Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

Just when I think you've out done your self, you come up with another tuning strategy..

Just when I think you've out done your self, you come up with another tuning strategy..

:)

Nothing too crazy this time, just thinking more about rpm and load changes, versus rpm or load changes.

Last edited:
ah, I had noticed the other updates that morning, but never checked in again for any udc updates. downloaded, but will not play just yet with the new software.

I'm sure it will be in the "Professional Version", why give it away? More revenue for the pro version is the business side of it I'm assuming. I'm not expecting it until then and if it will even happen..

The newer version does run without freezing up.. I wish they would fix the window sizing adjustment for horizontal, (or should I say vertical window adjustment) you can only resize to a minimum of half the screen.. If we can't have copy and paste I would atleast like to adjust the window to my liking in order to match it to the spreadsheets..

I'll stop winning now!:poke:

I'm sure it will be in the "Professional Version", why give it away? More revenue for the pro version is the business side of it I'm assuming. I'm not expecting it until then and if it will even happen..

The newer version does run without freezing up.. I wish they would fix the window sizing adjustment for horizontal, (or should I say vertical window adjustment) you can only resize to a minimum of half the screen.. If we can't have copy and paste I would atleast like to adjust the window to my liking in order to match it to the spreadsheets..

I'll stop winning now!:poke:

I'd even trade the resizing features for the ability to manually enter data on the 10-key. That would definitely keep me held over until the copy/paste function gets released. :pop:

I did a little driving at 73 mph today. EGT's were 625°-675° and boost was 4. RPMS were 2194-2202 according to my UG. I was trying to hold 2200 rpms for ease of calculations.

So using some correlation between rail pressure and commanded mm3 I think I was burning about 28-30 mm3 on the flats per main injection. The pilot uses 4.4-4.5 mm3 at that rpm/rate. Anyways using some more math that comes back to ±21 mpg at 73 in no wind. I am not sure how long it would hold over 20, but that was a pretty constant rail pressure (what all my math was based on) for 5 or so miles.

Rail pressure was ±16,400 and my timing for that value is 8.5°. I was able to bring timing back up with lower rail pressure, with OEM rail pressure I could only run about 6° before it rattled.

So how do you drop egt's? My timing is at 7 ° at 2000 rpm @about 19-22% load. My egts are about 750. Does more timing drop egts or raise? How does rail effect egts? Also john in the spool area (1600-2600rpm @ 30%-65%) have you tried dropping duration? To it seems if I tried to keep my fuel split around 40/60 its to smoky. 25 to 35 seem better for less smoke.

Got it, downloaded the new and replaced the old in my Smarty file.

So how do you drop egt's? My timing is at 7 ° at 2000 rpm @about 19-22% load. My egts are about 750. Does more timing drop egts or raise? How does rail effect egts? Also john in the spool area (1600-2600rpm @ 30%-65%) have you tried dropping duration? To it seems if I tried to keep my fuel split around 40/60 its to smoky. 25 to 35 seem better for less smoke.

Raising timing usually decreases egt but raises internal piston temps.. your timing, I think is a bit low for 2000 rpm and that load.

Simply put raising timing will decrease EGT's, but there you also have to consider the effect it has on boost, cylinder temp, and any effect changing pressure has.

In vague terms if you increase rail you will probably see a slight drop in EGT's, and decreasing rail you will see a increase in EGT's and boost (without adjusting timing).

With your 03 I am not surprised you are smokey in the spool area at a 40/60 they don't like nearly as much timing as the 04.5-07 piston/nozzle design does. It's okay to have a 10-20 fuel split in the spool zone, you want that later injection to increase exhaust flow.

As for cruise timing the 03/04 will rattle with the same advanced timing as a 04.5-07 in cruise, it just doesn't need it to be efficient. You can try advancing it, but it may rattle.

How much rail pressure and boost are your running at 2000 rpms?

Rail Is About 13,000 , boost it about 7-8#. Between looking at some programs in the past and smarty sample Revo 9. Have you looked at the fuel split smarty does in 50% load area in the upper rpms? Seems high or can you get away with higher fuel split in that area?

I think the samples run too much timing in those area's.

I would try bumping your rail pressure 1K and leaving the timing where it's at and see what happens. If you get rattle back the timing off a hair.

Just to confirm on tq management. It only effects fuel under 1800 rpm. So you will see max power at WOT or 100% engine load at WOT?

My UG is hit out miss on showing engine load when I need it lately... So tq didn't effect overall top end power.

Question about falling into the valley?? While cruising at 70 I stay around 18% load and 8.5 timing. But sometimes whan going up a hill it raises into the 30% load range and that's where the valley is timing there is about 2. So the truck smokes real bad "Dark Haze" How would you deal with this give a little moe pedal to climb out or? This is a criuse on situation.