Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

I'm going to be starting from a clean UDC slate here very shortly.

Am I correct in my previous adventure with the software that the load number means absolutely nothing that I read from my Edge CTS or scanner? Seems to me to have no bearing on anything.

If I am seeing 17,000 psi of rail pressure at 1700 rpm and 15% load and 15% APPS, despite what the load number is on the CTS, I want to adjust the cell that is closest to the 17,000psi and 1700rpm correct whether its timing or rail pressure I want to adjust? If 17,000psi and 1700rpm correlate to 35%load in the software that's the cell I want to adjust right?

I don't know about the CTS but if you have an 2004.5 and up then engine load and rail pressure should work on locating the cells you want to adjust. I have been using an Ultra gage and I have had no issues but mine is an 03 so the engine load needs to scaled since the max engine load you will see on an 03 is 68.5%.The duration table is the only one that is kind of screwy. You can also use RPM and rail psi to locate where you are at on the table. You shouldn't really have to screw with duration table anywhere except the higher RPM range.

My CTS load, RP & RPM are real close to matching.. I think the load is more on the high side of the cell though. I have a 2005 if you can't see my signature.

Sent From My DROID Razor HD

Last edited:
Load is useful, but the duration table is labeled incorrectly and load, as labeled, is useless.

I am really close with an accurate load reading. In one of these threads I posted a photo of a slightly more accurate load scale.

John - Load scale for duration table? Or in general? I don't remember seeing a more accurate load scale relating to rail & timing..

In general.

There are the appropriate number of rows, but each row is not equal in terms of load increase. It's very close, but not truly linear.

John what are you guy doing with the waste gate table on the 05's? Do you just max it to 40 across the entire table?

I have mine set at 35 or 38, can't remember, and my dads 06 at 33.

If the truck has a command valve that wants to be used to operate the WG then use the table, otherwise set it to 40.

I have mine set at 35 or 38, can't remember, and my dads 06 at 33.

If the truck has a command valve that wants to be used to operate the WG then use the table, otherwise set it to 40.

So lets say that we want to go higher than 40?
I have the Fleece Holset which still has the command valve, but have the potential to run higher boost than 40 psi. Does 40 mean it is capped, or is that sort of the "wastegate off" setting?

John can answer this but I'm pretty sure the ECM can only read 40# but you can get more then that.

40# is like wastegate off, if you want more boost than that then you should remove the command valve and go mechanical.

I have been making a few minor tweaks to the tune and decided I wanted to see what it towed like stock, so a stock tune went in last weekend and I went camping.

I put about 180 miles towing on the truck this weekend, of which 40 were on dirt roads. GCW was around 17.7-18K.

The first thing I noticed is the truck is much noisier, especially at 40-50% throttle 2000-2200 rpms.

With the retadred timing profile the boost does come on quicker, but peaks about the same as my normal tune.

With the mild cam/turbo upgrade it only gets up to about 1300° instead of the 1450° it would do stock, so that's nice.

I really only noticed the lower power in 2/3 and 6. 6th would go WOT on small hills at 70, which surprised me.

The biggest shock is the mileage appears to be down about 15% over my normal tune.

It did give a nice comparison on boost/spool/timing and I think I can make a small tweak and improve some low rpm stuff.

I just noticed that with UDC I can't change the speed limiter level. So what does it default too? If any? Or do I have to load a reg sw program, set the level and then load UDC program in after?

I am able to change it on mine. It's the only option under adjust options.

On a side note to my last post, my fuel mileage did take a 15% hit going back to stock.

I can't see adjustment options? I plug in and its Main or POD, I click on Main, Then ECM/UPdate or ABS, I go with ECM update, Key off/key on, It shows current UDC so I arrow and then the choices are Stock,UDC or catcher? I can not figure out how to get to it... I know this is easy but I'm stumped..

Last edited:
That did it . Geeze I knew it was easy just didn't go far enough. Thanks John.

Someone posted a while back about using OBDpro's for logging a few things from the ECU.

Can anyone confirm this does work as expected? If not suggestions on something that does?

Looking for RPM, Load, throttle % at a minimum. More would be awesome.

ObdPros