Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

Yeah I'll look at it tonight. Can you post a pic of your TQ Not sure how to set it was going by past posts about keeping it low.

I think this is the area you need to drop timing.

Attachments

• 06_Spool.jpg
    06_Spool.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
You pretty much nailed it. All the info is in this thread, and other UDC threads.

I'm a 07 guy..here are my splits for spooling a S475....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382556337.019320.jpg

Notice how LOW they are everywhere EXCEPT where I'm trying to make hp.

I have a question. If I am only seeing 69% load max, should I be tuning the 69% area as if it was WOT max power area? Les can you post up a timing graph like the one above?

If you have an 03 then the max you will see on engine load is 69%. So if your gauge is showing 69% it is really 100% engine load. If you see 36% that is close to 50% eng load.

03 Eng Load Gauge Chart

The actual engine load s on the right and a the values on the right are what you gauge will be showing. THIS IS ONLY 03 -04 trucks.

Attachments

• 68_GAGE.JPG
    68_GAGE.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
I see your splits are hitting the mid 50's in the WOT area.. I wish I could get mine on a Dyno to how much past 50 I can go.

Typically I won't go over 55% ever. On my pull tune I go 47% but at 4500rpm.

Thanks Les, they say a picture paints 1000 words.

How are your cruise EGT's with a S475?

Thanks Les, they say a picture paints 1000 words.

How are your cruise EGT's with a S475?

Cruising on flat ground 7-800*...slight incline 950*..and going up a decent hill in OD at 65mph it'll hit 1050-1130* which doesn't bother me at all. Rarely will it touch 1200*, but I need to be really lugging it and the way I have my fueling limiters...it holds the fuel back based on boost.

I actually get better MPG around 800* cruising then if I set the timing to get me near 600-650*

Interesting. Are you seeing that on the newer trucks or have you had good luck with the 700-800 Egt temps on the all 3rd gen's? For some reason I thought I read way back on TDR that the goal was 600 EGT and boost under 6#.. Good info thanks.

Interesting. Are you seeing that on the newer trucks or have you had good luck with the 700-800 Egt temps on the all 3rd gen's? For some reason I thought I read way back on TDR that the goal was 600 EGT and boost under 6#.. Good info thanks.

Every truck responds differently but it seems that the "laggier" the turbo, the warmer the egts@cruising contribute to better mpg.

Since heat energy is what spools big turbine wheels, it makes sense.

So I'd say that stock to 63mm, 600-700* would lead to best mpg

66-68mm..700-800*
70-75mm...800+

Of course as I stated each truck is diff and needs to be tuned to it's liking, but arbitrarily saying lower egts always produce the best mpg is simply not the case.

Every truck responds differently but it seems that the "laggier" the turbo, the warmer the egts@cruising contribute to better mpg.

Since heat energy is what spools big turbine wheels, it makes sense.

So I'd say that stock to 63mm, 600-700* would lead to best mpg

66-68mm..700-800*
70-75mm...800+

Of course as I stated each truck is diff and needs to be tuned to it's liking, but arbitrarily saying lower egts always produce the best mpg is simply not the case.

Thanks Les, Ive been waiting for someone to comment on this. At times with my set up I have been below 500* but 80% of the time I'm around 525* cruising flat land.. I will try running a little hotter and see if it helps my MPG's.

Thanks Les, Ive been waiting for someone to comment on this. At times with my set up I have been below 500* but 80% of the time I'm around 525* cruising flat land.. I will try running a little hotter and see if it helps my MPG's.

Your turbo setup will run cool at about any timing value :)

John would need to chime in but to me your timing is to high 1200-1600 RPM above 35% and your spool area has to much timing as well. I don't know what other guys are doing in the TQ but mine looks nothing like yours but again my truck is an 03. If I ran your tq table I know I would be smokey. What are your splits in the spool area (31%-68% eng)? I think because your turbo is not the fastest at spooling your splits should be closer to stock in that area. If I remember the 06's have retarded timing in that area. I would look at stock values and where your at and split the difference and see if that helps with cleaning up some smoke.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ^^

Just an FYI for Dangerous06, the UDC sample files are called sample files for a reason, they are real world proven tunes after 1000's of hours on a dyno..

The sample files are very close to what works on the majority of motors, you need to only modify them to work for your mods..

Start with a sample tune and make small adjustments in one area at a time..

There is no need to modify the duration cells below 3000 rpm..

Notice how every sample file mapping is almost exactly the same below 1800 rpm and 50% load?

My truck cruises 925-1100 @ 70-85 in 90° ambient temps. 181/210 cam, stock head and 11 blade 72/83 .9.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2