Stroke oil in diesel fuel

Does tcw3 mean it's ashless?

Most all 2 cycle oil today is ashless to meet manufactues requirements also EPA requirements.

TCW3 as far as I understand is... Don't quote me. :bang

T - Two
C - Cycle
W - Weight
3 - 30

I rarely add anti gel additives, unless it gets below zero.

Even at -20*F to -25*F here in Idaho I still don't add anything other than 2 cycle oil. That it. No anti-gel or cetane booster is used.

I was more wondering if you continue to add the 2 stroke when the fuel stations change over to winter blend, but apparently you do.

That's like dumping gasoline in the crankcase oil and expecting the bearing not to get damaged. remember US diesel fuel come in at ~520 HFRR and doesn't even come close to meeting Bosch's requirements. Bosch requires fuels to score LESS than 450 HFRR. So stopping the 2 cycle oil is asking for wear damage.

bosch-testing.jpg

So like this timing piston failed because of wear and galling of the timing piston in the sleeve. The infamous P0216 code. This time its not from fuel pressure but from high HFRR fuel being used or excessive anti-gel or cetane booster.

psi9x.jpg

Remember there is nothing but diesel fuel lubricanting all the parts internally of the VP44..

287iuc0.jpg

Last edited:
Gotcha. Just bought some. 12 bucks a gallon. Cheap insurance I hope.

Mr. Mike on the weekends.
attachment.php

I still can't believe this is a topic of threads. But I thank you and the time you put into the research. If any one was to put up a 6 cylinder bible, it would come from your passages.

So marine 2 cycle is the same as any other 2 stroke?

I've tried everything from Stihl Chainsaw 2 cycle oil to Yamalube to generic no name. All works just fine just I suggest against synthetic oils though.

More food for thought just think of why Europe doesn't have injection pump problems as bad as US. EU diesel fuel has to be less than 460 HFRR. But then the US standard is 520 HFRR but untreated fuel can be as high as 650 HFRR. All US diesel fuel has to be treated when loaded on the frieght to be delievered. So what happens if the driver forget to add the lube package? Do you think they sit down and test every load put on the truck? Just think about it...

Last edited:
Thanks mopar you answered my question. Just pit some in the wifes 06. Seemed to quiet the engine down quite a bit.

MoparMan, I found that tcw3 stands for...
tc=two cycle
w=water cooled
3=third generation oil (reformulation)

Thanks mopar you answered my question. Just pit some in the wifes 06. Seemed to quiet the engine down quite a bit.

Lower the cetane the less combustion spikes. Smoother burn rate and more power produced.

Now food of thought again. Why is it that racing diesel require high cetane fuels and I'm suggesting low cetane fuel WTH? Ok... The answer is while racing most engines have to produce max power at high RPM's so the fuel burn rate has to match so high cetane fuel is use. Now the loss of BTU's is made up in the over fueling of the engine hence why most look like frieght trians going down the track. But for daily driver you should be aiming for lowest cetane fuel possible because typically the RPM's are much much lower than racing.

Watercooled? My weedwacker must be missing its radiator! :poke:
Tcw3 is an outboard oil, the designation is from the National Marine Manufacturers Association. Other things will run on it, although it may or may not be ideal.

Well I got some tcw3, gonna put it in next tank of fuel to watch my mileage more accurately, 16oz bottle to a full tank would be roughly a half Oz per gallon? So I'll let you guys know what results i get even though Mopar man already has all the math and figures lol

I've tried everything from Stihl Chainsaw 2 cycle oil to Yamalube to generic no name. All works just fine just I suggest against synthetic oils though.

More food for thought just think of why Europe doesn't have injection pump problems as bad as US. EU diesel fuel has to be less than 460 HFRR. But then the US standard is 520 HFRR but untreated fuel can be as high as 650 HFRR. All US diesel fuel has to be treated when loaded on the frieght to be delievered. So what happens if the driver forget to add the lube package? Do you think they sit down and test every load put on the truck? Just think about it...

I am curious to the reason behind ruling out synthetics? In the past I have used the two (2) below from lucas (semi synthetic more) with nice results.

http://lucasoil.com/products/2-cycle-oil/lucas-semi-synthetic-2-cycle-oil

http://lucasoil.com/products/2-cycle-oil/lucas-synthetic-blend-2-cycle-marine-oil

I now use the gray DPS just for the reduced mix ratio required, the fact the people don't think I a a weirdo dumping 2-stroke in the tank :blahblah1: and the revised formula has more wear protection additives vs. the old formula from the test.

Props for doing all of the R&D on your own dime and own rig :Cheer:

Most likely, because the Walmart $13 per gallon meets or exceeds the HFFR score suggested by Bosch.

Ed

Because most all synthetics oils don't come with a PPD (Pour point depressant) so in the past more using synthetics tend to whine about gelling issues early. When guys using a good petroleum based snowmobile oil went much much farther like myself I go all the way to -25*F in the winter and still no gelling issues. But I'm also aware of my fuel suppliers who is properly adding PPD's and not. So then again the oil could be only adding a few more degrees but I'm still traveling in the winter time.

Synthetic oils since they are lab created don't start with a paraffin based oils like petroleums oils so they have no need for PPD in the design of the oil. But since diesel fuel is petroleum based is best to stay with oils that contain PPD to supplement the pour point number.

I try to add 2 stroke at every fill up. Going on 300k with my original vp44 and all is still good. Fingers crossed that it keeps going.
Some great info in this thread.

I try to add 2 stroke at every fill up. Going on 300k with my original vp44 and all is still good. Fingers crossed that it keeps going.
Some great info in this thread.

Thanks for the status of your VP44 that is a nice long run. Keep going lets break some records.

yeah, that's a heck of a stretch for a VP!

Well, threads like these have been beaten like a dead horse for MANY years but its important that people know the truth.

As stated above stay away from power service. Think of it as the K&N of fuel additives. K&N is not successful for being a good product, they are successful because of good advertising. the same applies here. Power service is not a good product just because it is readily available at walmart and every truck stop. It is just readily available.

Look at the comparison charts Michael posted up. that test was done years ago, independently with NO MONEY or backer pushing the results. just numbers.

if you care about your truck and the life of your fuel system run a product that was intended for your fuel system.

im not gonna sit here and dry hump this company but Opti-Lube is where its at. no, its not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

look up water emulsion properties of fuel additives and see who is the worst and who is the best. you want the water to fall out of the fuel stream, not mix in and go past your separator.

http://opti-lube.com/xpd-diesel-fuel-improver-product.html

Sixohh remember with Opti-lube its a cetane booster so you might meet the HFRR score but lose MPG's from loss of BTU's because of the increased cetane numbers. But 2 cycle oil is a cetane reducer and the is a gain in MPG's and meet the HFRR score. Just food for thought...

As Stated by the ASTM tsting labs documents...
There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

Last edited: