower ignition from less O2. You could still have too much timing.

As are people that realize you own an 06. Just kidding but seriously haha.

Haha.. I figured it out by his name and the avatar, unless he moved the badge they both say 06.

But, hint hint, it is a good idea to put your year in your sig especially when asking tuning questions.

Coming up a hill leveled off at 5000 and the manifold and turbo are heated soaked so it spools better.

Agree, conditions are important too.

Even with blankets my first WOT run is always the dirties, then it cleans up. Between heating things up and blowing out the pipe run #1 after a while of normal driving isn't as clean.

Originally Posted by estrada5.9 View Post

It seemed to run great under all conditions even the smoke was gone! Seemed to get much better mileage too! Hey who wants to sell me a tune I'd love to see what you can do with it! I remember running the Old Smarty POD06 and#9 Kicked the crap out of anything I have ever written and #5 gave me 22MPG on a bad day!

Have you ever took the time to check your speedometer? Comparing it with a combination of using a gps, asmart phone app and mileage markers over a 20 to 30 mile trip?

Just curious if you have checked. I have meant a bunch of guys claiming 24 mpg and then I go for a ride in their truck and check it and Speedo is off.. The best truck I have seen was 22 mpg it was your year so now your number 2. I wish I waited and bought a 06 mega cab.. Love those.

Fuel Mileage?????
I am not sure why everyone gets wound up about that.It has always been my opinion that when one is concerned about fuel mileage in a 7000+lb truck,it may be time to consider a Prius.Whats next,my truck doesn't ride like a car?.....Sheesh

No one is getting caught up in anything. More of an information collection of what its possible with proper tunning. Since I'm programming my truck and a 06 the more information the better.

FYI - Prius's suck.. If you want to reference a good car for mileage stick with a diesel regardless.. Tdi, CRD etc.. Unless your am Obamabot.. Go with a Volt another Winner..

Fuel Mileage?????
I am not sure why everyone gets wound up about that.It has always been my opinion that when one is concerned about fuel mileage in a 7000+lb truck,it may be time to consider a Prius.Whats next,my truck doesn't ride like a car?.....Sheesh

I've got to say something about this! 8000# truck getting 20MPG is downright ridiculous BUT very possible with the Cummins! Now that is an empty truck driving the freeway at 70 for a 100 miles but why worry about it?? "I am not sure why everyone gets wound up about that."
If your independently wealthy then screw it but if your not the one percent every dollar counts! I use my truck to make a living and 90% of the time have to head back empty with fuel at 4.00 a gallon a 3000 mile trip will cost about 1000 in fuel here is a break down:
12mpg =250 gallons = 1000.
20mpg = 150 gallons = 600.
This is a huge difference in profit! NOW who would laugh at 400. dollars? Mileage is very important shows how efficient your truck is and puts money in your pocket!

Anyway back on topic dangerous06 what are you doing with tor tq management table? What's your max and how aggressive are you in the second and third columns? I found that I can clean up a majority of smoke with this table with put losing performance.

Good question here's what I'm running:
0-12 =0
12-25 =25
25-37 =50
37-50 =66
50-62 =75
62-75 =86
75-87 =95
87-100 = 100
Do you think changing any of these will help?

Mine does not go higher then 60. Even set at 60 I still get 100% engine load at WOT. Until I get to a Dino I can't confirm it 100% but think of tq management effecting 2000 rpm and under. If you like a touchy pedal then leave the first two alone but try keeping 25 - 62 almost flat then the last the last 3 columns ramp then pretty steep to you get on the 60's and see how your Truck responds.

Last edited:
Brian from smarty confirmed in the 03 thread that tq management does not effect top end wot power.... Kind of..

Good question here's what I'm running:
0-12 =0
12-25 =25
25-37 =50
37-50 =66
50-62 =75
62-75 =86
75-87 =95
87-100 = 100
Do you think changing any of these will help?

You might want to try something like this and see how your truck responds.
0-12 =3
12-25 =25
25-37 =27.5
37-50 =29.5
50-62 =33
62-75 =35
75-87 =52
87-100 = 72

I'm tune and 05CR why are some numbers white in the tables and some are black? Are the white numbers out of range?

I don't know I never noticed that before. On the torque management table just make sure the 0%-12% column is the same as stock.

It's because of the cell color. The blue of the cell color makes black ink hard to read, so it goes white.