Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

That is the same thing i am struggling with. You have to be thinking when you leave a stop or it will almost kill the engine with so much fuel. If i bring the RPM up and leave at 900-1000 RPM it really keeps the smoke at a minimum.
So far Gecovey has really smothed out the tune. I guess as Smarty implements new features into the software we will slowly improve what we can expect.

My program its pretty clean for the most part. I don't have to concentrate that much or worry about smoke unless I really get on it. I just need to focus on mid range but I have some stuff to try. Johns calculator is a awesome tool the more I learn how to use.. Thx John!

Do you think its some funky ecm thing? Perhaps a different ecm should be tried..

Sent from my fphone

We're working on getting him a recovery file from Smarty at the moment to eliminate that variable. If his ECM is bad or has a glitch/ghost/gremlin, I think he's switching to an 06 ECM so he can run EFI. Not real happy with the lack of support we've gotten from the Smarty team on the subject.

What is a recovery file? Is it something more than one of the old beta's?

Since it's a sled puller, probably won't mind the quirks generated by an 06 ecm into an 03 profile.

What is a recovery file? Is it something more than one of the old beta's?

Since it's a sled puller, probably won't mind the quirks generated by an 06 ecm into an 03 profile.

Basically a "blank slate" stock file to flash into your truck to wipe out anything that was on there before and get you back to square one.

Same thing the dealership does if you ever lock up your ECM or if you buy a truck that the previous owner left a different tune in the ECM. Such as if the previous owner had a hypertech or something on it, left the tune on their when they traded it in and then you bought it. Before you could put a different tuner on there such as Smarty, ect. you could simply load in a recovery file to the truck instead of trying to track down the previous owner to get the programmer to return it to stock.

I had a diablosport lock down my ECM about 8 years ago, instead of having to tow it to the dealership to be reflashed, Smarty simply sent me a recovery file and it fixed right up and got it running.

Sometimes they help wipe out any ghosts/gremlins in an ECM such as what Huhta is possibly experiencing. Easy place to start anyways.

I took my truck to the dealer to have the ECM flashed back when I was running the Jr., I returned back to stock before hand and the mechanic said he couldn't access the ECM for some reason, he said it wouldn't even show up.. Wonder if anyone else has had that problem after loading the Smarty..

The newer trucks 06-09 do that. When we tune them with EFI after they have had any sort of Smarty programmer on them, we have to use a fresh stock file. We can't use the "stock" file after returning it to stock from a Smarty. Sounds like a similar situation. Dodge dealership should have still been able to access the ECM tho.

If I'm not mistaken that's how Smarty got it's name. Because they were supposed to be so "Smart" that it was the only programmer available at the time that you could remove before taking your truck in for warranty work, and the dealership wouldn't be able to tell you had a programmer on it.

On a different subject I did some towing this weekend, more along the lines of what I normally do on a weekend. It involved about 150 miles and was broken up into a short spurt of interstate, a couple of 6-7% grades at 55 mph and about 70 miles of 15-35 mph dirt at around 16K lbs GCW. This is what I normally do and what I built my tune for.

This is the first time I have towed in this style with my non OEM pressure map and, as I am sure you guys know, I like the revised pressure. It made me able to pull down as low as 1000 rpms in 2-4th gears and not vibrate the crap out of the truck, or watch the EGT's sky rocket with minimal load. My mileage along this route also seems to have been much better than the previous year with the same camper. We also did a bunch of driving around without a trailer and it's the same thing, slow speed driving in low gears is greatly improved.

Pulling the steep grades at 55 in 5th I was also at a slightly lower load and EGT than last year, I have a hair more duration than last year so that may be the cause for the load change but that won't effect the EGT's. 50° isn't all that much, but I noticed it and it was 80° with the AC on which is warmer than normal for this trip.

So.. MADS how about rail pressure for the JR UDC?? I know 2 or 3 people that would buy UDC tomorrow if we could adjust the rail pressure, just adjust not increase.

"I have a hair more duration than last year so that may be the cause for the load change" How does duration effect engine load? How much to injectors effect engine load? My truck and an 06 are both running 90hp injectors and we are both noticing at 72 mph is usually in the mid 20% engine load. Is engine load a measure of fuel usage? FYI - My duration table is lower the stock below 3000RPM in most cells.

Yes it effects load, because unless you are accelerating the hp demand is constant (relatively and for this arguments sake). So assuming it takes a 2000us pulse to get the hp (ignore rail pressure just for the sake of the argument). With stock tables lets say that is in the 35% load are, if you increase the duration then it still only takes 2000us but now 2000us may be in the 25% load. If you decrease duration you might now be pulling from the 50% load. Those are extremes to visualize the point.

So that's why it may have an effect, but I don't think much on the load where I was at looking at my calculations.

Injectors have the same effect as decreasing duration. Since you get more fuel with each injection the ECM goes to a lower load/duration to get the fuel needed. This is also why the overhead goes crazy high with big injectors, the ECM doesn't think hardly any fuel is being injected.

With a couple of very small exceptions the duration tables from 03-07 are the same, so with similar trucks, timing, mods, etc it's not surprising you are pulling from the same load cells. For me doing 72 is less than 20% load on flat cruise, around 15% with stock duration in all but about a dozen cells.

whew lots of reading, great info. just got my udc in the mail and have been looking at a bunch of the smaple tunes posted in this thread by others.

few questions for you all.

1. if i like a sample tune i see do i have to adjust my stock tune in every cell to reproduce that sample tune.

2. relates to first ? can i get a tune from someone else, like a tune from this thread and run it assuming it is the same so6 platform...

3. any sample tunes running around or inisght for my setup, 150hp tips, single 72mm charger. auto truck. when at the track it takes a good 15sec to build boost at the line and is crazy dirty smokey until about 10psi. on the street it hazes bad all the time and will black out a freeway if i lay into it before 10-15psi. i normally run tntr sw9. low timing to help spool.

Thanks, sorry for all the ?'s , excited to learn to tune this thing and get rid of the 12mpg i get on the hwy.

I am also looking at one of the ODBII deals that works with the smartphone to display load%

Yes it effects load, because unless you are accelerating the hp demand is constant (relatively and for this arguments sake). So assuming it takes a 2000us pulse to get the hp (ignore rail pressure just for the sake of the argument). With stock tables lets say that is in the 35% load are, if you increase the duration then it still only takes 2000us but now 2000us may be in the 25% load. If you decrease duration you might now be pulling from the 50% load. Those are extremes to visualize the point.

So that's why it may have an effect, but I don't think much on the load where I was at looking at my calculations.

Injectors have the same effect as decreasing duration. Since you get more fuel with each injection the ECM goes to a lower load/duration to get the fuel needed. This is also why the overhead goes crazy high with big injectors, the ECM doesn't think hardly any fuel is being injected.

With a couple of very small exceptions the duration tables from 03-07 are the same, so with similar trucks, timing, mods, etc it's not surprising you are pulling from the same load cells. For me doing 72 is less than 20% load on flat cruise, around 15% with stock duration in all but about a dozen cells.

So in short reducing duration will increase engine load increasing duration will reduce it.

Not a related subject but have you or Randy heard of anyone using OBDPro smart switch for datalogging? I emailed them and they said it will work on the 03's and will show Engine load, rail psi, rpm, timing, ect.. The only thing it will not show is duration..

John whats your opinion on dropping duration in the cruise area? I was thinking by dropping cruise duration I could gain MPG and it would also increase my fuel split slightly.. I just figured with 90hp injectors it wouldn't hurt..

It still takes the same amount of fuel to make the truck cruise, so if you decrease duration the truck will just go to the next load cell. Decreasing duration helps with acceleration smoke control mostly, and on large injectors it can make the truck easier to drive in the normally used load cells.

With large injectors I do think you can gain some control over timing and pressure by decreasing the duration a little in the cruise region, but you have to be careful not to make the transition back to normal in an area that may cause surging or instant smoking.

By large I think 150+, but depending on the setup it may work well with 90's too.