Stroke oil in diesel fuel

Fairly common with vp and heui guys. I don't really drive enough to notice a pump longevity difference but it does seem to run quieter. I run the cheapo Walmart super tech and silver power service.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I run the same stuff.

Sometimes I switch it up. I run TCW-3 for 4 tanks then run PowerService for 4 tanks.

So... the mix ratio is 1oz per gallon of fuel? I'm really thinking about getting this in my 06? Will I really pick up mpg?

Typically there is a about 1-3 MPG gain on average.

That because of the cetane reduction. If you look up some of the worlds largest diesel engines you'll find out that run on nearly liquid tar for fuel. cetane is so low but the BTU's are so high. Then the max RPM is like 125 RPM but producing 100,000 HP. Food for thought.

I run the same stuff.

Sometimes I switch it up. I run TCW-3 for 4 tanks then run PowerService for 4 tanks.

I would suggest you consider Opti-lube over the PowerService being the power service is not helping your fuel system with such high HFRR scores. Opti-lube will at least protect your fuel system parts from wear. Look up the HFRR scores.

I just dumped some Stihl Oil in mine with only 1/4 tank of diesel. I have a Monster pump and my truck rattles a lot. The next time I drove it, I felt like it was quieter, and had forgot about putting the oil in the tank.

So do I have the mix ratio correct?

For 12V and 24V trucks its 128:1 ratio or 1 ounce of oil for every 1 gallon of fuel.

For CR Engines its 200:1 ratio or slighlty more than 1/2 ounce to every gallon.

I don't suggest using 2 cycle oil in DPF/EGR system trucks.

dude did ya hear them heads exploding when ya posted that chart....

Yeah... I should know I created a hell thread on Cummins forum years ago fighting my way through all this. As for most all products most of them are margin or failed. Then the other aspect of cetane and injector cleaners... Cetane is backwards to Octane. Then as for injector cleaners none of them actually work being that you can soak a injector in 100% of any product and still have to disassemble each one and clean them by hand.

guess nobody is recognizing allyour hard work by doing a ''search''. good job tho sir

MoparMan, you da man. Thanks for all the info. Like I said earlier, I just tried some 2 stroke in my VP truck and it is already running quieter.

1 question. When going to the track, should I try to rid the tank of the 2 stroke mix? Run it low then add straight diesel, so it doesn't lack in power?

Now if only someone could test Rev-X Distance and Distance +. We sell A TON of that here at the shop. And 90% of our customers that run it have come back with great things to say. We've had great luck with it, same for thier Oil Additive.

His site http://www.mopar1973man.com is just chock full of factual information. Not the typical "Well, my grandfather's cousin's neighbor used rat piss & got 38 MPGs"... There should be some more actual facts about our trucks coming out in a few weeks, too.

Get on there, look around, see the wealth of information there. Join & donate to the cause.

Ed

Last edited:
Now if only someone could test Rev-X Distance and Distance +. We sell A TON of that here at the shop. And 90% of our customers that run it have come back with great things to say. We've had great luck with it, same for thier Oil Additive.

What you need to do is read between the lines. First off find a MSDS sheet for this product. I haven't been able to find it for the fuel product yet.

6 point Cetane Increase (not 6% like others)
Now its just reduced the BTU content of the fuel.

ASTM Labs Cetane Grading Scale to BTU's.
cetane-btu.jpg

I hate to say it but if you looking for efficiency you want lower cetane not higher. This one reason there is always a gain to 2 cycle oil being there is 2-3 MPG roughly at 128:1 ratio. This is also why the engine gets quieter becuase it burning slower and pushing longer through the power stroke hence the gain.

The higher you go in cetane the harder and more explosive the fuel gets but once again the BTU's drop out. Just for point of reference gasoline is really close to the 120 BTU scale (ranging 115-105k BTU's depending on who's product specs you look at.)

So why is it people like to take the power out of the diesel fuel?

Right out of ASTM Labs book...

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

I'm surprised. I figure there would of been more questions...

Well, continuing on... The MSDS sheet will tell you the make up of most of the product. At this point you can look up any of the chemical that they used and then see if you can find a BTU measurement. You can't increase power with weaker fuels. Not to mention all winter fuel does is increase cetane and well all know about how the MPG drops off in the winter time. Well that is 2 fold as well. But the first part is the fact as cetane goes up the BTU's go down so the power per gallon is reduce so you require more fuel to travel the same distance.

MoparMan, I'm trying to figure out thru reading your articles, Is it beneficial to use the 2 stroke oil in winter blend fuel? Or does the kerosene cancel out the benefits?
Is the Supertec brand a good one to use?

Thanks for sharing all your research with us too.

Here is the theory...

Let say for example you know water freezes at +32*F. So if you add salt water to the fresh water the freeze point is reduced. But its unkown how much the the freeze point is reduced unless you know the amount of salt water. So now translating this to diesel fuel say you have winter fuel (unknown pour point). So you add 2 cycle oil with a pour point of -40*F or maybe snowmobile 2 cycle oil maybe with a pour point of -50*F it should aid in reducing the pour point of the diesel fuel how much is not known. Do not use synthetic 2 cycle oils they do not contain any PPD (Pour Point Depressants) and will not help at all.
Disclaimer: This is only theory and I have no hard facts to back it up.

As for using additives in the winter time you better off knowing about where you fuel comes from and how they handle it. Like I've got a list of stores local to me that I know they use PPD in the fuel if the weather should change, I know what the pour point temperature should be. Etc. Think about it how did I get these pictures?

55 Gallon Drum of PPD.
2poqhz8.jpg

One of my local stations that tells you what the fuel Pour Point is.
1zba3ck.jpg

I don't add any thing to my fuel other than 2 cycle oil. I don't use anti-gels or anything else. Have no need for it knowing my fuel is on mark and doesn't require any more PPD.

Last edited:
I rarely add anti gel additives, unless it gets below zero. I was more wondering if you continue to add the 2 stroke when the fuel stations change over to winter blend, but apparently you do.
I was looking at the Supertec tcw3 2 stroke at Wal Mart and it doesn't say "ashless" on the container. Isn't this what a lot of guys are using? Does tcw3 mean it's ashless?

Dumb question here, but is there a difference in 2 stroke oil? By this i mean is there a difference in the marine 2 stroke that i use in my boat and the oil you mix for say a 4wheeler? I ask because i buy my marine oil by the gallon for my pontoon. Just never put it in either of my trucks.